SASS Wire Forum

Help from my Montana pards

Buckshot Dobbs

My wife and I will be traveling to Glacier national park in early September this year and are looking for some advice from the locals please. We will be pulling our travel trailer from Arkansas and will be coming from Sioux Falls area and camping in West Glacier and wanted to know if we should take I90 to 93 then north or 89 to 2? We are pulling a trailer so the less strenuous hills the better. We hauled it last year to the Tetons and one route we chose was pretty rough lol. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Howdy,

I just saw a bit on tv about maps for truckers.

It seems like it was from Rand McNally ??possibly.

If you do lots of towing that could be worth paging thru.

Probably for sale at truck stops?  Ive only ever owned one truck.

Didnt care for it. Sold it for decent money after working on it a bit.

Best

CR

The " Going to the Sun Hiway" through Glacier would be a challenge pulling a trailer. This is the scenic drive in Glacier. As you asked taking l 90 to 93 ( Missoula) would be the easiest. Leave the trailer in West Glacier to go through to East Glacier and then back. I 90 is obviously all interstate so you miss all the local sights. and small town Montana

1 minute ago, Grass Range said:

The " Going to the Sun Hiway" through Glacier would be a challenge pulling a trailer. This is the scenic drive in Glacier. As you asked taking l 90 to 93 ( Missoula) would be the easiest. Leave the trailer in West Glacier to go through to East Glacier and then back. I 90 is obviously all interstate so you miss all the local sights. and small town Montana

thank you! We have reservations at a campground in West glacier for 10 days, so yes we are leaving the travel trailer there...thanks for the info!!!

And watch out for moose on the road!

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And watch out for moose on the road!

And watch out for griz if you walk on the trails in the park, especially around Many Glacier Lodge (if it is still in business)!  I don't mean to be indelicate, but ladies should check the calendar before walking around where griz can be found.  Go with a guide and heed what they say.  Outside the park and in the same area, you might want to pack some iron!  Can you skin griz, pilgrim?

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

And watch out for griz if you walk on the trails in the park, especially around Many Glacier Lodge (if it is still in business)!  I don't mean to be indelicate, but ladies should check the calendar before walking around where griz can be found.  Go with a guide and heed what they say.  Outside the park and in the same area, you might want to pack some iron!  Can you skin griz, pilgrim?

I'm not new to Glacier, just have not hauled a travel trailer there before. 

I don't think a trailer is allowed on the Going to the Sun highway, anyway.

When you're in West Glacier, consider riding the touring cars to the Going. Quite a thrill. I drove it once with my boys in the early 1990s; never would again. It's just a ribbon along a cliff.

24 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I don't think a trailer is allowed on the Going to the Sun highway, anyway.

When you're in West Glacier, consider riding the touring cars to the Going. Quite a thrill. I drove it once with my boys in the early 1990s; never would again. It's just a ribbon along a cliff.

yep we drove the Going to the Sun a few years ago. We also took the red bus tours, was just wonderful. Mainly just need to know best route to the west side of the park hauling my trailer. 

Trying to haul a trailer through the Going to the Sun highway will net you a hefty fine.  

The boat ride North on Waterton Lake across the Medicine Line is Nice , take your passport ( if the boarder is open ) and spend the day in Waterton Park, Alberta Canada ... High Tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel overlooking the lake is a treat the missus might really like . and Cameron Falls in the town-site, is worth the visit , there is a walking trail up the north side of the falls ... Cameron Lake is an area the sees a lot of bears about both Black and Grizzly ....

Jabez Cowboy

17 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Trying to haul a trailer through the Going to the Sun highway will net you a hefty fine.  

The boat ride North on Waterton Lake across the Medicine Line is Nice , take your passport ( if the boarder is open ) and spend the day in Waterton Park, Alberta Canada ... High Tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel overlooking the lake is a treat the missus might really like . and Cameron Falls in the town-site, is worth the visit , there is a walking trail up the north side of the falls ... Cameron Lake is an area the sees a lot of bears about both Black and Grizzly ....

Jabez Cowboy

Yep done all that, spent 3 days at Prince of Wales hotel in Alberta 

Archived