SASS Wire Forum

Small Pistol Primers on C&B revolvers?

Cholla

I saw this youtube video and started wondering of this is SASS legal. I could see it giving some shooters another option. In this day and age it would be a toss up which is easier to find.

i need small pistol primers so im not in favor right now , but hey , if it keeps you shooting - any shelter in the storm is OK with me ........but send some my way please , i need about 1500 to get to where im going right now , 

There is a whole different dynamic when the chamber is loaded. Wonder how well they stay on when the pressure of the chamber is pushing the SPP back against the hammer?

11 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hey Pettifogger!!

Isn't that the modification "Palidin UK" developed??  I haven't seen PUK on the forums for several years.

I think so.  They are fairly old photos.

A couple of mechanical problems with the small primer plan.  The primers stick way out into the air so the hammer is not going to hit them squarely.  After the cap is fired and the hammer resting down on the nipple the hammer and thin copper end of the cap help seal the gases from coming back out of the nipple vent.  Also, the hammer has to travel a certain distance forward for the bolt to reset.  The small primers with the cup and anvil on some guns would likely not compress enough to allow the bolt to reset and then the gun would be locked up and could not be cocked.  Interesting idea for absolutely desparate times.  And, of course, in these times small primers are harder to find than caps.

Ok, you modify the nipples to take small pistol primers.   How do you get the fired primer out to seat the next ones? 

I'm assuming the primers have to fit tightly like in a brass case else they woud pop out under recoil.

Archived