SASS Wire Forum

Know the Call - Frontiersman Style

Tequila Shooter

Shooting a match and a fellow Frontiersman had a chain fire, luckily it was only 2 chambers.  The spotters were polled (the correct call was made), but one spotter asked me about it.   I told the spotter that it’s simply a miss, unless of course they were lucky enough to hit the correct 2 targets.  Just goes to show that even to experienced shooters cap and ball guns can be a mystery.  And as Noz always says Leave Frontiersman Alone. 

I "know a shooter" who got a "P" on the last stage of a State BP Shootout.
Both shots hit the same target (double-tap) on a stage with two 5-shot sweeps.

He has since changed his percussion revolver loading method. :ph34r:

"A Frontiersman is always one trigger pull away from disaster."

Not sure about the source, but I can certainly verify the accuracy of the statement.

I always figured that the first chamber next to the barrel would hit the wedge on the way out and deflect off at an angle.  And since it's a 1/4" "barrel" coming out of the chamber it would not have a lot of power.  I've only had it happen a once in nearly 20 years of Frontiersman.  I was running short of wads so I tried to spread them out.  It worked for a while!

1 hour ago, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

I always figured that the first chamber next to the barrel would hit the wedge on the way out and deflect off at an angle.  And since it's a 1/4" "barrel" coming out of the chamber it would not have a lot of power.  I've only had it happen a once in nearly 20 years of Frontiersman.  I was running short of wads so I tried to spread them out.  It worked for a while!

Wedge? What’s a wedge?  B):ph34r:

On 6/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

Shooting a match and a fellow Frontiersman had a chain fire, luckily it was only 2 chambers.  The spotters were polled (the correct call was made), but one spotter asked me about it.   I told the spotter that it’s simply a miss, unless of course they were lucky enough to hit the correct 2 targets.  Just goes to show that even to experienced shooters cap and ball guns can be a mystery.  And as Noz always says Leave Frontiersman Alone. 

That wasn't the same feller that had 2 chain fires back to back was it?

23 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Wedge? What’s a wedge?  B):ph34r:

The wedge secures the barrel to the frame.  It sits in front of the two chambers that are next to rotate into firing position under the hammer.

2021-06-09 08.34.07.jpg

8 minutes ago, Nichols Creek, SASS #77627 said:

And I was TO both times. Lol. 

Creek I guess you’ve got that kind of luck.  At least you’re a TO with Frontiersman experience. 

46 minutes ago, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

The wedge secures the barrel to the frame.  It sits in front of the two chambers that are next to rotate into firing position under the hammer.

2021-06-09 08.34.07.jpg

Nope, not at all like mine :ph34r: :D

C0ACDCE3-6C60-41E4-8468-7C37CA72FF7B.thumb.jpeg.ea35de5ae86a304b907b3bd975b1c976.jpeg

On 6/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

In this video WA State BP Championship (Frontiersman Gunfighter) - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com) he has a chain fire while shooting and then afterwards shows where the extra ball ended up in his revolver.

1 hour ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

In this video WA State BP Championship (Frontiersman Gunfighter) - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com) he has a chain fire while shooting and then afterwards shows where the extra ball ended up in his revolver.

Scout, thanks for sharing the video.  When I watched it the first time I didn’t notice the chain fire, then I went back and you could clearly see the bottom chamber going off.  I can’t recall ever hearing/seeing a top to bottom chain, I thought it would only happen in the adjoining chamber, learned something new. 

I've only had one chain fire shooting frontiersman, I believe that it came from loading the 6th chamber (something I never did before and haven't done since. Scared the heck out of me and the t.o. I think more than just the 2 went off but I could not tell. Spotters were very confused.

Rafe

Archived