SASS Wire Forum

Action job on a Henry 22

Snake-eye, SASS#45097

I keep reading various posts about action work/short stroke on Henry 22’s. Does it involve a cut and weld on the lever as is sometimes done on ‘73s. I’m considering getting one and would like to know what’s involved.

I don’t think I am giving anything away here as you can call Widder and he will tell you how to do it.  It’s simply a small  pc of plastic rod about 1/4” diameter and .248-.250” long.  You place it on top of the trigger housing where the lever hits at full extension.   It should be a snug fit so it doesn’t bounce out.  Widder uses 10-22 bolt buffers, I used delrin rod that I turned on a lathe.   Only down side I see is it has to be removed to remove the lever.  I suppose you could drill a hole in the right spot in the receiver and insert the stop from the outside and I may do that at some point in time.  

If'n you don't feel up to doing it yourself, here is one pard who can fulfill your request (from another cowboy's post on Classifieds):

"If ya don’t find a used one, call 'Slater'   (Eric Slater) at 865 / 591-5129.   He is a dealer in E.TN and he is a good Cowboy shooter.   Look him up on Facebook:   Slater's In House Guns.  I bought a new one from him, and had another worked over by him. He is Widder approved.  He is a Great Cowboy to deal with and meticulous with his work. I highly recommend him. "

good luck, GJ

Widder gave me a call too, and I used a Volquartsen (sp?) 10/22 buffer. One I got spot on, the second one needed just a hair more shaving to reliably feed.   The second parts is to carefully polish all the paint off the rails, remove the rough parting lines and mill marks ( I use 600-800 grit wet /dry paper and 3000 grit polishing stones.  
the third step is to check the bolt width. Most are a bit oversize, and need a touch of filing on the sides to .782inches.  Mine were .785-.790.  When it is too wide and you tighten up the cover screws, the cover squeezes the bolt making it too tight ... 

28 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I don’t think I am giving anything away here as you can call Widder and he will tell you how to do it.  It’s simply a small  pc of plastic rod about 1/4” diameter and .248-.250” long.  You place it on top of the trigger housing where the lever hits at full extension.   It should be a snug fit so it doesn’t bounce out.  Widder uses 10-22 bolt buffers, I used delrin rod that I turned on a lathe.   Only down side I see is it has to be removed to remove the lever.  I suppose you could drill a hole in the right spot in the receiver and insert the stop from the outside and I may do that at some point in time.  

The advantage to the rubber buffer is it’s quiet.   A pin would clack just a bit when the lever hits it.  

Howdy Snake-Eye.

You can call me and I will tell you exactly how to set up the short-stroke, just as Still Hand Bill

explained.

Yes, you have to remove the buffer every time you want to remove the lever, BUT all you have to do

is press it back in place again after you put the lever back in the rifle.

OR..... you can call SLATER.    He is doing the 'Widder Soft Stroke' mods on the Henry .22 and he will

be glad to help you.

He's a close friend whom I taught because I have basically retired from Marlins and Henry work.

WIDDER:   865 / 696-1996

SLATER:   865 / 591-5129

..........Widder

3 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

The advantage to the rubber buffer is it’s quiet.   A pin would clack just a bit when the lever hits it.  

Red Knee (the Legend out in Oklahoma) told me I should have named it the 'Quiet Stroke' because

it eliminated that 'pinging' sound every time you worked the lever.

:D

..........Widder

33 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Snake-Eye.

You can call me and I will tell you exactly how to set up the short-stroke, just as Still Hand Bill

explained.

Yes, you have to remove the buffer every time you want to remove the lever, BUT all you have to do

OR..... you can call SLATER.    He is doing the 'Widder Soft Stroke' mods on the Henry .22 and he will

be glad to help you.

He's a close friend whom I taught because I have basically retired from Marlins and Henry work.

..........Widder

My husband and I have two of the Henry .22s that we had Widder and @Slater do for us.  They are SO SOFT and SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT!  I know that it is fun to "do the work yourself" however, Team Widder and Slater do such a good job for a VERY VERY reasonable price that it was a no brainer for us to send them off.  Plus, they stand behind their work...

Hugs!

Scarlett

53 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If'n you don't feel up to doing it yourself, here is one pard who can fulfill your request (from another cowboy's post on Classifieds):

"If ya don’t find a used one, call 'Slater'   (Eric Slater) at 865 / 591-5129.   He is a dealer in E.TN and he is a good Cowboy shooter.   Look him up on Facebook:   Slater's In House Guns.  I bought a new one from him, and had another worked over by him. He is Widder approved.  He is a Great Cowboy to deal with and meticulous with his work. I highly recommend him. "

good luck, GJ

Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

33 minutes ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Thanks to all for the response. Now I have to buy one. Wallyworld has the plain ones for $297. 

Yeah but those Golden Boys are purdy! Like my nemesis Evil Bob says "Shiny guns shoot faster!"

Kajun

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Snake-Eye.

explained.

be glad to help you.

..........Widder

....and Snake Eye, neither one of those boys take nanner splits for payment.  There is a guy in TN who does but his work is both questionable and sticky! :lol:

Kajun

9 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

....and Snake Eye, neither one of those boys take nanner splits for payment.  There is a guy in TN who does but his work is both questionable and sticky! :lol:

Kajun

AND..... he has a well earned reputation of being the biggest liar in TN...... Feller weighs over 220 lbs.

:lol::D

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Yeah but those Golden Boys are purdy! Like my nemesis Evil Bob says "Shiny guns shoot faster!"

Kajun

Realize that golden boys have a different stock dimension than all the blued ones.  More drop at the comb, so shoulder both before deciding.  The golden boys sure are pretty.  

13 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

good luck, GJ

+1000..Slater did a terrific job on my Marlin.  Highly recommend.

Widder graciously offered to show me how to do them, but we couldn't get together due to different circumstances last year, so I tore into one and understood what he was talking about, but I locate and pin them from the side for the short stroke, then polish everything, then set up the springs and do the trigger.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tortoise said:

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.  Does anybody have any pictures of where the buffer goes and how to install it?  Thanks.

I don't, at this time.

I hope to put a short and precise video on YouTube soon to show and help pards know about

the short stroke mod.   It is relatively cheap and EASY to do.   No welding, drilling or set screws.

..........Widder    

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I don't, at this time.

I hope to put a short and precise video on YouTube soon to show and help pards know about

the short stroke mod.   It is relatively cheap and EASY to do.   No welding, drilling or set screws.

..........Widder    

Thanks Widder... I’ll wait patiently for that video. 

If one of you who has a Henry, takes it apart and posts a photo of the inside of the action I will show where the limiter goes.  It’s obvious once you open up the gun.   I am just too lazy to pull a gun out of the safe and take it apart to take photos.  

With the barrel facing away from you, there is a space on the inside left side where the lever swings and then hits the frame to stop.  Has a little lip on the front edge.  You place a approximately 1/4” long 1/4” diameter rod right there at the lip with forceps or needle nose pliers.  The cylinder goes perpendicular to the barrel.   Widder uses a 10/22 buffer, I use a pc of delrin rod, or a 1/4-20 nylon bolt cut down would probably work.  Should be snug so it doesn’t pop out. 

In case some of you didn't notice when inserting the part that creates the Soft Stroke/Short Stroke

mod,  when you get that 'Piece' almost in place, you can  work your lever in the OPEN position

and it will compress that piece in place correctly.

That is one of the reasons that 'piece' rarely, if ever, works out of position because every time you

work the lever,  you are basically compressing it into its correct position.

Some shooters have referred to it as a 'Quiet Stroke' because it helps eliminate any metal to metal

'clanging' sounds.

..........Widder

• 4 weeks later...

Well I gotta tell yah pilgrims. Got my .22rifle fixed with the short stroke with the help from Widder Bless his soul. & thanks Mike for all the help.

Rifle works great.

Now going to do this to my son Leadfinger for his  .22 rifle.

Jackrabbit Joe

Archived