SASS Wire Forum

Imr target powder load data

Lucky Bastard

From the Hodgdon web site: 

This data is by weight.  Therefore, a powder scale is required.   Do not use a dipper.  If you are unfamiliar with this procedure get some assistance.

Minimum                                                   Maximum

Manufacturer Powder   Bullet Diam. C.O.L   Grs. Vel. (ft/s)   Pressure        Grs.       Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
  IMR IMR Target            0.452"                  1.600"           4.7              734                     9,800 PSI          6.3 920

13,500 PSI

The Lee powder dipper kit has a slide card to do the conversion from approximate grains of powder to Measure (dipper) number in cc.  Looking at the slide card for IMR Target 4.2 grains is the 0.50 cc dipper and 5.9 grains is the 0.70 dipper.  

Yep and if you look at he chart you can usually find a combination of dippers to get you the load you want. With a little practice you can consistently dip exceptionally accurate charges with Lee dippers.

As an alternative you can make custom dippers out of small cartridge cases. Solder a copper wire handle to the case and then trim the length till you get the desired charge. Or you can partially fill the case with JB weld and then fine tune the case volume with a drill bit or dremil tool to achieve the desired weight. 

Just now, Bigmcgiv said:

Troll on

Troll on... Nice...

Mechanical scales are cheap... And you're shooting in close proximity of others.

And you tell me to "Troll on".

Real Cowboy Way.

Phantom

27 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Troll on... Nice...

Mechanical scales are cheap... And you're shooting in close proximity of others.

And you tell me to "Troll on".

Real Cowboy Way.

Phantom

The last 5 post I have done you have posted negative comments.  Troll on

9 minutes ago, Bigmcgiv said:

The last 5 post I have done you have posted negative comments.  Troll on

Oh...sorry!

I didn't know you only wanted positive feedback...my mistake.

Cowboy on!

:wacko:

53 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep and if you look at he chart you can usually find a combination of dippers to get you the load you want. With a little practice you can consistently dip exceptionally accurate charges with Lee dippers.

As an alternative you can make custom dippers out of small cartridge cases. Solder a copper wire handle to the case and then trim the length till you get the desired charge. Or you can partially fill the case with JB weld and then fine tune the case volume with a drill bit or dremil tool to achieve the desired weight. 

But you still need a scale..   Alos a lot of us have Lee dippers that do not have newer powders on them      GW

13 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

But you still need a scale..   Alos a lot of us have Lee dippers that do not have newer powders on them      GW

Wouldn't reload without one. 

6 minutes ago, Bigmcgiv said:

I do have one small harbor freight one . But I'm using  a single stage . And figure a vol. Measure  would be easier  and check on the scale every 10th round.

I use one of these. Better accuracy than any electronic powder scale and costs a lot less. 

Smart Weigh Premium High Precision Digital Milligram Scale with Case, Tweezers, Calibration Weights and Three Weighing Pans, 50 x 0.001grams Accuracy is better than plus or minus 0.05 grains.

The weighing pans are too small to be practical for powder so I just use the pan from my balance beam scale.

One thing I learned early on is that these are sensitive to air currents and the air blowing into a room from a heat or AC vent can effect measurements. I have a window AC in my reloading shop and have to turn it off when using this scale.

I also make sure it is sitting level by putting a small bullseye level on the pan before each use.

33 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

One thing I learned early on is that these are sensitive to air currents and the air blowing into a room from a heat or AC vent can effect measurements. I have a window AC in my reloading shop and have to turn it off when using this scale.

I also make sure it is sitting level by putting a small bullseye level on the pan before each use.

This is absolutely correct. Any decent scale will be effected by air currents. 

use good common sense - i watched a guy destroy a real fine revolver last weekend because he was not careful reloading , no one was hurt but it could have been bad , powders mearsue differently in the same dipper - i know nothing of that powder so its worth weighing the charge before you start going along , 

i agree with phantom on this weigh it , be sure you know what you got before you load the revolver or rifle 

This digital scale is not effected by air currents because it has a strong quality strain gauge  compared to others on the market. Been using the same one going on about 5 to 8 years ... cheap, Accurate and free mailing ... I even bought a back up if the scale should be discontinued 

https://www.dx.com/p/kl-50-high-precision-50g-0-001g-mini-electronic-jewelry-scales-0-005ct-2057042.html#.YLb2XC_3ahB 

Also buy a universal powder funnel pan and your good to go 

https://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-powder-pal-trade-universal-funnel-pan-7752433.html 

Strain gauge ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_gauge 

Archived