SASS Wire Forum

A new rifle in .45 Colt. Suggestions welcome.

Having just one rifle, or pair of pistols, in a particular caliber is something that I have found to be impossible.  :)

For the sake of brevity, I am going to limit this post to .45 Colt, but I could just as easily discuss it in a couple of other calibers.

As I look at my collection of SASS type guns, I realize that I have about half a dozen pairs of revolvers in .45 Colt, but only 2 rifles in the caliber.  So, while I could "equip" a whole bunch of friends to come to a SASS shoot, it would not be possible for all of us to be shooting everything in the same caliber.

For rifles I have an Armi San Marco 92, and my trusty AWA Lightning.  For a long time, I've wanted to expand this to at least 3, maybe 4 rifles in the caliber, but I don't want to have "duplicates."  That is to say, I don't want another 92 in .45, but something else.

As far as I know, the only options are a clones of the 73, Henry and 66, and the Uberti made Burgess.  The latter is the most "desirable" to me since I already have the other three, but in different calibers, so it would be the thing that would be the most different for me.   However, I understand that Uberti did not make a lot of these.  I've only ever seen one, and that was a long time ago.  I've not really heard much about them one way or the other quality wise, so I am curious.

All of that being said, I would not be adverse to another 73 in the caliber.  In fact, my nephew the Marine just asked me if I had a 73 in the caliber.   I am not sure why he asked, but let's not speculate.   I'd also consider a rifle version of the 66 as the one I have in another caliber is a carbine.  I think 1 Henry is enough for me.

Is there anything else on the market, and I am okay with used, no matter how obscure, that I should consider?   I am not personally interested in Marlins or the Henry Big Boy due to being a southpaw, but if the price was right I might be willing to consider the former.   The idea of being able to outfit half a posse is oddly intriguing to me.

Wow - another post of the things you've got!

But no pictures???

:(

But, not surprising that you already answered your question...and you don't like the "other" options since you already said you don't like them because you're left handed...I guess top eject is your only real desire even though you want this gun so that you can equip. a posse :lol:

Phantom

I just picked up a Uberti 73 in 45 Colt with the 20" octagon barrel. I am in love with this beast.

So, look at a 66 or 73 in a configuration you don't currently have. That way you get the variety you want.

You want unique?  Do want a challenge?  Desire to have people remember you?  Well here is the answer:

image.png.38149ac4025b3914cbc026932b7126f9.png

This was my last cas rifle that I bought but it’s not a .45 its a .44-40. Pretty rifle. I had to wait over half a year for uberti to build it. Picked up a bayonet for it too. 

578E39D9-CEAF-4AEE-A555-DAEBF7D688F8.jpeg

I have 2 originals, one is definitely an 1873 musket bayonet as it hangs under the bbl and sharp as a needle. The other hangs on the right and I’m not 100% sure as a lot of them hang that way. Might be a trapdoor? No id on either. 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:25 AM, Red Rider Rudy said:

I have a Texas Brush Popper, and really like how it feels. 

THIS ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑.

But, I have a Browning LowWall in 45 Colt!  24" ¼Round/Octagon bbl.  I think it's the perfect Plainsman rifle.  Perfectly capable of typical plainsman distances, and very much lighter and handier than my Sharps... not to mention, easier on the shoulder.

45Colt3.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fi

14 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

I have 2 originals, one is definitely an 1873 musket bayonet as it hangs under the bbl and sharp as a needle. The other hangs on the right and I’m not 100% sure as a lot of them hang that way. Might be a trapdoor? No id on either. 

Where the bayonet "hung", would depend on the country that issued it...

17 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Interesting...

I have a bayonet for a Trapdoor 73, which is odd since I don't have the rifle.   But if I ever see one of these musket 66's, I'll see if it fits.

Dug through my stuff. Here is the ‘right hanging’ socket bayonet on my 1873 Winchester musket. I had to make a brass insert to tighten it on the bbl. The other ‘below the bbl’ bayonet was advertised as an 1866-1873 Winchester musket bayonet. Here’s a page from worldbayonets.com showing the description of the 1873 bayonet. 

D700B93D-2B8E-463F-8BB7-007833AB8E3A.jpeg

CD595190-5696-4EB7-B8B6-5A9F4718E70A.png

if your looking to have something of everything you need a 73 and a 66 , but if your looking for different i agree with some of the above suggestions , ive always hoped to find one of those full stocked .....so far its alluded me - but i still have time , i think , 

Archived