SASS Wire Forum

Brass grabber tool

Lucky Bastard

Fingers on the tip of the hand.  Cheap, flexible, accurate.  Only difficulty is delivering said fingers down to where the brass is.

good luck, GJ

(to read between the lines - you can understand I don't like any of the pickers I've seen - all too much bother and too slow.)

I can't bend over to pick up brass.  So here is what I use.  A picker and a fish tank net from a pet store.  Just set the net on the ground and flick the brass in with the picker.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0001.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Fingers on the tip of the hand.  Cheap, flexible, accurate.  Only difficulty is delivering said fingers down to where the brass is.

good luck, GJ

(to read between the lines - you can understand I don't like any of the pickers I've seen - all too much bother and too slow.)

Getting down isn't difficult. It's getting back up that is the problem.

im using a similar setup for my SASS shoots - the picker i have has suction cup like 'finers' that work well , i took a strainer and refitted with a broom handle to hold the brass and dump it 

Bigmcgiv,

Over the years I have been using the EZ Reach and Grab pick up tools from Harbor Freight. They cost $9.99. The suction cup ends are held on with small sheet metal screws. If you take these off and secure the cups with small #2 stove bolts with nuts they will last for years, or at least until the pull cable or the springs that suspend the cups break. Add to this a small bucket 5" to 6" round on a string that you can lower to the floor and you can pick up brass pretty quick. With this I can stay behind the spotters and still pick up brass around their feet without getting in the way. As for getting down there with my fingers, I shoot Elder Statesman. I can get down there but not like I used to. 

Good lick with it,

Crusty Steve

EZ Reach & Grab Pickup and Reaching Tool 62752 alternate photo #1

Most of the grabbers I have owned and seen are flimsy pieces of junk.  I went to Home Depot and spent about $20 on a good sturdy one that I have had for 2 seasons and I am happy with it.

37 minutes ago, Crusty Steve said:

Bigmcgiv,

Over the years I have been using the EZ Reach and Grab pick up tools from Harbor Freight. They cost $9.99. The suction cup ends are held on with small sheet metal screws. If you take these off and secure the cups with small #2 stove bolts with nuts they will last for years, or at least until the pull cable or the springs that suspend the cups break. Add to this a small bucket 5" to 6" round on a string that you can lower to the floor and you can pick up brass pretty quick. With this I can stay behind the spotters and still pick up brass around their feet without getting in the way. As for getting down there with my fingers, I shoot Elder Statesman. I can get down there but not like I used to. 

Good lick with it,

Crusty Steve

this is what I see most often. And while I've see a few folks using a net like Mr. Pettifogger the most useful catch device I feel is a little sand bucket. Maybe 1 to 2 quart capacity, with a length of small rope or large string tied around the handle. Picker comes up, sets bucket on ground, and gathers brass to bucket. Goes to unloading table and dumps bucket. Most will drill a series of 1/8 inch or so holes in the bottom to combat against dirt and debris gathering.

I have been using one of these for years.

ArcMate EZ Reacher STANDARD Outdoor, Pro Reacher Grabber Pick Up Tool with Pistol Grip, Suction Cup Reacher, Indoor Commercial and Outdoor Use, 4.5" Wide Jaw, 8lb. Capacity, Black, 40" length.

The longer length allows you to reach out past the firing line and around props. Avoid the ones that fold, they break in no time

When the suction cups start to break replace them with these silicon ones.

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

23 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

ArcMate EZ Reacher STANDARD Outdoor, Pro Reacher Grabber Pick Up Tool with Pistol Grip, Suction Cup Reacher, Indoor Commercial and Outdoor Use, 4.5" Wide Jaw, 8lb. Capacity, Black, 40" length.

The longer length allows you to reach out past the firing line and around props. Avoid the ones that fold, they break in no time

This is what I use. Works great.

13 hours ago, Crusty Steve said:

Bigmcgiv,

Good lick with it,

Crusty Steve

This is the type that I use.  I 1st found these as litter pickers that our maintenance men used.

If you shop around, you can find them cheaper.  I keep three in the truck, two in the garage, one in the kitchen, two in the den and one in the TV Room for whenever I drop whatever I happen to be moving.

I usually get the ones that fold in half, just to save storage. 

I use the rubber suction cup style but cut a flat across the bottom so it contacts more area on the brass and does not grab as much sand.  Short cord on a recycled bug repellant candle bucket with a computer cooling fan grill pop riveted on the bottom to eliminate some of the trash 

Buy the way, running the grabber seems to help these old hands running smoother , too         GW

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

my choice also.  as mentioned above, cups seem to work better...at least for me.

21 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

good luck, GJ

I can't bend over like Garrison Joe...if it isn't the corset in the way...it's the belly!!!:rolleyes:

They are all pretty much the same. Just buy the cheap foldable one. Run duct tape around the elbow if it wear out!

43 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I can't bend over like Garrison Joe...if it isn't the corset in the way...it's the belly!!!:rolleyes:

They are all pretty much the same. Just buy the cheap foldable one. Run duct tape around the elbow if it wear out!

The last foldable one I had I used JB weld on to lock it into position.

20 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Don't use the nut  cages if there is any gravel

The nut things don't work at all and so many ranges around SC (where you are) have so much other random brass AND gravel - you'd only get gravel back at a Belton match.

Hugs,

Scarlett

23 hours ago, Crusty Steve said:

Bigmcgiv,

Good lick with it,

Crusty Steve

Crusty Steve is correct. I put the little bolts in mine as well. I use a minnow net for the brass. There's other grabbers out there, but the HF is the perfect length for me. 

23 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

this is what I see most often. And while I've see a few folks using a net like Mr. Pettifogger the most useful catch device I feel is a little sand bucket. Maybe 1 to 2 quart capacity, with a length of small rope or large string tied around the handle. Picker comes up, sets bucket on ground, and gathers brass to bucket. Goes to unloading table and dumps bucket. Most will drill a series of 1/8 inch or so holes in the bottom to combat against dirt and debris gathering.

and you can pick up shotgun wads.....hey we know someone who might use them.

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can't be...N.S....nooooooo...

:o

YES....but he sleeps a lot if nice place like picnic table near..

This works GREAT for picking up SG hulls (not so good on a gravel range with steel rifle cases 6" deep):

MOJO® Pick Stick: Magnetic Shotgun Shell Retriever (mojooutdoors.com)

On 5/31/2021 at 9:28 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I can't bend over to pick up brass.  So here is what I use.  A picker and a fish tank net from a pet store.  Just set the net on the ground and flick the brass in with the picker.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0001.jpeg

This style is the best IMHO, you can pick up  a dime off a piece of glass. I just ordered all new ones for my vehicles and home. Good Luck:)

AquaTong – PikStik

This is my preference. A tad sturdier. Has a magnet which can be useful. And the handle design let’s it hook on my rugged gear cart handle. 

but I only shoot on average 3x/month, so not sure if my opinion is valid. 

Unger Professional Nifty Nabber Reacher Grabber Tool and Trash Picker, 36-inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000V0AGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8XGK4XHGVHBPF9C7569J

186138EC-2285-4F38-AC3E-184FAEAA301C.jpeg

Archived