Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Update your stinking website


Recommended Posts

I do a fair amount of traveling - but mostly weekend trips or short hops to buy something or close a deal.

In the course of these trips; if I can - I like to pop into a local match and shoot.

 

I will be in California in August; so I decided to look at clubs that their shoots (according to the SASS club listing) coincide with the time I will be there.

What do I find?

Websites that have not had schedules updated since 2016 - no monthly shoot dates or times - advertising shoots from two years ago.

C'mon.

It is not that hard - if you have a website; show a little bit of respect to visiting shooters and update it.

At minimum - it should list your shoot dates and TIMES for registration/ shooting (costs would be nice as well).

It should have a MAP or map link to your range (remember I aint from around here).

And it should have a TELEPHONE number and email to an officer that may answer the phone or at least return emails in a timely manner.

 

Clubs whine to the heavens about dwindling shooters and no one coming out to watch and if they are lucky enough to attract anyones attention - they then provide ZERO information to get the person from their website to the event.

I'm not carrying my guns all weekend in California

because MAYBE your event schedule hasn't changed in the two or three years since you've updated your website.

Or MAYBE your club still shoots at the same range.

Or MAYBE I can find your range in the middle of nowhere.

Or MAYBE I might get lucky and show up at the right time.

 

Don't tell me you post all this on your FACEBOOK page - I don't care.

I don't use FACEBOOK - I look at your website (and so do most of the folks with any interest in your product).

 

So update your website or shut the stupid thing down; because what you're doing now just shows how little you care about your customers.

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't tell me you post all this on your FACEBOOK page - I don't care.

I don't use FACEBOOK - I look at your website (and so do most of the folks with any interest in your product).

 

thumbs-up.png

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

Northern or southern California? I rarely look at my clubs website, but I know it has gone through a few webmasters. Guys volunteer to keep it up and then just don't take the time to do it right. I maintain my own business website, so know it isn't all that difficult. If I can do it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Creeker, you are spot on. Come east and you can find us.

www.cavaliercowboys.org

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Mr. Creeker, you are spot on. Come east and you can find us.

www.cavaliercowboys.org

Thank you for the invite - I don't get that far east too often; but if it happens...

Nice to know that I would know when you are shooting and where you are.

 

My next eastward trip will be Florida this fall for a meeting with some business partners.

I'll probably be whining about this again when that date gets solidified.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We have a FB page and we use the free action shooting network, so non-facebook folks can find us.

 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/granitemountainoutlaws/

 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/pages/category/7/cowboy-action-shooting-clubs-by-state/

Edited by Cholla
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Western Regional in August at Chorro Valley.  Their site is updated.

 

Pozo River Vigilance Committee is updated.

 

Lots of good clubs shooting out here.  Give us some dates/areas and we'll hook you up.

Edited by Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Creeker,

 

Here is some info on some clubs in California. August4-8th are the dates for the Western Regional that is hosted by the Chorro Valley Regulators.  The range is a short drive from Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo  Here is a link to the details https://chorrovalleyregulators.com/events/2020-sass-western-regional-championship

 

The Cajon Cowboys in Devore shoot on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of every month

.http://www.cajoncowboys.com/cajonsown/

 

The World Famous Double R Bar Regulators shoot on August 8th.  

https://www.doublerbarregulators.com/events

 

The Cowboys shoot on the 4th Sunday in August.   

https://www.thecowboys.org

 

The Escondido Banditos shoot on the 1st Saturday of every month.

 https://escondidofishandgame.com/events/cowboy-action/

 

Hope this information is helpful.

 

Photo Shooter

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wondering how many of those non-updated clubs are no longer around?

OLG 

Makes you wonder doesn't it. 

Im traveling for a primary reason that isn't attending a shoot; so Im only bringing my guns, ammo, cart, boots, hat, etc.  IF I can know for certain a club still exists and a match is occurring.

 

I shoot with some great groups in California when I can (The Cajon Cowboys, RR Bar, etc.); I know where they shoot and when they shoot and have club contacts in my phone.

But that is only helpful when I get to travel on my own schedule - my California visit in August is based around someone elses travel necessity and Im just trying to fit something in (in an area I dont often visit).  So the clubs Im looking at are new to me and my knowledge of them is sparce - and their websites are near useless.

Ill send emails and research further (and enough people know my name that I eventually find someone that I know)- but if I was new to the game, shy, or less dedicated?

I would simply give up.

All for the lack of a decently informative website.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wondering how many of those non-updated clubs are no longer around?

OLG 

Makes you wonder doesn't it. 

Im traveling for a primary reason that isn't attending a shoot; so Im only bringing my guns, ammo, cart, boots, hat, etc.  IF I can know for certain a club still exists and a match is occurring.

 

I shoot with some great groups in California when I can (The Cajon Cowboys, RR Bar, etc.); I know where they shoot and when they shoot and have club contacts in my phone.

But that is only helpful when I get to travel on my own schedule - my California visit in August is based around someone elses travel necessity and Im just trying to fit something in (in an area I dont often visit).  So the clubs Im looking at are new to me and my knowledge of them is sparce - and their websites are near useless.

Ill send emails and research further (and enough people know my name that I eventually find someone that I know)- but if I was new to the game, shy, or less dedicated?

I would simply give up.

All for the lack of a decently informative website.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Thank you for the invite - I don't get that far east too often; but if it happens...

Nice to know that I would know when you are shooting and where you are.

 

My next eastward trip will be Florida this fall for a meeting with some business partners.

I'll probably be whining about this again when that date gets solidified.

 

Florida Clubs. Don't worry, this isn't a FB link.

 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/blog/235/s-a-s-s-florida-club-list-and-info/

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cholla said:

We have a FB page and we use the free action shooting network, so non-facebook folks can find us.

 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/granitemountainoutlaws/

 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/pages/category/7/cowboy-action-shooting-clubs-by-state/

If your SASS club profile does not list a website or link to your information page (and it doesnt) - how exactly would you expect anyone to find you?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wartrace Regulators shoot the first and third Saturdays of every month and the Tennessee State Match is the second Saturday in October, the dates are 10/7-9. We are on the way to Florida, yall come.   Wartrace Regulators.com.

 

Imis

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

If your SASS club profile does not list a website or link to your information page (and it doesnt) - how exactly would you expect anyone to find you?

I can see where that is a problem. I have sent in a request to have our club sites added to our club profile. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Hey Creeker,

 

If it's the Sacramento area you'll be at, the website is up to date.  https://cagunslingers.com/

 

If that's the site you're upset about, ping me. 


Doc

I dont wish to throw any club under the bus (exactly why I havent stated an area or weekend)

Every club I have ever visited has had some fabulous people.  

And the clubs Im looking at; I'm sure are no exception.

Like most, club officers are likely over worked and under appreciated - but the website is the lifeline to the customer and the most often neglected.

 

But it's not your site in question Doc...

And since I have your number in my phone that would have been a quick fix. :D

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would also be nice if SASS would fix their website. There is still an error message when you try to open a club page after you go to locate a local match. It has been that way for a long time and I have seen the excuse for it. I know you can click and get around it but not everyone, especially new or perspective members, are going to know this. Looks like we would want to make it easy for people to find a local match on our own website.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

It would also be nice if SASS would fix their website. There is still an error message when you try to open a club page after you go to locate a local match. It has been that way for a long time and I have seen the excuse for it. I know you can click and get around it but not everyone, especially new or perspective members, are going to know this. Looks like we would want to make it easy for people to find a local match on our own website.

Yep.  To a newly interested party it Implies organization is nonfunctional.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you are passionate about shooting sports and you say things like "check us out on Facebook" then I'd suggest you rethink your long term goals on where you want shooting sports to be in the future.

Edited by Chuck Steak
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on almost all fronts in this thread. Some websites are in dire need of updating, SASS main included (not as dire as others).

 

I would argue, however, that having a presence on FB is critical for this sport/game (until FB cancels everything related to fun) as there are FAR more people there than are people googling cowboy shooting. With being on FB at least there is a chance that an ad or suggested page pops up for someone unfamiliar with this organization and maybe it piques their interest. 

 

Just based solely on the total number of users there getting the word out about this group is immensely easier and more likely than any other method I can think of aside from happening on a monthly match at your local range. 

 

Sadly FB is how a lot of people network these days and will only go to a website for whatever they're looking at if it's listed on the FB page. I see it as just another method of bringing in new talent to our crazy hobby. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yep.  To a newly interested party it Implies organization is nonfunctional.


As the umpire says, you gotta call ‘em like you see ‘em!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully agree that any club should have an active presence on the Internet that is up to date. 
I understand that some of you are never Facebookers and I understand the reasons. But, FB is the 800-pound gorilla that brings many more new shooters in than any other medium. Look at the sites ran by Doc McCandles. There are literally thousands of folks working to get into the sport there. While we have a core group of posters here, the FB groups are 10 to 1 in numbers compared to the Wire.
While our local club (Granite Mountain Outlaws) has a webpage, we have far more folks following our FB page. And, every time I post on the Prescott FB page about an upcoming shoot, we get more followers. A small percentage become new shooters. 
 

Updating a website takes some tech savvy. The Actionshootingnetwork makes the learning curve less steep but it is nowhere as easy as a FB page. I have been using the ASN for a year and I still have trouble sorting things out when I want to post a match or scores. And a FB group page can have multiple administrators so the burden of posting events, scores, and news doesn’t have to be on one person’s shoulders. 
 

SASS also needs to make it easier to get events out there. After Creeker’s comments I went to the link about the GMO and saw where there was no links to our FB page or webpage. But, I also couldn’t find a way to submit an update. I did submit the info to Ruby Ruthless in hopes she was the correct contact. 
 

And like others have said, the error message needs to be fixed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook is not a replacement for an up to date website. It can help with exposure to people who haven't discovered SASS in some other way. You still need a website with up to date match schedule, directions, fees, any other requirements, match cancellation, etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Facebook "is" because people "do"

...what else am I supposed to do with my internet time?

 

It seems like the same reason one would willingly gobble up handfuls of soylent green nutrition wafers.

...what else am I gonna eat

Edited by Chuck Steak
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Facebook is not a replacement for an up to date website. It can help with exposure to people who haven't discovered SASS in some other way. You still need a website with up to date match schedule, directions, fees, any other requirements, match cancellation, etc.

 

The arguement could be made that FB could in fact replace a full blown website. I hate FB too but all that information could technically be there and able to be updated quicker and easier (probably, I don't know website stuff I'm just a dumb mekanic). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Creeker;

 

You have a powerful post, your'e frustration was well documented, that said; please keep in mind that the entire SASS organization has changed all new board and volunteers, they have been on this task less than 12 months so give them a chance to get things in order.

  Not withstanding my wonder why someone not from California would carry guns into California there is a reason SASS moved corporate headquarters long ago! 

 

For those Pards who reside there (Cali) meanin no disrespect but the State has a whole bunch of issues and most are on the not so good side.

Ya know if ya can't find shooting dates and times just head to South Chicago they got gun fights every weekend time is of no importance! ;)

Regarding Face Book never been their. the definition of FB.. people talking to people they dont know, about stuff that dont matter!!

 

McKeag 23970

21 years of Cowboy Shooting

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Ruth said:

The arguement could be made that FB could in fact replace a full blown website. I hate FB too but all that information could technically be there and able to be updated quicker and easier (probably, I don't know website stuff I'm just a dumb mekanic). 

The information could all be there "if" everyone has a facebook account. Without an account you can only find part of the information depending on how they post it. I've run into that a lot.

 

As long as you have internet service you can get on a website assuming they've done a good job of updating it. They should have a link to practiscore for signups and scores if they use it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Ruth said:

The arguement could be made that FB could in fact replace a full blown website. I hate FB too but all that information could technically be there and able to be updated quicker and easier (probably, I don't know website stuff I'm just a dumb mekanic). 

 

You're probably right, FB is probably easier to update and maintain. I've never been on FB, nor do I intend to go there. I won't purchase Levi clothing or purchase anything from George Soros and company (among others) either. FB is a anti-gun, socialist promoting company. 

 

If a club's website is exclusively on FB, I'll pass on their website and chances are, the club also.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain but personally I’d never plan on attending a match at any club that’s new to me without speaking to an actual live human bean a few days ahead of time to confirm that it’s actually going to be held.  Too many times something happens and the club regulars on the email list are notified but a website isn’t updated. 
 

Seamus

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is exactly this easy to discover if your club is communicating viably.

 

Everyone of us has a search bar at the top of our screens.

If I type in Cowboy Action Shooting in XYZ city into that search bar and your club doesn't appear...

You do not exist.

 

Use FACEBOOK if you wish - but it seems silly to ignore the Troglodytes like myself that believe GOOGLE is the search engine of choice. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2021 at 8:24 PM, Cypress Sun said:

 

Florida Clubs. Don't worry, this isn't a FB link.

 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/blog/235/s-a-s-s-florida-club-list-and-info/

If you can't find the Florida club information, you're not looking!  @The Outlaw Travis James and @Moog post on EVERY available social media site as well as the website and Action Shooting Network!  They really do an excellent job.

 

Hugs!

Scarlett

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

It is exactly this easy to discover if your club is communicating viably.

 

Everyone of us has a search bar at the top of our screens.

If I type in Cowboy Action Shooting in XYZ city into that search bar and your club doesn't appear...

You do not exist.

 

Use FACEBOOK if you wish - but it seems silly to ignore the Troglodytes like myself that believe GOOGLE is the search engine of choice. 

 

 

 

 

You did not say how many pages you dig before giving up.

 

To be on the first page of results often requires being an expert at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which is a craft to get Google to rank your website high enough to rate the first page of results. Very few here have the skills or the time to keep up with the ever changing rules that google follows in their ranking of relevant sites. Use of keywords is required, but over use of the same keywords can actual hurt your ranking.

 

I used to work for a website and actively worked to make sure my articles made it as high as the rankings as possible. To get into the first page can require extensive constant work or paying someone else to do it for you. None of it is easy or cheap.

 

When I am searching for something, I often go 10-20 pages deep just to find website that have information I want but don't know how to do SEO. The Action Shooting Network must work at it as our club's page on the ASN came up towards the bottom of the first page of results. Thank you ASN for doing the heavy lifting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Cholla said:

You did not say how many pages you dig before giving up.

 

To be on the first page of results often requires being an expert at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which is a craft to get Google to rank your website high enough to rate the first page of results. Very few here have the skills or the time to keep up with the ever changing rules that google follows in their ranking of relevant sites. Use of keywords is required, but over use of the same keywords can actual hurt your ranking.

 

I used to work for a website and actively worked to make sure my articles made it as high as the rankings as possible. To get into the first page can require extensive constant work or paying someone else to do it for you. None of it is easy or cheap.

 

When I am searching for something, I often go 10-20 pages deep just to find website that have information I want but don't know how to do SEO. The Action Shooting Network must work at it as our club's page on the ASN came up towards the bottom of the first page of results. Thank you ASN for doing the heavy lifting.

Any time Cholla. Also, if anyone else wants a free website for your club check out actionshootingnetwork.com . if you have any questions feel free to contact me either here on sass or on ASN. we also have an official scoring app that will import the math results right to your club page from the app. No more saving the file then uploading and labeling. 1 shot 1 upload...

Edited by Moog
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.