SASS Wire Forum

A sobering thought on this Memorial Day

Pat Riot

image.jpeg.3eb68b188753cabc78e60af6dff3bd78.jpeg

I posted this in the memes thread but I thought it needed it’s own thread. 

So many of us served in the military and I am pretty sure we all had to make a will in boot camp in case we did not come home. 
I had forgotten about that day in boot camp until I saw this meme. I believed they called it an Admin Day. That was the day that I swore under oath that I would turn the key to launch nuclear weapons if called upon to do so. That was the day I sat in the sun of a beautiful day and filled in the documents for my last Will and Testament should I die in the service of my country. I was 18. 
That was a very sobering day. That is the day it “became real”.

I did not serve in war as many of you did. 

Many that filled out their will paperwork or those older documents in times past that basically served the same function as a will never came home. I am sure on that day in boot camp and signing a piece of paper or a ledger that said “should I die in the service of my country send me home to my family and give my Mom the insurance check or stipend that in no way could ever take the place of her son or daughter.” that is when it became real. That is the day a young man or woman realized their own mortality. That is the day “it became real!”

God bless America :FlagAm:

It was always real.

CB

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did not serve in war as many of you did. 

If "the sharp point of the lance" isn't supported by the haft, the rider, the horse, the grooms, the supply train, and so on it falls, useless, to the ground. 

Yep, you did it. I did it. Lots of folks, down through the years, have done it. Filled out that will, that designated who is to be our beneficiary. 

What amazes me now, as then, is there are Americans that, for whatever reason, still join the service, and can potentially give all they have, in service to the ideals, and concepts, that were put down on paper, so long ago..."We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"....etc. 

What is equally amazing to me, is that you, me, we, all did it, and still do it, regardless of the political climate, or the anti-American/anti-military mindset, that permeates local, state, and federal government, and also, sports, and the hollyweird movie "stars", and incompetent news media.  They have, and do, betray us, yet we still join, and still serve, and still risk everything, for a meager wage, and separation from our families. 

Call us idealists, or naïve, or ignorant, or whatever, but I have to believe we are, so far, still in the majority...silent though we mostly seem to be. 

Was the experience worth it? Well...it was to me.

Would I do it again? Dang right!!!

As the song says: "Watch were you're going...remember where you've been...that's the way I see it, I'm a simple man". (R.I.P. Charlie Daniels).  

W.K.

I didn't give it all much thought in Basic Training. It was part and parcel with the job, even at 22. However, in the picture below, a scant two years later, hidden by the pride and the joy of the moment, is the stark realization that "'til death do us part" might not be so long in coming, as that morning I had been activated for Desert Shield. An attorney and close friend of the family had wills prepared before the wedding, as his "wedding gift" to us.

74674988_10157061583113773_5278892158315659264_n.thumb.jpg.426a595beecc009d8a7464451f825587.jpg

The will, the living will, the power of attorney......sobering especially when going in harm’s way.  And to the brave men and women who donned the cloth of our Nation and given every measure without thought of praise, award or acknowledgment I pray that God keeps you safe in the armor of His love. 

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

I have nothing but sobering thoughts today.

as do most that served or didnt that understand what "service" was/is , i think most of us have someone or more than just one in the forefront of their minds today and every memorial day 

On 5/31/2021 at 11:31 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That was a very sobering day. That is the day it “became real”.

God bless America :FlagAm:

In contrast, over the last 20 odd years, America has been sending her sons and daughters off to die for the folly of failed diplomacy with a NEW psychological reality jogger - the 'death photo'

When we would build our "PAW Packet" (Personal Affairs Worksheet) we had to take a photo in our dress uniform that went into the packet.  some folks didn't realize that the photo was what would be sent to the media if things didnt work out during combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Far too many of those photos have been released to the media over the last 20 years.

I retired on Memorial Day weekend Friday 1995 at 10 am.  We had a small ceremony, no flag, no shadow box, working uniform.  The only thing I did ask for was every person in the outfit not on duty could go home at 10 am.  

Commanding officer, granted my request

That was the best day of my career. 

8 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

In contrast, over the last 20 odd years, America has been sending her sons and daughters off to die for the folly of failed diplomacy with a NEW psychological reality jogger - the 'death photo'

When we would build our "PAW Packet" (Personal Affairs Worksheet) we had to take a photo in our dress uniform that went into the packet.  some folks didn't realize that the photo was what would be sent to the media if things didnt work out during combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Far too many of those photos have been released to the media over the last 20 years.

way more than 20 , VN was no different , nor was Korea , ever since WWII we have been playing police force in too many places , im not going to get crazy here but our interests cannot outway our childrens lives , 

i have some different thoughts on the last 20 years but now is not the time nor this the place , god bless all that we are remembering , nuff said  

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

way more than 20 , VN was no different , nor was Korea , ever since WWII we have been playing police force in too many places , im not going to get crazy here but our interests cannot outway our childrens lives , 

i have some different thoughts on the last 20 years but now is not the time nor this the place , god bless all that we are remembering , nuff said  

Nothing new indeed. Since Jefferson’s administration: Tripoli, Haiti, Siberia, Nicaragua, etc. etc. etc.

Archived