SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy boot question

Johnny Knight

Shopping for a new pair of boots and noticed that the vast majority of them all had square toes.  I've always tended towards a pointed toe, but one of the plans for this pair will be for use in classic cowboy costume class.  So, I thought I would ask those who are more familiar with the historical styles if there was a preference 'back in the day' for one style over the other?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

"back in the day" boots were square-toed, though there is no SASS requirement.  And if you go far enough "back in the day" there was no right or left when new (ouch).

You'll find good boots for this (squared toe and round toe but no pointy toe) for sale at places like Work N Ranch. Brands like Abilene Boots and Boulet. Both brands should get you plenty of years.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

"back in the day" boots were square-toed, though there is no SASS requirement.  And if you go far enough "back in the day" there was no right or left when new (ouch).

——-    ALL TRUE

If you were talking about Roy Rogers,  Gene Autry, etc., then Yes, those early Hollywood movie “cowboy” types were dressed (by their handlers) in that “drugstore cowboy” look.  Real classic cowboys’ boots generally  had moderately-squared toes (not wildly exaggerated) as previously noted above.  I really don’t know where those dagger-pointed boots originated (probably Hollywood) and, of course, they became wildly popular.  We used to call them “cock-a-roach killers” (so’s you could squash them in the corner of a room). >:-(   Cute, right?

Cat Brules

Thanks for the feedback.  I was familiar with the no left/right thing with the older shoes.  I've made boots before for a medieval group that I joust with, but hadn't done the homework on the cowboy boots yet.  Figured I didn't need to reinvent the wheel, since I was pretty sure folks on this forum had already done the research.  Now to track down the new pair.......

Cat, out of curiosity, what do you ride?  I've got a Tennessee Walker/Percheron cross and a straight Percheron for jousting and mounted combat.  Been working on their gun training for a little mounted shooting, though turn and burn clearly isn't their specialty....

Been wearing these since day 1 of CAS.....very comfortable and period correct.  Iv'e been wearing bots since I was a little guy so my feet are accustomed to them....

https://bouletboots.com/product/9003/

https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=BW-9003&type=store&category=7100

Archived