SASS Wire Forum

Date of First Uberti 1873 Win Copy?

Palouse

What year did Uberti start making the Winchester 1873 copy?

(edit 6/2/2021: Clarify and Focus my question)

I know that Uberti was selling Henry and 1866 rifles by 1966 or 1967. 

I am trying to figure out when Uberti stopped making "short action" Henrys and 1866.  I've never heard tell of "short action" Uberti 1873 rifles.

Short action 1866 serial numbers run from 3 digit to well into forty thousands. A fair number of guns, even if overlapped with 1873 production. 

I just can't imagine Uberti making internal parts (carriers, lifters, pins, bolts, etc.) for two different lines, "long action" of 1873 and "short action" of 1866. 

Did the 1873 copy come along 10 to 15 years after the Henry & 1866 were available?  Maybe short action stopped when 1873 began.

I have a short action 73, probably made in the 70's.  It was imported by Navy Arms, but I'm not sure who actually made it as there have been  more than one Italian company that made them then.

Can you find the proof date stamp?  Roman numeral, or two letters in a box?

Does it have notch in receiver face?

4 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I have a short action 73, probably made in the 70's.  It was imported by Navy Arms, but I'm not sure who actually made it as there have been  more than one Italian company that made them then.

I had one that was made by Armi San Paulo I think. But the whole gun was a tad smaller than a Uberti. Really nice quality except the wood was rather  plain. It was a carbine and had the little trap door in the toe and everything.

I think Armi San Paulo started with a Hennry as mail order just before the 1968 gun control act.  You could order either .44 Henry Rem Fire or .44 WCF, ad ran in the NRA American Rifleman.  My brother has a 73 made by them that needs new screws as the heads are very bad on several of them.  I think Navy Arms was the big company pushing, then EMF came on board for reproduction fire arms.

43 minutes ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

I think Armi San Paulo started with a Hennry as mail order just before the 1968 gun control act.  You could order either .44 Henry Rem Fire or .44 WCF, ad ran in the NRA American Rifleman.  My brother has a 73 made by them that needs new screws as the heads are very bad on several of them.  I think Navy Arms was the big company pushing, then EMF came on board for reproduction fire arms.

Yes, mine was a Navy Arms. But I think those early Henry's were Uberti. Some of the very first ones I think were actually made here by a company contracted by Navy Arms. The the tooling was sold to Uberti, I think. OK, I found where I had read that previously.

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/henry-rifle-navy-arms-44-rimfire-union-pacific-railroad-commemorative-made-in-usa-antique.htm

• Palouse changed the title to Date of First Uberti 1873 Win Copy?

When did Uberti start making the Winchester 1873 copy?

Thank you for the info on Henrys and ASM '73s, but looking for proof date stamps or serial numbers of your early 1873 clones.

Archived