SASS Wire Forum

45 colt brass

Lucky Bastard

If you use brass from well-known ammo manufacturers, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.  The age of the brass that you use might factor in if you notice that a significance number of them split.  Generally,

that’s an older piece of brass.  Brass used for CAS doesn’t fail very often because it is so lightly loaded.

(Others here may not agree.)

CB

Years ago at Winter Range, I bought buckets of range brass at auction and I'm still shooting it. No annealing, just cleaning and reloading until failure. Now and then I toss some that get crushed in my press or the occasional split at the mouth. 

If I buy new, it's Starline, but most brands will last a long time.

The only brass I don't like is Herters and that's because of the work I have to do to get the primer pockets swaged out. I like Starline best but never turn down any brand.

FYI, since you are new to the game.  Nickle-plated brass with any headstamp is more prone to splitting than unplated brass.  Don't buy nickle-plated brass, but if you end up with some just use them in your revolvers where a split won't stop you from shooting.

13 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

FYI, since you are new to the game.  Nickle-plated brass with any headstamp is more prone to splitting than unplated brass.  Don't buy nickle-plated brass, but if you end up with some just use them in your revolvers where a split won't stop you from shooting.

Or use the nickel ones to stay in your belt loops, no verdigris.

I use a hodgepodge of Federal, Winchester, Remington, Starline, Hornaday and a couple of other's I can't recall the names of off the top of my head.

Basically I use whatever what I was able to find when I needed some, or was given to me as a gift.   I've never noticed any differences and I don't keep it sorted by manufacturer.

I pretty much do this for all of my brass.

Isn't a cannula one of those cream filled Italian pastries?

i dont do pastries or oil in general but , i sort my brass to clear the bad ones before i tumble - i sort again after , im still shooting some brass i started with ove 15 years ago , i have a total mess of all brands mixed with some new starline that i won at a match and some we bought but i only throw them to recycle when they show the splits - we just dont load heavy enough to worry of wear on these in general - if the still sit in the shell holder and prime well im OK with them , 

19 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Isn't a cannula one of those cream filled Italian pastries?

Leave the gun, bring the cannula.

Archived