SASS Wire Forum

2021 SASS Western Regional - guns and ammo into California!

Roger Rapid

We’ve had a few questions from out-of-state shooters about California gun laws, so I know this will open up a huge can of worms, but it is worth the risk…

Stories about California gun laws typically get blown out of proportion. Yes, our state is a bit more strict on purchasing guns and ammo than Utah or Arizona, for example, but our rules are not difficult or uncomfortable to follow, and you can legally bring your cowboy guns and ammo into the State. 

I’m not a lawyer, so I can’t give you a “legal opinion” but I’m up on the rules and here’s what I know:

BRINGING AMMO IN AND OUT OF CALIFORNIA

1) Californians may not go out of State, purchase ammo, and bring the ammo back into the state. (Powder, cases, and primers are okay and are not considered “ammo.”)

2) Anyone purchasing ammo in California now has to go through a simple background check when buying factory ammo (pain in the butt, but most cowboy shooters are re-loaders so we don't have to do this). Powder, cases, and primers (if we can find them) can be purchased with no problems.

3) Californians may go to a match in another state and bring our guns and our own ammo - either factory or re-loaded - and bring back into California what we didn’t use. (Returning with a bunch of empties and some mostly-empty cartridge cases with a few reloads will make it rather obvious - if asked - that you didn’t purchase the rounds out of state.)

4) Out-of-state folks may bring ammo into California for hunting or match events BUT you may not sell it to someone else while in California, and you must leave California with what you didn’t use. (You’ll obviously be going home with a bunch of empties and some unfired reloaded rounds.)

TRANSPORTING GUNS INTO CALIFO)NRIA

1) You may bring guns into California for your use, but you may not sell them or leave them here. You must take out what you brought in.

2) Guns cannot be larger then .50 cal, cannot be.50 BMG, and they cannot be fully automatic (without having proper approvals and licenses). Our cowboy guns do not fall in this category so they are okay.)

3) Pistols, rifles, and shotguns should be transported in your trunk. They actually don’t have to be in cases, but it is best if they are (having guns found out of cases just begs for an argument). Basically, guns cannot be “easily accessible.” 

4) If ammo is in the trunk with the pistols then the pistols DO have to be in a locked case or locked rug. If the ammo is not in the trunk then the locked trunk itself acts as a locked case.

5) If you don’t have a trunk (i.e., you have a pickup) then guns can be in the back seat or back floor of your vehicle but they must be in locked cases (again, not "easily accessible") and the ammunition must be separate.

6) Ammo and/or loaded magazines must be separate and cannot be in the same rug or gun case with a gun.

7) Probably obvious, but guns that are on the assault and illegal weapons list - which our cowboy guns are not - may not be brought into California.

BOTTOM LINE

A bunch of us California shooters are regularly going to out-of-State matches, going across the state borders with ammo, pistols, rifles, and shotguns. When we return to California the folks at the California Border Protection Stations (CBPS) check for the entry of invasive or infested species and ask us “Do you have any fruits and vegetables?”  “Do you have any firewood?” and so on. While they have the right to inspect for anything, checking for guns and ammo is not their top-of-mind issue UNLESS you make them think you have something to hide. If your car stinks from weed, or you have white powder on your nose, they’ll most likely pull you over and search your car. Even if they do, if your guns and ammo are legally transported, and if you are bringing in reloaded bullets that are in plastic cartridge boxes (for example) with your name scribbled on it, and if you have cowboy guns instead of UZIs, and if you explain that you are going to a match, then they’ll probably ask you where you are going, wish you good luck, and send you on your way.

The 2021 SASS Western Regional / 26th Annual Chorro Valley ShootOut is a match not to miss - come on out and shoot it with us!

RR

@Roger Rapid Thank you for the effort you put into explaining this.

17 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

4) Out-of-state folks may bring ammo into California for hunting or match events BUT you may not sell it to someone else while in California, and you must leave California with what you didn’t use. (You’ll obviously be going home with a bunch of empties and some unfired reloaded rounds.)

RR

Roger is correct - it's actually pretty much a no-brainer for folks from other states.

However, do note:  Out-of-State folks not only can, but MUST bring their own ammo into California, as you can NOT purchase ammunition here.  Bring plenty, as residents are also "prohibited" from selling or giving ammunition to non-residents.  Legally, if you run out of ammo, you're done. 

Part of the "simple background check" required when buying ammunition in California is proof of citizenship and residence.  For Californians, we must have a "Real ID" Drivers License or State I D, a passport, or an unexpired older license/ID that does not bear the words "Federal Limits Apply." 

Just for giggles, you can take a peek at the state's FAQ's ~ twenty-nine "simple" questions about buying ammunition.  Click here to see 'em. 

Ooops... Just advised by one of my club members that I forgot to mention dates....

The 2021 SASS Western Regional / 26th Annual Chorro Valley ShootOut is August 4-6 at the Chorro Valley Regulator's range in San Luis Obispo, CA. For you out-of-state-rs, we're located 6 miles inland from Pacific Ocean, and about halfway between San Jose and Los Angeles.

On-line registration and camping reservations can be done at:  www.chorrovalleyregulators.com.

RR

Wow Hardpan,,, I got tired reading after the 16th "simple question". Glad I'm not there. At least they haven't started sticking it to reloaders yet. ( sorry,,, didn't mean to say that out loud) :o

Isom

Isom Dart...

It really isn't a list of "16" things. The issue is very, very simple: Yes, you can legally come to California with your guns and ammo to shoot at a match (hopefully, our match <_<)!

RR

Black RZR....

EXACTLY!!! You said it much better I did!!!!

:)

R

Just curious.  Does the CA .50cal ban effect everything?  Like leverguns in .50-110?  Muzzleloaders?  Or just semi auto stuff?

Here in NJ, years back they tried to pass a sweeping .50 cal ban that would effect everything, including shotguns and muzzleloaders.

3 hours ago, Black RZR said:

No one needs to know that I'm even hauling guns or ammo.....

That is not really the issue.  The issue is what happens if you get pulled over for DWI, running a red light, being in a collision, getting caught in a BLM riot, etc.  It is the unexpected things that cause the problems.

good to know should i decide to shoot there , sorry , im not coming , something tells me i would enjoy you folks company and the venue of the shoot , maybe one day down the road , but this did answer questions i had regarding the possibilities of doing so , my preconceptions were that it would be a non-starter so now i realize i was wrong , i bet others have the same thoughts , this has cleared that thinking , 

its sad that in this free country we have these concerns and the restrictions youall live under but at least you can still shoot and we could join you , 

thanks for the clarifications 

On 6/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That is not really the issue.  The issue is what happens if you get pulled over for DWI, running a red light, being in a collision, getting caught in a BLM riot, etc.  It is the unexpected things that cause the problems.

Well then it wouldn't be illegal right. I don't drink and drive , haven't had any kind of ticket in 10 plus years. I'm just saying if I came to Cali no one would know unless something crazy happened. I know where to hide my stuff. And it's no business of any state or government where and when I have firearms on me. 

Shall not be infringed

I would love to come shoot West reginal.  I had the pleasure of shooting with a couple of your regulars of the West reginal, just last weekend or so.  Royale Flush and Camp Hagg.  They were great to shoot with and learn from! 

Black RZR...

And we'd love to have you! Please register and come shoot with us. Going to be one heck of a super match, and in addition to Royal Flush and Camp Hagg there's there a bunch of wonderful cowboys and cowgirls here to shoot with and learn from, too!!!!

RR

Item #5

"5) If you don’t have a trunk (i.e., you have a pickup) then guns can be in the back seat or back floor of your vehicle but they must be in locked cases (again, not "easily accessible") and the ammunition must be separate."

Pistols only in locked cases?  Rifles no?

It was my understanding that (technically) a trunk is not considered a locked trunk IF  the trunk can be accessed by folding down the back seat.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, Cemetery said:

Just curious.  Does the CA .50cal ban effect everything?  Like leverguns in .50-110?  Muzzleloaders?  Or just semi auto stuff?

Here in NJ, years back they tried to pass a sweeping .50 cal ban that would effect everything, including shotguns and muzzleloaders.

They banned it by name and dimensions for 50 bmg only.   Californians still shoot 50 bmg, but it’s in a 50 dtc chambering.  Slightly different shoulder so 50 bmg won’t chamber, but ballistically the same round.   Doesn’t effect muzzle loader or say a 50-110.  

German Jim...

Rifles and shotguns are not considered concealed weapons (CA PC 12025) and therefore do not have to be in locked cases. As with any gun, they must be unloaded when transported. Never a bad idea to lock them if you have extra locks, but not necessary.

RR

Archived