SASS Wire Forum

For Leather Makers - Why?

40Chev

Shotgun slides and belts.  Why is the rough side of the leather on the inside of the loops rather than putting the smooth side inside?  It would seem to me the shells would pull or release easier if the smooth side was on the inside.

Once the leather gets burnished either from use, or prior to assembling it won’t make much difference. Typically grain side goes out as that is the finished side, but no reason you couldn’t do a complete rough out set of leather. It would just be a bit irritating locating the holes for stitching. 

Something to consider.

Two surface in contact with each other produce friction.

If the smooth side is in contact with the hull sides there is more surface area in contact producing more friction.

If the rough side is in contact with the hull sides there is less surface area in contact production less friction.

If the look is what you are going for, by all means the choice is yours.

If you are trying to get every nano second advantage out of your equipment, choose the rough side against your hulls.

If you try both as a test, you probably will not notice the difference in the amount of friction.

Looks. The flesh side doesn't appeal to most folks. You can't polish the flesh side and dress it up well with thread stitching. And it holds dirt. Most shooters want that shiny, smooth look with a high-polish. There is that rare person that wants the John Wayne suede-look holster/belt but I would say they are the exception and not the rule.

No,, looks was not the objective it was all about trying to get less drag when pulling them.  I've had the belt about five years and any "burnishing" has probably taken place at this point already.  I've done the graphite and Lemon Pledge tricks.  Maybe I should just stop thinking Butch it might not be what I'm good at. 

I see the question.  CONSIDER:  It as makes absolutely no difference for Pistol or Rifle cartridges.  We haven't seen a "full" reload in . . . . well, just about forever.  Cartridge loops on a Gun Belt are done for "looks" mostly.  Until one realizes how heavy a belt full of cartridges really is.  Cartridge loops delete.

CONSIDER:  Most high speed competitors stage their shotgun hulls "way up" in the loop(s) regardless of type of material used.  Most of the rest of us also stage our shotgun hulls "way up" to emulate our heroes even if we don't have a prayer of a Podium.  Smooth or rough-out as makes no difference.

CONSIDER:  Rifle cartridges kept in a "slide" are normally staged "way-up" in the loops.  In the event a "quick" grab is required for a live one jacked out or a singleton reload, the cartridge(s) just barely retained in the loop(s) anyway.

CONSIDER:  The point be MOOT.  Except:

CONSIDER:  For way FLASH tooling, you need the shiny side out.

My first rifle/pistol belt had all the loops, maybe 30 or so. They quickly got emptied after four hours of carting all that weight around. I think my latest belt has four to six and that's on my shotgun belt.

My first shotgun belt had space for 24 shells! OMG it was heavy and not needed. My new shotgun/rifle-pistol belt has space for ten and that's just because I'm paranoid I might miss a few knock-downs.

20 minutes ago, Cholla said:

My first rifle/pistol belt had all the loops, maybe 30 or so. They quickly got emptied after four hours of carting all that weight around. I think my latest belt has four to six and that's on my shotgun belt.

My first shotgun belt had space for 24 shells! OMG it was heavy and not needed. My new shotgun/rifle-pistol belt has space for ten and that's just because I'm paranoid I might miss a few knock-downs.

You do know that you're not required to fill every SG loop on your belt...right?

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You do know that you're not required to fill every SG loop on your belt...right?

Yes, that ended during the first match I wore it.

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

But if you fill up the belt to start then as you use them and it gets lighter you will feel more energized. 

No because as the day goes on my energy level goes down at  a rate faster than the rate that I use ammo!  The match director frowns on me shooting stages laying down.

19 hours ago, 40Chev said:

No,, looks was not the objective it was all about trying to get less drag when pulling them.  I've had the belt about five years and any "burnishing" has probably taken place at this point already.  I've done the graphite and Lemon Pledge tricks.  Maybe I should just stop thinking Butch it might not be what I'm good at. 

You can lessen the drag by wrapping some shells(or dummies) with tape and leave them in the loops for a while, this will slightly stretch the leather and lessen the drag.  You can also apply some "Leather lightning", sold here: https://mitchrosen.com/products/additional-products/ and this will help as well.  Sometimes the design of the loop is such that it isn't very stiff and this will complicate things, so it's possible you could consider a different belt/slide as well.

Archived