SASS Wire Forum

tales from behind the mask -- HS JV

I was the plate umpire.  Runners on 1st and 3rd, two outs.  The at-bat was nothing to write about, but I called "ball four" on a pitch and the runner trotted off to first.  The runner on 3rd thought the bases were loaded, so he began trotting home and no one said anything to stop him.  The catcher just held onto the ball without throwing it back to the pitcher, and waited.  Realizing what was happening, I took off my mask and adjusted my positioning to get into the "wedge" to make the call. 

The runner didn't notice any of this, and his team left him hanging -- they didn't say a single word to get him back on the base.  When he was a few feet from the plate, the catcher jumped out and tagged him.  

"He's OUT!" I signaled.  

The runner just stood there looking confused while the defense left the field to begin their turn at bat until someone finally told him, "There was no one on second."  

Oops!

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I thought that too. Coaches and teammates let him fail for some unknown reason. 

Maybe he needed a toilet break?

I was coaching some teenagers in a ball tournament years ago. I had a man on first and my batter takes an outside pitch and takes off to first. The ump calls a strike but the man on first starts trotting to second and the batter continues toward first. The catcher stands up with the ball and is confused. Now there are three confused players and the other teams coach remains silent. All I can do is watch because I don't want to help the catcher make up his mind. Time seemingly stands still. The other coach finally chimes in and the catcher sends a week toss to second which arrives just after I yell to get on the base and my player touches second. My player, now on second base, is still confused. I laughed and told him that was the slowest stolen base I had ever seen because the batter struck out. I'm pretty sure the whole crowd chuckled. 

Archived