SASS Wire Forum

S&W Model 19

I've been salivating over this gun for a couple months at the gun shop/ range I go to. Well, I finally broke down and took her home! Brand new! Model 19 .357 B)

IMG_2516.JPG

My favorite wheelgun.:wub:

Beautiful pistol!  I had her stainless sister, a Model 66 years ago and stupidly traded it for some other long forgotten toy.  I recently acquired a 3" 686 seven shot and I think I am in love again.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've been salivating over this gun for a couple months at the gun shop/ range I go to. Well, I finally broke down and took her home! Brand new! Model 19 .357 B)

That would not last more than a few days at a shop around here. I'm starting to see inventory here finally after a year of retail devastation. Lots of strange new brands but some good old makers are finally catching up to demand.

But a Model 19? those will still go quick.

I really like my -3, it is an old service pistol that somehow survived in decent shape. Mine is a snubbie, so likely former border patrol or secret service IIRC.

With .357 Magnum FMJ, it is a nice forest gun. With lightly loaded .38 Special wadcutters, it is an absolute joy to chase a tin can for fun. Also for speed-loader practice, have to reload fast before the tin can makes a run for it to escape!

Nice shooter, Rye. It appears to have similar grips to my model 25-15. I am pretty sure they are Altamont Coke bottle grips but Altamont won’t say…they won’t deny either. ;)

I have a 19-4. When I first bought it I was stoked. Then one day I found myself considering getting rid of it because I was afraid I was going to harm it shooting .357 magnum loads so I kind of put it away for a while to decide. One day I took it to the range with the original target grips on it and decided that I really didn’t like shooting magnum loads all that much anyway. ;) I bought some Altamont Roper grips for it and man, am I glad I didn’t sell it. I enjoy shooting it with .38s and the occasional cylinder or 3 with 158 grain magnum loads. 
CCC70AC0-9CA8-4372-833F-18802E5DB171.thumb.jpeg.030997dc7d6af38daadddf8024380d06.jpeg

By the way, yours doesn’t have the forcing cone issues to be concerned about. I called S&W last year inquiring about the new model 19 Classics and magnum loads. I was told the new model 19 will “probably handle more magnum loads than you will ever want to shoot from it”. Almost exact words from an S&W tech. 

Enjoy your new six-shooter. It looks great! :D

26 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nice shooter, Rye. It appears to have similar grips to my model 25-15. I am pretty sure they are Altamont Coke bottle grips but Altamont won’t say…they won’t deny either. ;)

I have a 19-4. When I first bought it I was stoked. Then one day I found myself considering getting rid of it because I was afraid I was going to harm it shooting .357 magnum loads so I kind of put it away for a while to decide. One day I took it to the range with the original target grips on it and decided that I really didn’t like shooting magnum loads all that much anyway. ;) I bought some Altamont Roper grips for it and man, am I glad I didn’t sell it. I enjoy shooting it with .38s and the occasional cylinder or 3 with 158 grain magnum loads. 
CCC70AC0-9CA8-4372-833F-18802E5DB171.thumb.jpeg.030997dc7d6af38daadddf8024380d06.jpeg

By the way, yours doesn’t have the forcing cone issues to be concerned about. I called S&W last year inquiring about the new model 19 Classics and magnum loads. I was told the new model 19 will “probably handle more magnum loads than you will ever want to shoot from it”. Almost exact words from an S&W tech. 

Enjoy your new six-shooter. It looks great! :D

Thanks Pat, there’s a guy that works at the range that’s a Smith lover and told me about the forcing cone on the new ones same as what you said so that’s 2 people I’ve heard it from. I won’t shoot too many .357’s but I’ll shoot some for sure! 

Rye, I have your revolver’s grandfather from 1975.  It probably has the best trigger, both double action and single action of all my guns.  The 19 is truly a masterpiece.  Well done, Sir!

I have a Model 19-3.  I shoot this revolver better than any other handgun I've shot.  

If I had to defend my family or self, this would be the handgun I'd want in my hands. 

I my opinion, the best revolver ever made.

S&W Model 19-3 "Combat Magnum" in 357 Magnum.

PZBajR.jpg

BCmspv.jpg

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One day I took it to the range with the original target grips on it and decided that I really didn’t like shooting magnum loads all that much anyway. ;) I bought some Altamont Roper grips for it and man, am I glad I didn’t sell it. I enjoy shooting it with .38s and the occasional cylinder or 3 with 158 grain magnum loads. 

I never cared for S&W factory, (or Colt Python for that matter), grips either. My only DA gun at the moment is a S&W 625 that I've posted pics on here before, and it wears Herrett Shooting Star grips. They fit my hand like they were made for it. They're getting hard to find, but if the factory grips don't work for you, give them a try.

1977240597_030-Copy.thumb.JPG.db425d40138421b989940414c072d04e.JPG

9 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

How much did it cost ya?

I’d rather not say, look it up on the S&W website. ;)

Sweet! I have a 19 snubby that lives in my bug out bag. Finally decided that's what I would want if TSHTF.

Years ago I passed up one just like that. Used but looked brand new, box, beautiful Goncalo grips, $300. I needed another .357 about like a hog needs a sidesaddle, so tempting as it was I passed. Been kicking myself ever since. :angry:

JHC

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’d rather not say, look it up on the S&W website. ;)

When I bought my new model 25 Classic the guy at the store said that it had been there for months and no takers. It seems:

1- newer shooters shun revolvers or just aren’t interested in them.

2- the .45 Colt chambering ran off anyone interested in a revolver. 
3- the 6.5” barrel was a negative issue as well. 

YAY, for me and YAY for you that no one bought it before you pulled the trigger on it - pun intended. ;)

My 25 had an MSRP of $1,036. The price on mine was $936. 

B10D2CF7-104E-4F20-AD80-8B9326091F3D.thumb.jpeg.4fef8c081ef91d9998b084c4dfc5e155.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My 25 had an MSRP of $1,036. The price on mine was $936. 

That hurts. The price on mine was $400. 1981. Traded it for a new transmission in my truck in 1992. Been looking to replace it ever since.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That hurts. The price on mine was $400. 1981. Traded it for a new transmission in my truck in 1992. Been looking to replace it ever since.

Well, maybe this will make you feel better; $400 in 1981 would be the equivalent of $1,207 today;)

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=400&year=1981

The Ammo Bros stores in Ontario and Cerritos, CA have one each in stock. 

https://www.ammobros.com/index.cfm?action=CHECKAVAIL&style_id=270391

The price is still $939.00

https://www.ammobros.com/shop/smith-wesson/smith-wesson-25-classic-65-blued-45-colt-270391

Shipping guns from CA to wherever is the same as it is anywhere else. Transfer and shipping would probably be around $50 and there may be sales tax, not sure. 

Beautiful. My dad carried one for 20 years, had a second one, slab sided by King Gun works, that he shot Bianchi matches with, and I  luckily ended up with both. Again, beautiful!!

A real beauty!

It's a great revolver. Bought mine in January of 1973, as I was being separated from active duty. I just saw it, and decided to reward myself for (mostly) surviving my tour. If memory serves, I bought it at the sporting goods department of the old, now defunct, Gibson's Discount Center. I mostly shoot .38 Special +P's in it, but it will digest most anything, from .38 short Colt, to .357 Mag.

Mine is the older design, and has the firing pin on the hammer, & the pinned 4 inch barrel...but...no lock! 

I love my Smith's, but I don't own any of the newer designed Smith's. Not sayin' they are not good revolvers...I'm just old school.

My Two Bits.

W.K.  

9 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

It's a great revolver. Bought mine in January of 1973, as I was being separated from active duty. I just saw it, and decided to reward myself for (mostly) surviving my tour. If memory serves, I bought it at the sporting goods department of the old, now defunct, Gibson's Discount Center. I mostly shoot .38 Special +P's in it, but it will digest most anything, from .38 short Colt, to .357 Mag.

Mine is the older design, and has the firing pin on the hammer, & the pinned 4 inch barrel...but...no lock! 

I love my Smith's, but I don't own any of the newer designed Smith's. Not sayin' they are not good revolvers...I'm just old school.

My Two Bits.

W.K.  

There's an argument here which I don't want to get into because I'm not an expert but there's a lot of gunsmiths that would say the new revolvers have improvements over the old ones. Don't get me wrong I have a model 15 and early 37 that are the old style and they're great.

Archived