SASS Wire Forum

Cell phone question.

I finally broke down and bought an iphone. My first smart phone and lot to learn. My question is about  cordless rechargers that you just lay the phone on it and it charges without plugging in wires. Do these things really work? How well? I don't see how it could possibly word, but then I can't see how cell phones in general work but they do.

Thanks for your help.

Sus amigo,

JHC

They work ok.  Nice as you can just set the phone on it.  Also no apple chip, so they are cheap compared to a real apple cable.   Only down side is you have to get the phone in the right spot or it won’t charge.   They might not charge as fast, but that has not been an issue with my 11 pro.  Lots of battery life. 

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do the new iPhones not come with cable chargers?

Came with a car charger. Only thing else it came with is a cable I or my wife (she has an iphone) can figure out what it's for. Looks like some sort of micro USB. NO INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL. It's an iPhone SE that came out last year, but not one of the high end ones. My wife has all kind of chargers, so it's not a problem. Just curious about the wireless ones.

JHC

14 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Came with a car charger. Only thing else it came with is a cable I or my wife (she has an iphone) can figure out what it's for. Looks like some sort of micro USB. NO INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL. It's an iPhone SE that came out last year, but not one of the high end ones. My wife has all kind of chargers, so it's not a problem. Just curious about the wireless ones.

JHC

Check this out:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208078

I found that here:

https://screenrant.com/apple-iphone-se-wireless-charging-explained/

I hope this helps

Wireless are ok as long as you don’t set anything else on them....some newer cars have them and some recalls and changes as people set keys or other items on the pad and bad things can happen.

I prefer the cord....Apple is very light on printed instructions.  Most come through the device once you turn it on...very odd at first but then you might soon appreciate it if you get an IPad or something else to go with it.

It's magnetic induction. I use a wireless pad for my work phone. Bought it for the wife but her phone cover had a popit thing and the mag field didn't reach the phone.

As to em field worries we are surrounded by artificial em fields from all the wifi and radio connected electronics.

I often wonder if in 1000 years archeologists will be researching and state things like : much like the Ancient Roman's the Information Age developed countries poisoned themselves with their infrastructure.

We have the same Iphone, SE 2020.

The wireless charger they came with works ok if (a big if) the phone is exactly centered on the pad and it is not moved during the charging cycle. When we used the wireless (before we went back to cord charging) I would check the icon to be sure it was green (indicating charging) and only used the wireless charger at night when the phone would be undisturbed. Worked ok but since I use my phone as a alarm clock, having it on the nightstand was a crap shoot at best. One bump in the night by me or the dog would move it less than 1/2 inch and it would stop charging. It also came set up with "smart" charging where it would only charge to 70% during the day and finish between 3am to 6am. This was to extend the life of the battery (supposedly) but since I get up at 4:30 to 5:00 am the phone was never charged to 100%. Turned that off and plug it in each night - so far so good.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Cordless chargers work like any other transformer, except the coils aren't in the same case. The adapters you plug into the wall for any number of electronic devices are just transformers with two coils of wire in proximity to each other - there is no direct electrical connection between the coils. With wireless chargers, one coil is in the base unit and the other is in your phone.

Howdy,

Good luck on that. My iphone drove me bonkers.

I bought an inexpensive phone from target and signed on to Consumer Cellular

and life got way less complicated.

Note my iphone iis primative comparet to yours.

I really liked my Razor years ago.  Nearly cried when it finally stopped.

Text message is wonderful.  Just proof real before send. 

My phone picks up tv spoken words into my message.  Very odd results.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Good luck on that. My iphone drove me bonkers.

I bought an inexpensive phone from target and signed on to Consumer Cellular

and life got way less complicated.

Note my iphone iis primative comparet to yours.

I really liked my Razor years ago.  Nearly cried when it finally stopped.

Text message is wonderful.  Just proof real before send. 

My phone picks up tv spoken words into my message.  Very odd results.

Best

CR

We've had Consumer Cellular for years and love it. Only thing we don't like is it doesn't work outside the US. Never been a major issue but it would be nice when we travel out of the country. Not enough so to change back to the $$$$ services.

Getting along pretty well with the iPhone so far. Hasn't been as hard to learn as I expected. Lots of little quirks but then what kinda computer stuff doesn't? One main reason I haven't gotten a smart phone before now is I was too lazy to learn to use it!

JHC:P

On 5/29/2021 at 12:59 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

It's a USB C cord and you can find USB C plugs and USB C to USB  B adapters on Amazon.    And if you are using AT&T, your plan might get you a free HBO Max subscription.

I just upgraded to the iPhone SE from an iPhone 6 last Wednesday and maybe I've read too much science fiction, but it was a little creepy that the two phones sat there and talked to each other as the new phone took all of the data from the old phone.

5 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Getting along pretty well with the iPhone so far. Hasn't been as hard to learn as I expected. Lots of little quirks but then what kinda computer stuff doesn't? One main reason I haven't gotten a smart phone before now is I was too lazy to learn to use it!

JHC:P

The Apple App Store is your friend. 

Also, the one thing I really like about the iPhone is while they may not have the variety of Apps an Android might have they do not have the “drama” of Android App issues. I had a Droid for a couple of years and had so many Apps tracking everything I did. I did not like that. 

Another thing that I do is I get rid of all the Apps that exist on the iPhone when I get a new one that I will not use. If I decide I need them again they are readily available in the App Store on the App Store icon. 

Add this link to your Safari favorites…or to whatever search browser you prefer. I like DuckDuckGo (in your App Store) and do is Google. 

https://support.apple.com/iphone

If you get hung up do a search on that link to figure things out on your new phone. 

Droids have more apps and more versatility, but iPhones are more secure. 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:08 AM, Texas Joker said:

...I often wonder if in 1000 years archeologists will be researching and state things like : much like the Ancient Roman's the Information Age developed countries poisoned themselves with their infrastructure.

Certainly the question of why we ate fast food until our hearts gave out will be asked. :blink::D

The micro receptacle on iPhones is called "Lightning".  It is Apple proprietary.   So, you have to use a cord with USB plug & Lightning plug to charge an iPhone or iPad.  Apple has always designed their products so they can maximize revenue.  Some of the developers of the apps on the app store have said Apple's cut of the fee for an app is 30%.  Also, the only way you can install an app that isn't in the Store is to "Jail Break" the phone which Apple says they won't support a product that has been jail breaked.

P.S.  The disadvantage of using the Lightning receptacle is it collects dust & dirt which eventually prevents reliable electrical connection.  So unless you have an air compressor get a can of compressed air to blow out the receptacle when you have charging or communications issues when using a cord to connect with a Windows or Apple tablet, laptop or desktop computer.

I hate wires and cables!  I use the wireless chargers for all my iphones and have never had an issue.  Simple and convenient.  The Apple Watch can only be charged wirelessly.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:36 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I finally broke down and bought an iphone. My first smart phone and lot to learn. My question is about  cordless rechargers that you just lay the phone on it and it charges without plugging in wires. Do these things really work? How well? I don't see how it could possibly word, but then I can't see how cell phones in general work but they do.

Thanks for your help.

Sus amigo,

JHC

Do these things really work? Yes they really do work!

How well?  Very well.  IMHO better then when directly plugged in.  Wife's iPhone was 3 or 4 generation old.  You had to wiggle the power cord to get the phone to recharge.  Problem was getting worse and worse.  I updated her to a SE model (same as mine).  Now she just lays it on the magnetic "hockey puck" charger to recharge.  

P.S.  Later we discovered her old phone charge port was filled with pocket lint which prevent the phone from recharging.  Toothpick and patience corrected that problem.   Oh well, she "needed" an updated phone with more memory anyway for all the grandkids pictures.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:24 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do the new iPhones not come with cable chargers?

Yes they do.

Archived