SASS Wire Forum

4 Gauge Shotgun

Pat Riot

Several years ago, I got to hold a Holland & Holland 4-bore hammered double barrel.

It was in the H&H gun room in New York City.  The gun was not for sale as it was part of their permanent collection.

The gun weighed 24 pounds (I understand why hunters had gun bearers).  It was made in the early 1890's and was designed to shoot elephants.   They had still some ammo for it.  And, yes, it fired slugs--not shot.  I'm convinced it'd kill an elephant.

Beautiful weapon.

Yep.  I'd have to one time at least.

Dad traded into a 4 gauge shotgun when I was a very young child.  He didn't keep it long, and never fired it that I knew of.  

6 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

I should think most of us are dumb enough to try this once.

Twice.  First time to get the feel of it, second time to show your friends rolling on the ground laughing at you that you really CAN shoot it without it knocking you down!

I probably would, if pulling both triggers of a 12 1/2 lb 10 gauge ( 1.5 ounce, 120grs each shell)  doesn't bother me or hurt, than a 4 gauge should be doable.

Here is another video of people shooting a 4 bore

Did you notice the hammer rebounding as the main powder charge ignited and blew some gas backwards through the percussion nipple?  About the 44-45 second mark.

My father showed me a shell -- I think it was a four-bore -- he said it was used to shoot the plug out of a steel refinery's retort, to allow molten steel to flow into the crucible.
I think.
This is a memory from my childhood, back in my beardless youth, so I am not at all sure if this is accurate.

5 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

My father showed me a shell -- I think it was a four-bore -- he said it was used to shoot the plug out of a steel refinery's retort, to allow molten steel to flow into the crucible.
I think.
This is a memory from my childhood, back in my beardless youth, so I am not at all sure if this is accurate.

Years ago I was at a job interview in Pittsburgh PA at a steel mill. I heard someone say they needed to get shells for the (something) Gun. I cannot recall what they called it. Anyway, I asked about it and the guy I was talking to said pretty much what you said. 

22 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Did you notice the hammer rebounding as the main powder charge ignited and blew some gas backwards through the percussion nipple?  About the 44-45 second mark.

Yep. Saw that. 

The guys in that video seemed to be much more prepared for the recoil than the  video that I posted. :D

We used an 8 gauge at the paper mill to break up lime buildup in the kiln till the safety folks decided it would be too easy for some one to tote a 100 lb single shot cannon around and kill all the coworkers.

None for me thanks.
I look at those same as a S&W 500 or playing chicken with a train.

In the movie, "The Mummy Returns" they have an 8-gauge shotgun as a movie prop.
It is a real gun, borrowed from a collector to make the movie.
They show the old 1930s era shotshells and the size of them.

42 minutes ago, bgavin said:

None for me thanks.
I look at those same as a S&W 500 or playing chicken with a train.

I hear ya! Years ago I was “dumb” enough to shoot anything anyone had to offer up. I would have shot that 4 gauge. I would have shot a .500 S&W.
I have shot many guns that I truly regret now, mostly because I have wrist and thumb joint issues. 

Before this CoVid silliness took off the indoor range I go to had a S&W .500 and a .460, I think it was a .460. Not up on my hand abuse rounds. Anyway you could rent these things and shoot them with range ammo. I think they sold you 20 rounds at about $1.50 a round. 
3 guys were shooting together and wanted to rent the .500. As the range guy was telling them about the importance of a good grip and relaxing the elbow, “but not too much” I was just watching and wondering if I should say something to these guys about my hand issues. I decided to say “Gents, follow what this man is telling you. A light grip or an improper grip can injure you for life.”

They looked at me like I was intruding, which I was, so I grabbed my stuff and headed to my side of the range. The range is two sided, 8 lanes per side. 
Unfortunately for those of us in the right side those 3 came into that side with the dinosaur gun. 
The report was downright awful indoors. They had fired it once each, 5 rounds per firing and I thought “Great, they only have 5 rounds left. One guy decided to fire the last 5 because the other 2 were “chicken”. 

As I was getting another target off the counter behind me at my lane I looked over and one guy was holding his hand and complaining that he “Must not have been holding it right. My wrist really hurts.”

I just shook my head. 
As I was leaving, they were leaving. 
I asked the guy how his wrist was and he said it was sore. I told him that he should get it looked at he said “Yeah, maybe.”

As I was putting my range bag in my truck I could here these guys excitedly talking about .44 magnums and how if they could handle the .500 why not get .44 magnums. :blink:

Then I thought to myself “Yep, that would have been me too at 25.”

My neighbor sold his 454 Casull, and bought the 460.
He hates it, because it absolutely kills his shooting hand.

For decades I avoided 44 mag for the same reason... I'm just not into punishment.
When I got interested in SASS and reloading, I learned to do mouse fart loads for 44 mag (SP and Russian) and also for 30-06.

Three rounds of trap every week with my 870 was enough to motivate me into shooting trap with the V3 instead.
I have permanent damage in my opposite shoulder from the gym, so I sure as hell don't want the good shoulder ripped or arthritic.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:57 AM, bgavin said:

My neighbor sold his 454 Casull, and bought the 460.
He hates it, because it absolutely kills his shooting hand.

For decades I avoided 44 mag for the same reason... I'm just not into punishment.
When I got interested in SASS and reloading, I learned to do mouse fart loads for 44 mag (SP and Russian) and also for 30-06.

Three rounds of trap every week with my 870 was enough to motivate me into shooting trap with the V3 instead.
I have permanent damage in my opposite shoulder from the gym, so I sure as hell don't want the good shoulder ripped or arthritic.

The advantage of the 460 S&W Magnum is its' chamber can fire 454 Casull & 45 Colt.  Also for critter protection in brown bear country you can load it with 460 ammo.  I would not own a revolver that fired 44M or more powerful cartridges if it wasn't ported & have energy absorbing or Jerry Miculek  grips.    The gift my wife & I gave to my son when he graduated from paramedic school was a 44M Taurus Raging Bull in 44M.  I decided on the Taurus after renting it and a model 29 at a indoor range.  The unported model 29 was not pleasant to shoot.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:44 AM, Sawhorse Kid said:

I should think most of us are dumb enough to try this once.

I was gonna say , what the heck I’ll take a shot!!!

In the late 1800's, early 1900's, the commercial waterfowl hunters used them and they were called "punt guns". They shot them at rafted up waterfowl from a rest  (usually a gimbal or tripod) in a sneak boat called a "punt". They could devastate waterfowl literally killing hundreds of them for market. This is the main reason the feds got involved in the management of migratory waterfowl. The commercial hunters also were mainly responsible for the extinction of the passenger pigeon. 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:48 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am pretty sure I wouldn’t…

https://youtu.be/8uJouw9uh84

Well SHUX, Pat... I'd hold your beer for ya!  :) 

Archived