SASS Wire Forum

WTC: Shooter's Choice

On 5/29/2021 at 4:41 AM, John Kloehr said:

Perhaps someday I will understand the rules of this game.

Once you do, will you please explain them to me? :D 

Good video!

1 hour ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Once you do, will you please explain them to me? :D 

Good video!

The flowchart is a great aid, but I do have a question for a WTC thread that I have not figured out how to ask. Someday... Maybe after I actually get a call on me when I trip over it. Not that I care about the score, I'm not that fast. But there is some core thing I just don't get and can't put it into words. And I don't think I should be a spotter until I figure it out.

Think about this - If you don’t participate as a spotter how can you expect to learn the rules?  You can read them and internalize them but if you do not put that “knowledge” to practical application - you will never understand it 

I really appreciate how you take one topic and explain it. Thanks

4 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

The flowchart is a great aid, but I do have a question for a WTC thread that I have not figured out how to ask. Someday... Maybe after I actually get a call on me when I trip over it. Not that I care about the score, I'm not that fast. But there is some core thing I just don't get and can't put it into words. And I don't think I should be a spotter until I figure it out.

There is a reason we have 3 spotters. Step up and become one of the three.

Take the RO 1 class at the earliest opportunity then take the RO 2 class. Even if you never take the timer both classes will make you a more valuable member of your posse and possibly a better shooter as well 

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There is a reason we have 3 spotters. Step up and become one of the three.

Take the RO 1 class at the earliest opportunity then take the RO 2 class. Even if you never take the timer both classes will make you a more valuable member of your posse and possibly a better shooter as well 

I've taken RO1 recently, but have only shot at a handful of matches.

This month will be the first time I will be shooting a full match with all my own firearms, leather, cart, etc.

I've tried picking brass to help out, but just can not see it clearly in the gravel. One3 thing I can do -- and do it -- is to help tear down after the match.

I also watch other shooters and practice spotting. To see I close I am to the actual experienced spotters. So far, most competitors would probably love having me spot. I observe fewer certain misses and almost never see a P.

27 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I've taken RO1 recently, but have only shot at a handful of matches.

This month will be the first time I will be shooting a full match with all my own firearms, leather, cart, etc.

I've tried picking brass to help out, but just can not see it clearly in the gravel. One3 thing I can do -- and do it -- is to help tear down after the match.

I also watch other shooters and practice spotting. To see I close I am to the actual experienced spotters. So far, most competitors would probably love having me spot. I observe fewer certain misses and almost never see a P.

Experienced spotters...that's funny. Go to the Nationals, EOT...every major match and you'll see crappy spotting. People sitting around where you can't even see targets...not even trying to see the targets...and they're "Spotting". Want to be a good spotter? Try and stay with the shooter so you can see the targets...and the whole RO program does NOTHING to alleviate this problem. No amount of "Book" knowledge can get a person off their a$$ to do a good job at spotting.

Tearing down is vey helpful to the club...but it does nothing to help the Posse. Keep picking brass (you know posses can usually benefit from two "Brassers")...reset targets...enter scores...lots of stuff that actually helps a posse run.

Phantom

Excellent video-Many spotters miss the fact that jacking out a round is engaging a target.   

On 5/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, John Kloehr said:

The biggest thing to remember as a spotter is the benefit of doubt goes to the shooter. If you think it's a hit, if you think it's a miss, it's a hit. It's only a miss if you know for sure it's a miss. If I'm a TO and you tell me you think it's a miss I'll call it a hit! When making a call be sure of your call. With some stages it's impossible to get a perfect view of all targets so you might miss an edge hit, that is why we have 3 spotters. If another spotter or the TO tells me they saw an edge hit when I'm spotting I'm happy to change my call.  "P's" can be difficult to call especially if you're spotting for a double cocking Outlaw shooter.

Randy

Honestly, I can't see brass in gravel. Virtually invisible. I can still drive and read and do lots of other things, but I can not see yellow brass in grey gravel... it just is not there.

I can see my sights, I can see the targets. I can see my ammo on the table to load at arm's length. I can not see brass in gravel at my feet.

Once I learn a bit more, I'm sure I can work a loading or unloading table. Scoring... On paper, sure, but I can barely make out content on screens in daylight. That includes seeing the time on the LCD timers, not just entering the info on a tablet. The numbers and the background are almost the same shade of gray to me in daylight (timer, tablet, computer, my phone... can barely make see anything on them). I can see them fine indoors. If I ask what my time was, don't show me the timer or the tablet, tell me!

Doc has me on drops to hopefully keep it from getting worse.

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Honestly, I can't see brass in gravel. Virtually invisible. I can still drive and read and do lots of other things, but I can not see yellow brass in grey gravel... it just is not there.

I can see my sights, I can see the targets. I can see my ammo on the table to load at arm's length. I can not see brass in gravel at my feet.

Once I learn a bit more, I'm sure I can work a loading or unloading table. Scoring... On paper, sure, but I can barely make out content on screens in daylight. That includes seeing the time on the LCD timers, not just entering the info on a tablet. The numbers and the background are almost the same shade of gray to me in daylight (timer, tablet, computer, my phone... can barely make see anything on them). I can see them fine indoors. If I ask what my time was, don't show me the timer or the tablet, tell me!

Doc has me on drops to hopefully keep it from getting worse.

John, have you tried Rose colored lenses? It helped one friend of mine, but not another.

What do you mean “Dudley Do-Wrong,” Slick?

Apparently, everyone is rather dim-witted except you; is that how you see it?

”The Shooter” is most likely the better choice.

Cat Brules

8 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

Bless your heart, you're working under so many misconceptions. Actually, I'm the one who came up with the name Dudley Do-Wrong for the little character who will constantly have everything go wrong in spite of his best intentions because I adore the old Dudley Do-Right cartoon and wanted to make it clear no actual competitor was being made fun of or disparaged when we need to show mistakes that happen while competing. If you choose to see something nefarious in my intentions, feel free to p.m. me and I will give you my phone number so we can talk things out directly.

57 minutes ago, Alchemist Belle 93666 said:

Bless your heart, you're working under so many misconceptions. Actually, I'm the one who came up with the name Dudley Do-Wrong for the little character who will constantly have everything go wrong in spite of his best intentions because I adore the old Dudley Do-Right cartoon and wanted to make it clear no actual competitor was being made fun of or disparaged when we need to show mistakes that happen while competing. If you choose to see something nefarious in my intentions, feel free to p.m. me and I will give you my phone number so we can talk things out directly.

Awesome way to keep things focused on the true issues at hand!

And don't worry about Cat Brules, he not a shooter...or at least hasn't shot anywhere for years. He just likes to post things to make it seem like he does...shoot somewhere...

Keep up the good work!

Phantom

13 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

Panties >>> wad! :P

15 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

That is your takeaway?? I see a guy who is giving countless hours of his time to make instructional videos, for a game he obviously loves. There is no monetization that I am aware of for shooting videos. And the content seems to be geared for newer shooters who sometimes struggle for this information. Good work Branchwater!

On 5/31/2021 at 5:20 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

If another spotter or the TO tells me they saw an edge hit when I'm spotting I'm happy to change my call. 

Why are you changing your call? If you're certain you saw it that way, stand by your call. If the others saw differently, your call will be overruled. If you aren't certain, it should have been called a hit without polling the other spotters.

21 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Why are you changing your call? If you're certain you saw it that way, stand by your call. If the others saw differently, your call will be overruled. If you aren't certain, it should have been called a hit without polling the other spotters.

Extraordinarily common situation...and yes, spotters should change their call if shown evidence of an "Edger".

This usually happens when one spotter sees an "Edger" and the other two do not. The spotter should show the others what he/she saw. Then all three can decide the final count and relay it to the T.O. Sometimes the T.O. (because of their position relative to the shooter), will ask the spotter to tell the other's what he/she saw...again, final call goes the the spotters.

If you are the odd spotter out...and you definitely saw something, to not bring it to the attention of the other spotters is...what's a good words that won't piss too many folks off...skirting one's responsibility.

Phantom

Well, Alchemist Belle:

Bless Your Heart right back!

(I’ll leave the translation to Texan to you.)

Cat Brules

OH, by the way:

The TO isnt a Spotter.

Cat Brules

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Extraordinarily common situation...and yes, spotters should change their call if shown evidence of an "Edger".

This usually happens when one spotter sees an "Edger" and the other two do not. The spotter should show the others what he/she saw. Then all three can decide the final count and relay it to the T.O. Sometimes the T.O. (because of their position relative to the shooter), will ask the spotter to tell the other's what he/she saw...again, final call goes the the spotters.

If you are the odd spotter out...and you definitely saw something, to not bring it to the attention of the other spotters is...what's a good words that won't piss too many folks off...skirting one's responsibility.

Phantom

As a spotter, I try to do a quick scan of targets to note previous edge hits for just this scenario. Doesn’t always work, but I try. 

12 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

OH, by the way:

The TO isnt a Spotter.

Cat Brules

You won't respond because you know you'll be called out.

Please show where anyone said that the T.O. is a Spotter... Looking forward to your response.

Phantom

1 minute ago, Alchemist Belle 93666 said:

You're from Texas? I've only ever met true gentlemen from that great state! 

Too funny...he's not from Texas...I don't think. Never saw him shoot there...but then again, I don't know if anyone has seen him shoot anywhere in the last decade so...

Phantom

41 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

I smell content for an upcoming  video...

The TO does not have the authority to overrule the spotters regarding misses but can question spotters as to the location of misses. (The TO is often in the best position to see the direction of the muzzle, which is helpful in determining edge hits.

RO1 p.25

Many instructional films and videos have featured a character (named or not) doing the WRONG thing.

I've seen this in safety films (e.g. wood shop, driver's ed, firearms training, etc.), as well as industrial materials handling and farm safety.

Depictions (sometimes graphic) of the consequences for failure to follow standard and common sense procedures have been a widely accepted method of instruction.

Archived