SASS Wire Forum

Barrel Cold Brown

I bought a .32 caliber rifle kit.  Track of the Wolf brags on this stuff.  Anyone else used this?  Tips?

I was thinking of browning the percussion lock as well.  Helpful thoughts?

The beaver sight I would leave shiney.  This might be too gaudy even for me.

Keeping my eye on the prize,

Shameless Womanizer

6DC86FE4-0E2A-4CFF-A92F-C02550C408A9.jpeg

7D7A1DAF-964C-4781-96AB-D15E36B9A6F8.png

I have no experience with any of that stuff.  I just admire your courage in tackling the project and I can’t wait to see pictures when you are finished!

:)

4-8 coats in 3 hour intervals?

I don’t have experience with this product, but as a 12 year old pup I hot browned a CVA mountain rifle barrel in an evening. 40+ years and maaaany round balls later, it still looks near brand new.   

Birchwood Casey Plum Brown was the product. 
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/plum-brown-barrel-finish-5-fl-oz-bottle.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqcKFBhAhEiwAfEr7zTdDOn8FhLmkgQdAfGW8CpsxBovVQHUpc1gNDNcWwOFMTLHV12aAShoCEAAQAvD_BwE

Thanks, holding back when I should is more of a problem for me.

Google Carver Banjos.  I have built 3 of his antebellum kits.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

4-8 coats in 3 hour intervals?

I don’t have experience with this product, but as a 12 year old pup I hot browned a CVA mountain rifle barrel in an evening. 40+ years and maaaany round balls later, it still looks near brand new.   

Birchwood Casey Plum Brown was the product. 
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/plum-brown-barrel-finish-5-fl-oz-bottle.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqcKFBhAhEiwAfEr7zTdDOn8FhLmkgQdAfGW8CpsxBovVQHUpc1gNDNcWwOFMTLHV12aAShoCEAAQAvD_BwE

Yeah, finding this stuff in stock is the rub.  

I have not taken the barrel out of the cellophane yet so it’s pristine. I like my sources trying to stock both these products and the reviews is another consideration. The added degreaser makes one product to buy, not two.

SHOULD I BROWN THE LOCK and the RAMROD FERRULES?  I’ve seen this on YOUTube, but not the finished product.

There are various chemical agents that you can use to topically change the color of steel. It looks like whoever selling that browning agent is getting 15 bucks for about an ounce and a half of it.

Why don’t you Google “how do you change the color of steel“ (or something like that).  As long as you are actually building a rifle kit, you might as well find someway to brown the steel barrel, other than using the commercial product.

It is your call, of course.

Cat Brules

Heating and browning a barrel is relatively easy. Dixie Gun Works used to have a tutorial.

It's shiny rust like the steel pipe on an elementary school playground. Hang it in a high humidity area when it gets surface rust smooth it down with 0000 steel wool and repeat until you have a smooth even layer of iron oxide to protect the metal underneath. Keep the bore oiled and or plugged.. Polish and oil when it gets where you want it.

As for the brass beaver once you start shooting the black powder residues will do their thing and it'll turn all kinda aged.

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

It's shiny rust like the steel pipe on an elementary school playground. Hang it in a high humidity area when it gets surface rust smooth it down with 0000 steel wool and repeat until you have a smooth even layer of iron oxide to protect the metal underneath. Keep the bore oiled and or plugged.. Polish and oil when it gets where you want it.

As for the brass beaver once you start shooting the black powder residues will do their thing and it'll turn all kinda aged.

Ha!  I like this turtle more better.

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

image.jpeg.0ebf631c5a7c20cf26bde886942f3672.jpeg

I wish I could teach myself how to checker this squirrel rifle.

I could do an ancient form of checkering by wood burning.

Archived