SASS Wire Forum

NM Vaquero spring options

Johnny Knight

I have a pair of NM Vaqueros headed my way that I plan on changing the hammers on.  I've got a pair of the Ruger Super Blackhawk hammers from Midway.  When ordered they had the following note:

Hammer only. Requires the following items to complete the hammer assembly:

Hammer Plunger - 266558

Hammer Plunger Spring - 515784

Hammer Plunger Cross Pin - 583700

My first question is whether I can use my current plunger, plunger spring and cross pin, or whether they are different on the NM Vaquero? 

Second question, even if I can use them, should I use them or are there better choices? 

I've seen a number of folks recommending the Wolff spring kits.  Midway lists a 17 lb and 19 lb version (both out of stock atm), how does that compare to other options? 

Are there other springs that I should be looking at as well?

I know the usual answer is to just put a bunch of rounds through the gun before modifying it at all, but I've got both a Super  Blackhawk 44 mag and a Blackhawk 45 Colt and prefer the hammer on the Super Blackhawk.

Asking the questions now, since the plan is to hit up End of Trail where I presume a number of vendors will have parts.  Fyi, this is my first End of Trail and I've only made one match so far, just trying to do my homework in advance so I know what to ask when I get the chance.  Thanks for any input.

Johnny

I've attended several EOTs.  You might cross paths with a few well-known gunsmiths but not many vendors selling gun parts.  Some will do action jobs on your guns at the match and engravers will make them pretty.  You can also get your grips checkered.  Vendors mostly sell leather, guns and clothes.  

Leather is the main thing I am looking for.  Putting together a new cross draw rig, something that will work for mounted shooting, as well as regular matches.  Still going back and forth on whether to go for classic cowboy vs drop rig.....decisions, decisions

Not driving up from Texas, just using some air miles saved up from limited travel last year to fly into Indianapolis, then it's only about 120 miles from there.  That's just a morning commute down here :rolleyes:.  Figure that if I spend a few days up there, I can save a whole bunch of postings on the forum here picking folks' brains on what they like and what they don't about their rigs.  Much easier, and more informative than asking for pictures.  I'm not planning on bringing the long guns, just the pistols hoping that I can try out some different options to see what feels the best.  I'm new to CAS, but have been doing historical reenactment for decades, so I've found it's usually worthwhile to hit the big events, because you pick up on things you didn't even know to ask about.  I'm planning on making it out to my second monthly match next weekend with the folks out at Thunder River Renegades (First monthly match was last weekend with the folks out at THSS who were very helpful and I plan on making it out there again soon).

So far, I've been trying to get a feel for things from looking back through the forums, but that is a hit  and miss approach, since it's fairly random on what topics pop up.  Besides, everyone has been so friendly, it's just a chance to meet a few more folks.

The hammer plunger spring and related parts are not the same as the 17# and 19 # springs you refer to in your post. The plunger spring is a very small part that fits into the hammer. Th 17# and 19# springs you refer to are mainsprings that are actually contained in the grip frame and drive the hammer forward to set off the primer.

kR

Thanks Kid,

I was aware that they are two different spring sets, one for the hammer plunger, one for the trigger.  I guess I should have been more clear that I was asking multiple questions.

1st, do you have to change the hammer plunger spring and plunger when swapping to the SBH hammer, or can you use the ones from the stock Vaquero hammer?

2nd, the relative advantages of changing out the trigger spring group?  (I know that is often personal preference, just soliciting feedback from those who swapped out and what they went to)

3rd, differences between the Wolff Springs vs the Wilson Combat springs? (I've seen a number of folks referencing having changed out to the Wolff Springs, but they appear to be out of stock atm.  So, trying to determine whether to hold out for a set of the Wolff springs vs picking up the Wilson combat springs which are available now).

I know a lot of this is all personal preference, just trying to avoid trial and error on my part when I know there is a ton of experience represented on this list.

I'm going out on a limb here , but I do think the plunger and springs for Ruger hammers are all the same. 

That said , I have changed out about a dozen sets of hammers over the years , but always got the complete hammer kit when I bought them.

Good luck,

Rex :D

Order two or three sets of springs from long hunter shooter supply n Amarillo. Be sure and stick a fork through the hole so the spring does go under your freezer. I would leave the Hammer’s alone till after EOT.  Ask me how I know where springs go! Irish ☘️ Pat

I picked up the Wolff kit with with 3 different hammer springs when I went through my new model Vaqueros (Sass set). It came with a 14, 15 and 16 pound hammer strut springs, stock on a NM Vaquero is 17#. I also got both their 30 and 40 ounce trigger spring. After deburring and polishing the internals my smith and I tried all combinations of springs using reloads with CCI primers for testing. I settled with the 14 pound hammer springs and 40 ounce trigger spring. The 14 pound spring pops CCI's every time even though I use Federal in my hand loads. To me the 30 ounce spring gave me a soft feeling reset so I went with the 40 ounce trigger spring. I've been very happy with the results since. Correct polishing is as, if not more, important than just swapping springs.

Archived