SASS Wire Forum

45 lc load for long range

Newlee SASS#5469

I have a Marlin cowboy, with an octagon barrel that I want to use for long range and some hunting. I’m looking for a load that I can use for both. The bullet will be lead, but what weight, 230, 250? I’m shooting titegroup for powder. For hunting I would like to try a hog. I would probably switch to the same weight in a jacketed round so that my sights would not change.. So that’s what I’m looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Respectfully

Newlee

First tidbit.  A Jacketed bullet will NOT print to the same point of impact as a lead bullet.  You'll have to sight/adjust for each bullet separately.  If all you want to do is shoot out there a ways and perhaps take hog, using TightGroup, simply go to the Hodgen load tables and approach the Max Load data.  No two rifles print the same for a given load.  You're going to have to play around.  Best bet will be 230 - 250Gr Jacket Flat Point for Hog and 230 - 250Gg RNFP.

Your "other" choice is a full case of 3f with either bullet weight.  Have Fun

Get very good accuracy at 100 yards with my load that is about 6.5 grains of Winchester Super Target (WST) and a 230 grain flat nose truncated cone cast slug.  About 2" groups consistently.

If hog hunting, I'd step up to a heavy load of Unique and a 250 grain jacketed bullet.  Why mess with cast when there are great jacketed bullets for hunting something that could be dangerous?

It really does not take long to reset your factory open sights for another load, and all you will likely need is a step lower on the rear sight..

good luck, GJ

Unique makes a nice loading. I'd recommend a soft point and not a hollow point, driven hard. A hollow point on hogs can be bad news if it doesn't penetrate. Holes on both sides is the goal with the one on the off side being rather large.

My hunting load is 8.2 gr Unique and 250 gr RNFP.  It shoots as accurate as I can see with the sights, though the trajectory really drops off after about 75 yards.

Your Marlin will handle +P loads though, so I'd check the manuals for an even stouter load.

PC140007.JPG

PC140008.JPG

PC140009.JPG

A .45 caliber bullet that does not expand is closer to a perfect .30 cal bullet that does expand, and the .45 Colt at long distances will likely be to slow to expand reliably.  A blunt nose TC or SWC would be as good as it could reliably be in this non-magnum pistol cartridge.  Ben Pierce of Handloader magazine said that 2400 was his choice for getting the .38 WCF, .44 WCF and .45 Colt to perform in rifles.

Simply butchering  the name of the 45 COLT by adding the word "long" doesn't make it a long range proposition.  You don't provide enough information in your question to provide an intelligent answer.

1st:  What cotton pickin' range are you considering long?  'Cause frankly, if you're thinkin' in the neighborhood of anything over 150 yards for hunting, you're probably going to be disappointed.  Unless you put a suitcase handle on the top.  Yes, you can shoot the dang thing out to 200 yards & more, what you understand about "zero effective range" will be more and more important for hunting.

2nd:  You've been given good advice above.  It's up to you to add some uncommon good sense in how you use it.

Thanks to all who responded. Some really great information. I especially liked the article on 45 long colts lever guns. The suggestion of soft points as opposed to hollow points was very helpful. Yes I realize that I wasn’t very specific about what’s long range. Several years ago, (20) I was able to ring a buffalo silhouette at 400 yards with iron sights and a 357. Today a 3 inch circle at 100 yards is long range with iron sights. Still don’t believe in scopes although I do own a couple now. I believe I will be starting with a 250 gr lead bullet and not worry about switching to jacketed. I also have some 2400 from another round I used to make so I’ll look at that and other powders.  Thanks again for all the great info.

Respectfully

Newlee

On 5/28/2021 at 7:28 PM, Yusta B. said:

A good read from Paco Kelly on .45 Colt lever guns. 

https://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

300 grain hard cast lead and a stout load of H110 will amaze any and all scoffers when they see the results of the 45 LC on game, even at longer distances.  I know, I have seen the light...

Archived