SASS Wire Forum

I was careless, I was lazy, I paid the price!

Somehow I imagine the Bolshoi Men's Choir singing in rousing harmony, 
"Dummmbbbbb,

"Duuummmbbbbb!"

Yep, that's me.

I faithfully changed the batteries in the smoke detectors.

Did not give anything else a second thought.

I finally thought of it and discovered the Duracells in my three D cell Mag Lite are all three leaked, corroded, welded in place.

Grr.

My weather radio has a fine bloom of alkaline corrosion in its battery compartment: fortunately Midland made the contacts out of stainless, it cleaned up with no problem, it's fixed.

Have a hand held CB talkie my father in law gave me, a nice GE they quit making in '94, and yep, you guessed it ... Duracell corrosion in that one too!

** Please understand I do not blame Duracell.  Any battery, neglected long enough, WILL leak, the fault is MINE for not changing them! **

Went through and changed all the batteries in all the flashlights, today I'll do the same for those battery powered LED warning goodies that are supposed to replace highway flares and never will ... 

Amigos pistoleros, do not imitate my bad example, please be a wiser man than I, and learn from my mistake instead of making it yourself!

I ruined a great little bore light recently because I left batteries in too long. That prompted me to do what you did and go make sure other things weren’t harmed. Luckily I didn’t find anything else that had issues. 

Duracells lately have a little note on their packaging that they are leak free. Not sure if that is true, but all the other devices I checked had Duracell’s with no leakage. The bore light had Duracell’s and I am pretty sure they were 4 years old. Ouch!

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Duracells lately have a little note on their packaging that they are leak free.

They still leak. Had some still new in the package and not expired which leaked all over that "note."

Cleaned off the ones that did not leak and used them for a project which required using a flashlight for hours on end; got about 6 hours out of each set so some of them were still good. But was not going to put any from that package in something like a remote control.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I ruined a great little bore light recently because I left batteries in too long. That prompted me to do what you did and go make sure other things weren’t harmed. Luckily I didn’t find anything else that had issues. 

Duracells lately have a little note on their packaging that they are leak free. Not sure if that is true, but all the other devices I checked had Duracell’s with no leakage. The bore light had Duracell’s and I am pretty sure they were 4 years old. Ouch!

Leak Free is like Waterproof Boots. :P

I ruined a couple good flashlights by not paying attention to the changing of batteries, it looks like I'm in good company!!:P

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I thought the leaking was to inform you that it is time to change the batteries.  How else could you tell they need replacing?

When you turn the light on and aim it at a wall six feet away and the light ends up shining on the floor.  That's a good indicator that your batteries are getting weak.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When you turn the light on and aim it at a wall six feet away and the light ends up shining on the floor.  That's a good indicator that your batteries are getting weak.

If I really posted either of two responses I have, a bunch of members would laugh like hell before my reply got taken down :lol:

I did something even more stoopid, and gun-related to boot. I was cleaning my 1851 Navy and tried to stick the wedge back in without taking the time to remove the screw first (hey, I got it out without removing it). I slipped and put a nice scratch right across the barrel. When I was a kid my dad gave me a lecture about the price of being impatient, but I guess I never listened.

Howdy,

I once contacted the Duracell folks about leak damaged ear covers.

They did pay some but not all for replacements.

So give it a try they have 800 number on most.

Good luck.

Best

CR

14 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

.... When I was a kid my dad gave me a lecture about the price of being impatient, but I guess I never listened.

Oh goodness, my hand is a-wavin' in the air!

Dear old Dad tried to teach me at a tender age that "Hurry up is brother to mess it up!"

It is plumb AMAZIN' how often I proved him right!!

Bummer... been there, done that.
I have a new years resolution to change batteries in everything.
Especially expensive stuff like cameras and photo equipment.
Yesterday, the thermostat quit... my date on the Duracells was 2 years.. no corrosion, but I missed 'em last year.

23 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I ruined a couple good flashlights by not paying attention to the changing of batteries, it looks like I'm in good company!!:P

one reason I now buy cheap flashlights--man has to know his limitations

Linn, I got my stand light emptied this afternoon. Will have to cross my fingers on the other two for a while as my equipment bag is  MIA at the moment. It's in the back room buried under a LOT of stuff. That room is slated for clean-out this summer sometime. Hopefully they'll keep 'till then.:rolleyes::blink::blush:

Archived