SASS Wire Forum

Iron Butt training

4 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Worst long road bike was a 57 sportster that I restored. Bike would beat you to death after about 60 miles.

Ooh yeah...
1957 XL, bought as a basket case in 1968.
The kick start ratchet would slip every now and again, and tear up the inside of the thigh on the rear shock.

6 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Ooh yeah...
1957 XL, bought as a basket case in 1968.
The kick start ratchet would slip every now and again, and tear up the inside of the thigh on the rear shock.

Ouch!

My first Harley was a 1959 Duo Glide that I put together out of a basket.  If you forgot to retard the spark while kicking it, it would toss you right over the handlebars.

Oh yeah... I remember how the old time bikers would nail the unsuspecting kid with the spark advance.
I loved the look of those pan heads.
A neighbor on my paper route had one always parked on his front porch.
I didn't know the year, but it was a pan head and this was around 1963 when I delivered papers.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

You could always try a convertible sports car or a Jeep - I find I get most of the enjoyment that I have on a motorcycle when I put the top down on the Jeep.  Been considering get something like a Mazda Miata convertible when I decide to get rid of the bike.

We have a '01 Mazda Miata, and we both love it.  I have threatened to upgrade to a 'vette or a Porsche Boxster if I decide to let the HD go.  

Last June took a lap around the US.  My brother had left his bike in Southern California with the idea of riding it out to his new home in South Carolina.  So, headed out of Pearland, TX, first day ended in Las Cruces, NM, which tallied around 820 miles.  After that mostly kept it closer to 500, then once I got together with my brother and another friend joining us, we knocked it down to about 350 a day, since we were planning on scenic stops along the way.  Total trip was about 7700 miles over 20 days.  The suggestion I would offer is that you should notice after about the 3rd day that you just settle into the bike.  First day or two are a little rougher if you aren't used to the longer distances, but you're likely to notice that the subsequent days just get easier as you find the rhythm.  This was at Beartooth Pass, WY, it opened the weekend before we were scheduled to ride through.  A week before when going through Phoenix it had been 115 degrees....

Looks like most folks enjoy their Harleys, but with a 9 gallon tank on the BMW R1200GSA, you tend to run out of ass before you run out of gas, so plan your breaks accordingly.

Keep the shiny side up

moto trip june 20 beartooth pass.jpg

49 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Looks like most folks enjoy their Harleys, but with a 9 gallon tank on the BMW R1200GSA, you tend to run out of ass before you run out of gas, so plan your breaks accordingly.

2014 GSA "only" has a 7.9 gallon tank.

This pic taken last year along the Amalfi Coast (Italy) before the world went totally stupid.

image.thumb.png.b64e98096fc5c87437de49ea904128e9.png

When we finished the rebuild on my old Shovelhead, I put a six speed transmission in it and single fire electronic ignition. With an update and tuning to the old carburetor, it gets around 44 mpg. The tanks hold 5 1/2 gallons of gas.  That’s roughly 240 miles.  If you average 70 mph, which is hard to do except on interstate highways, that’s more than three hours.  I generally avoid the interstates because I like to  take in the landmarks and points of interest unless I have to cover long distance at need. That puts me closer to four hours between gas stops.  

I’ll generally want to stop and grab a cold drink and a bite of something before that, even if I don’t get off the seat.  Ten minutes on the side of the road in the shade and then another couple hours in the wind. Two gas stops and a good meal and I’m liable to make 7 or 8 hundred miles at a leisurely pace before bedtime on a straight jam!  

At need, I’ve done a thousand in 19 hours. No stops except for gas and snacks and eating and drinking those on the road. Crackers in a shirt pocket and a canned cold drink in a vest pocket and dump the trash when I fill up next. (Friend in need and no other transportation) I wouldn’t try it now.  The world has changed a lot in a few short years and I’m not in top shape after the last couple of years.

49 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

When we finished the rebuild on my old Shovelhead, I put a six speed transmission in it and single fire electronic ignition. With an update and tuning to the old carburetor, it gets around 44 mpg. The tanks hold 5 1/2 gallons of gas.  That’s roughly 240 miles.  If you average 70 mph, which is hard to do except on interstate highways, that’s more than three hours.  I generally avoid the interstates because I like to  take in the landmarks and points of interest unless I have to cover long distance at need. That puts me closer to four hours between gas stops.  

I’ll generally want to stop and grab a cold drink and a bite of something before that, even if I don’t get off the seat.  Ten minutes on the side of the road in the shade and then another couple hours in the wind. Two gas stops and a good meal and I’m liable to make 7 or 8 hundred miles at a leisurely pace before bedtime on a straight jam!  

At need, I’ve done a thousand in 19 hours. No stops except for gas and snacks and eating and drinking those on the road. Crackers in a shirt pocket and a canned cold drink in a vest pocket and dump the trash when I fill up next. (Friend in need and no other transportation) I wouldn’t try it now.  The world has changed a lot in a few short years and I’m not in top shape after the last couple of years.

Nothing like a old shovel, bought mine just out of high school, rode the crap out of it, motor went south, resurrected it about 5 years ago, upgraded  to a evo ultra this year, all the old man stuff is kinda nice. 

Makes the miles go by a lot faster.

20210524_212910.jpg

20210510_070550.jpg

3 minutes ago, JP McLintock said:

Nothing like a old shovel, bought mine just out of high school, rode the crap out of it, motor went south, resurrected it about 5 years ago, upgraded  to a evo ultra this year, all the old man stuff is kinda nice. 

Makes the miles go by a lot faster.

20210524_212910.jpg

20210510_070550.jpg

This old beast was rebuilt the last time in 1999. The friend who did the engine was one of the most respected Harley wrenches in the country. It’s only 90 cubic inches, but is solid and performs extremely well. It has NEVER leaked a drop of any fluid since the rebuild.  For several years after it was completed, I ran the old Sturgis two belt drive and only ever broke the rear belt, acting a fool. I went to the Evo primary setup when I did a clutch change and went back to a wet clutch.

I probably won’t ever get another motorcycle. Too many special things and special memories attached to this old putt.

It’ll STILL start on two turns of the crank if you flip the enrichment valve and pump it a couple of times.

NOTHING sounds like a Shovelhead!!

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

This old beast was rebuilt the last time in 1999. The friend who did the engine was one of the most respected Harley wrenches in the country. It’s only 90 cubic inches, but is solid and performs extremely well. It has NEVER leaked a drop of any fluid since the rebuild.  For several years after it was completed, I ran the old Sturgis two belt drive and only ever broke the rear belt, acting a fool. I went to the Evo primary setup when I did a clutch change and went back to a wet clutch.

I probably won’t ever get another motorcycle. Too many special things and special memories attached to this old putt.

It’ll STILL start on two turns of the crank if you flip the enrichment valve and pump it a couple of times.

NOTHING sounds like a Shovelhead!!

Absolutely,  my boy wants the orange one someday, its pretty stock now, 74 inch with 80 over pistons, runs good, starts good,  usuallt a couple kicks and off we go,  cant beat a old shovel!

Archived