SASS Wire Forum

Weird play in baseball

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/pirates-will-craig-makes-one-of-the-weirdest-plays-vs-cubs.html

This is one you have to watch! Unbelievable!!! Scroll down a bit to see it!

13 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Step.  On.  The.  Bag.

Right??? I think the throw took him off the bag and then he got excited when he saw the runner going home! He was pretty confused or not paying attention at all!! :blink:

I'm not into baseball (or any other sport for that matter) but I couldn't stop watching this.  Craig has reflexes like an alley cat and it appears that none of the Pirate players was was able to do anything right.  They just weren't in their game.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm not into baseball (or any other sport for that matter) but I couldn't stop watching this.  Craig has reflexes like an alley cat and it appears that none of the Pirate players was was able to do anything right.  They just weren't in their game.

Sadly that is their game 

My son, Hatfield, played ball all the way through high school and coached and umpired into his thirties!

He, jokingly, said the guy orta’ “go home and take a bath with the toaster!”  :lol:

This play is so automatic it should have been made in his sleep! TWO OUTS!! PLAY’S AT FIRST!! If they’d tagged the runner, even AFTER the guy coming from third crossed the plate, the run doesn’t score!!

The first baseman had plenty of time to go step on the base. I’ve never seen anyone stop in the way to first and go back home! It must have freaked him out!!:lol:

Let's start with a basic assumption that the Pirates 1B was not valedictorian of his HS class. It gets simpler from there.

All I see is ads

Okay it finally came up. Showed it to the wife. She said, “l saw it on Sports Center”.
Huh??

21 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

How about an inside the park grand slam on a softball field (straight away center is 200-220)?

https://fanbuzz.com/college-softball/raeleen-gutierrez-inside-the-park-grand-slam/

I  went looking for a version of it that would play better on my phone and found another, but off of an error 

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/15982822

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I  went looking for a version of it that would play better on my phone and found another, but off of an error 

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/15982822

That's a different play by their baseball team.

The one I linked to was done by softball team. 

She hit a deep fly to center that was over the center fielder's head (Miss Raeleen only has 3 HR's this season, so I can see them playing in a bit or at least not playing back).  The center fielder dived for it, missed, and hurt herself so she couldn't play it when it bounced off the wall.  By the time the left fielder got to the ball (it was on the warning track and she wasn't really late getting there), Gutierrez was already around second- and had a full head of steam to go with one heck of a set of wheels.

Not too bad for a first baseman, huh?

LSU softball's center fielder also had an inside the park home run earlier in the year, too, but she's known for her speed and range in the outfield.

1 minute ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That's a different play by their baseball team.

The one I linked to was done by softball team. 

She hit a deep fly to center that was over the center fielder's head (Miss Raeleen only has 3 HR's this season, so I can see them playing in a bit or at least not playing back).  The center fielder dived for it, missed, and hurt herself so she couldn't play it when it bounced off the wall.  By the time the left fielder got to the ball (it was on the warning track and she wasn't really late getting there), Gutierrez was already around second- and had a full head of steam to go with one heck of a set of wheels.

Not too bad for a first baseman, huh?

LSU softball's center fielder also had an inside the park home run earlier in the year, too, but she's known for her speed and range in the outfield.

I  should have said "This other one. "

Interesting that LSU had it happen twice. 

Archived