SASS Wire Forum

Starlink

Subdeacon Joe

I work 20 miles from the cape and watched this go off earlier today, or yesterday, whichever day it was. Can even hear the rumble about 4 minutes after it goes off.

2 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

I work 20 miles from the cape and watched this go off earlier today, or yesterday, whichever day it was. Can even hear the rumble about 4 minutes after it goes off.

That must be impressive.  Every now and then growing up in N San Diego County, we could watch a launch from Vandenberg.  Heck, the first Falcon 9 heavy from there I was able to watch from here in Sonoma County. 

After the previous Starlink launch and deployment, about two days after people freaking out about the chain of satellites they saw, I went out in the evening to see if I could spot it.  It wasn't the trail of 60.  I saw one set, about 6 of them, right were they were supposed to be (used the compass app on my phone for azimuth and elevation), then I noticed a phalanx of them marching across the night sky.  Rather impressive.  Unfortunately I don't have a camera, only the one on my cell phone and is not good at all for celestial images.  

From my place of work it's far enough away that we don't even see the rocket, just the flames. However I could see the shuttle (kind of) just because it was so wide comparatively, plus that giant orange fuel tank.

I was outside in Maryland one night having a cigar and noticed the train of satellites going by, I think it was one of the first launches for starlink. Didn't know what the hell it was had to call a buddy of mine that's much more into that stuff than even I am to find out that I was in fact not looking at an alien invasion.

2 hours ago, John Ruth said:

Planning a visit to Winter Springs in the fall and would like to see a launch.  Where should I go for best viewing, if there happens to be one while I’m there?

Oh there are tons. Best places would be ocean side from satellite Beach north to cocoa, or in Titusville on US1 which is right next to the river staring straight across to the launch complex that's 5ish miles away. Just look for all the parked cars on the side of the road. 

You could also pay to go to the viewing center at the cape, don't know what they cost though...

Archived