SASS Wire Forum

What movie was so bad that you walked out of the theater, or changed the channel?

The adventures of Pluto Nash

Since I was a little kid I've really enjoyed Arthurian legend, and I've read every book and seen every film or TV series I could find.

So, when I heard that King Arthur: Legend Of the Sword was just released back in 2017, I couldn't wait to see it.

Without a doubt it was the worst movie ever.  The only reason I did NOT just walk out was because I didn't want to wake up Helen Brimstone, snoozing in the seat next to me.  Ms Brimstone later said "if when my time comes I'm having trouble dying, show me that movie."

Such a perfect subject for a movie... and they totally *bleeped* it up.  :(

I knew from the opening scene... just wotinell do giant elephants have to do with the Knights Of the Round Table?!  :huh:

Anything with Will Ferrel in it!!  The least entertaining, most UN-funny individual I think I have ever seen!!

Never walked out a theatre but changed channels on plenty of movies!

The Luke Hemsworth version of Hickok. It was so phony that I turned it off after just ten minutes. Also when I was young my friend made me go to the theater to see a movie called A Rage in Harlem (Robin Givens). Being forced to watch that one from beginning to end was complete torture.

I didn't walk out of the movie,  but the one that "irrigated/irritated" me to the n-th degree was The Right Stuff!  The scene where Gus Grissom is crying to his wife, "I didn't blow the hatch! I didn't blow the hatch!", portrayed him in exactly the WRONG way!  You see, I not only met Grissom before his flight, but attended the press conference afterward!  Before the conference started, I was with Jay Barbree, NBC News radio correspondent, and we talked with the MacDonnell engineers.  The hatch was designed so the astronaut had to reach over his left shoulder and hit a plunger.  The plunger was not connected to the block containing two springloaded firing pins, but would simply push it so that the pins moved into position where they hit a pair of initiators...basically shotgun primers. The plunger was springloaded so it would snap back, on the same principle as the forward assist on an M-16.  When the plunger sprung back, the astronaut would skin his knuckles!  Every astronaut that hit the plunger in training experienced the skinned knuckles.  Grissom had NO such injury!  The firing pin block was held in place by a safing pin.  The written procedure was for the astronaut to pull the safing pin just as soon as the spacecraft hit the water, but not to hit the plunger until ready to blow the hatch.  Grissom, accordingly, pulled the pin when the spacecraft touched down.  The way the engineers and I (although a second-year college student on a summer job with the Navy's Polaris SLBM program, I had worked two summers for an outfit making ordnance-actuated devices for aerospace applications) figured it, the wave action on the capsule caused the block to walk down and when the firing pins reached position...BLAM!

If Grissom had been to blame for the premature blowing of the hatch, I guarranty you he would NOT have been aboard Gemini 8 (IIRC) nor would he have been assigned to the Apollo I, in which he, and the others died in the on-pad fire! 

I will NEVER watch that movie ever again! :angry: 

2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I didn't walk out of the movie,  but the one that "irrigated/irritated" me to the n-th degree was The Right Stuff!  The scene where Gus Grissom is crying to his wife, "I didn't blow the hatch! I didn't blow the hatch!", portrayed him in exactly the WRONG way!  You see, I not only met Grissom before his flight, but attended the press conference afterward!  Before the conference started, I was with Jay Barbree, NBC News radio correspondent, and we talked with the MacDonnell engineers.  The hatch was designed so the astronaut had to reach over his left shoulder and hit a plunger.  The plunger was not connected to the block containing two springloaded firing pins, but would simply push it so that the pins moved into position where they hit a pair of initiators...basically shotgun primers. The plunger was springloaded so it would snap back, on the same principle as the forward assist on an M-16.  When the plunger sprung back, the astronaut would skin his knuckles!  Every astronaut that hit the plunger in training experienced the skinned knuckles.  Grissom had NO such injury!  The firing pin block was held in place by a safing pin.  The written procedure was for the astronaut to pull the safing pin just as soon as the spacecraft hit the water, but not to hit the plunger until ready to blow the hatch.  Grissom, accordingly, pulled the pin when the spacecraft touched down.  The way the engineers and I (although a second-year college student on a summer job with the Navy's Polaris SLBM program, I had worked two summers for an outfit making ordnance-actuated devices for aerospace applications) figured it, the wave action on the capsule caused the block to walk down and when the firing pins reached position...BLAM!

If Grissom had been to blame for the premature blowing of the hatch, I guarranty you he would NOT have been aboard Gemini 8 (IIRC) nor would he have been assigned to the Apollo I, in which he, and the others died in the on-pad fire! 

I will NEVER watch that movie ever again! :angry: 

Interesting story, thx for sharing.  Even without that bit of history, it was a bad movie.

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Interesting story, thx for sharing.  Even without that bit of history, it was a bad movie.

The ONLY good part was the scene where the two test pilots are having a drink in Pancho Barnes' Happy Bottom Riding Club.  They are discussing why Chuck Yeager wasn't chosen and didn't want to be "spam in the can" in the Mercury program.  The interior is pretty dark and gloomy.  From out of the gloom comes "Fred the bartender" saying, have a beer.  I about fell out of my seat laughing! :lol:  People around me must have though I was nuts!  You see "Fred" was actually Chuck Yeager in a cameo role.  I had met him when he briefed a bunch of us AFROTC cadets on the actual experience of ejecting from the NF-104 simulated in the movie.  All of us would have liked to have emulated Col. Yeager.  Unfortunately, I guess I didn't have, "the right stuff". :(

Just about any movie, tv show made in the last few years, at first the not so subtle SJW/PC crap was just annoying, now it has reached insufferable levels.

I didn't go to the movie "Cats," but I walked out of the "Cats" live theater production at intermission.   I can understand why the movie bombed.

"Once Upon a Time in the West."  Walked out of the movie theater.

Good movies that I almost walked out of because they were so intense.

"Schindler's List"  That one troubled me so that I almost had to walk out.  Especially at the scene where the Nazi officer's pistol malfunctioned as he attempted to shoot a Jewish man in the head.  It was only because of my wife that I was able to stay.

"Passion of the Christ"   I knew it was going to be rough, but I determined to watch it to the end.  When I came out of the theater and hit the cold air, I realized my jaws were still clinched.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Never walked out a theatre but changed channels on plenty of movies!

Ditto. I couldn't begin to name them.

The closest I have come to walking out of a theater was Highlander II: The Quickening. A huge fan of the original Highlander, I was appalled and outraged at the sequel. 

I've walked out of the theater several times over the years.

But they were all so bad I don't remember the names.....

I one I do remember was the very first one I walked out on  .... "The Lion in Winter"

Years later I tried it once more .....

I had heard so many people say it was a Masterpiece with Great performances by Katheryn Hepburn and Peter O'Toole

They were WRONG.... It Stinks!!!!

Walked out of a movie called DEFCON 4 back in 85. A friend wanted to see it so we went. Just awful. The manager of the theater gave our money back. 

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh my....The Sound Of Music!!! 

Such a classic!!!!

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Thor.

The Sound of Music.

image.gif.ed51dc8fbd4f1803e6bcd0c62c0889f2.gifI’m with J-Bar. The hills are alive with the sound of Blechhhhh

Never walked out of a movie but I walked out on Kiss. They were so wasted that you couldn't make out the songs.

With covid and binge watching my list of "resume watching" on Netflix is pages long.  These are the movies that I started watching and gave up on because they were awful or simply did not interest me.  I have gritted my teeth and wanted to walk out of several at the theatres but being a cheap skate I wait to the end hoping there will be at least one good scene.  99.9% of the time I am wrong.  The movie was rotten to the end.  The closest I have come was when I went to "The Last Movie."  Absolutely horrible.  Thought I was going to "The Last Picture Show."

Archived