SASS Wire Forum

WTB single stage press for depriming

Fretless

On 5/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, Hoss said:

Consider a Lee Turret press. Take the Rachet out and it’s a single stage. Use a Led universal de primer. Then you have a turret for if you ever need/want to load something else 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

Another vote for the lee app , love mine , plus they are very inexpensive 

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690933/deluxe-app-(automatic-processing-press)-reloading-press

If you want the speed of the APP and the utility of the turret, get a lee auto breechlock pro, it's a 4 stage semi progressive. Stage 1 is centered on the ram for all your heavy duty tasks, it'll take the four tube case feeder, bullet feeders, powder drops etc.  Only downside over the app in my opinion is that it can't take single shell holders, so you need a $20 shell plate per case head type and tasks like bullet sizing if you do that are going to require modifications/custom parts or another press anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, Fretless said:

I have not ruled it out.  I worry about it hurting my hands, but maybe the mechanical advantage is good enough to avoid that

I use the Harvey depriming tool and have done 400-500 in one sitting.  I wear nitril gloves when I'm operating the tool and they give me good grip (in addition to keeping my hands free of the lead dust present).  Some crimped primer pocket brass is tough to squeeze the old primer out.  Two hands and it's simple.  Using the second hand also keeps the expended primers from flying all over.  The Harvey deprimer will do 9mm to 30-06 and 300 Win Mag easily.  

Just to add my 2 cents, I've been using one of these for the last 2 years. Never really timed myself but I think I can do 200-300 an hour. Fast and simple, plus I think it helps build grip strength and stamina.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:35 PM, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Archived