SASS Wire Forum

WTB single stage press for depriming

Fretless

I'm thinking about stepping up my brass cleaning game by depriming first.  I don't want to use my progressive loader and get crud in that resizing die, not to mention whatever falls down into the rest of the moving parts.  Seems to me like an inexpensive single stage press is the way to go, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm going to assume that you are referring to pistol caliber cowboy rounds.  If that's the case, cleaning the primer pockets goes in the same category as trimming the case to length.  A waste of time and energy.  It certainly won't hurt anything as long as you don't get anything stuck in the primer flash hole.

28 minutes ago, Fretless said:

I'm thinking about stepping up my brass cleaning game by depriming first.  I don't want to use my progressive loader and get crud in that resizing die, not to mention whatever falls down into the rest of the moving parts.  Seems to me like an inexpensive single stage press is the way to go, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I have a Lyman single stage press I am selling for $100 + whatever the shipping is.

Lyman single stage press.jpg

+1 on the Lee APP for de-priming brass.  As soon as I get home from a match I run the the brass through it, then into a bucket until I have enough to run a batch through the wet tumbler.  Little gizmo is a real time saver, I can process 120 rounds of match ammo in a few minutes.  I ended up mounting it on an inexpensive, yet very sturdy Harbor Freight bench grinder stand and made a little chute out of PVC to drain the brass into a bucket. Tucks away nicely into an out of the way place in my garage.  I also added the 4 tube case feeder and collator, works pretty good.  There is a thread on here about the APP and it's many uses.  LEE APP on SASSWIRE

4C4F08A9-4ADE-42D4-B948-27EF95F51463.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Lucky Lawdog said:

Have you considered a hand deprimer? Slow, but takes up much less room on the work bench.

I have not ruled it out.  I worry about it hurting my hands, but maybe the mechanical advantage is good enough to avoid that

Nothing faster than the Lee APP. 

Consider a Lee Turret press. Take the Rachet out and it’s a single stage. Use a Led universal de primer. Then you have a turret for if you ever need/want to load something else 

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Consider a Lee Turret press. Take the Rachet out and it’s a single stage. Use a Led universal de primer. Then you have a turret for if you ever need/want to load something else 

Depending on cost, I am definitely keeping my options open.  Stitcher is getting a high wall rifle so I'll be loading small batches of 38-55 in the not so distant future.

6 minutes ago, Fretless said:

Depending on cost, I am definitely keeping my options open.  Stitcher is getting a high wall rifle so I'll be loading small batches of 38-55 in the not so distant future.

She is pretty excited about it too!  
I have a D750, D560, a Lee Classic Turret and a Rockchucker. If I could only have one it would be the Lee Classic Turret. Easy caliber changes. Inexpensive. I can knock out 50 or so rounds in 40 minutes or so.  They just work! If you order one, get a few of the black plastic rachet doohickeys. About .50¢ Each. If you have spares you will never need them. 

And for 38-55, 10 grns Unique with a 260 grn Bullet works really well! 

Super cheapie Lee press mounted to a piece of scrap aluminum held in a vice.  The die is a Lee universal depriming die.  When done I just unclamp it from the vice and throw it under the shelf.  The only thing you have to change for different calibers is the shell plate.

DSC_0001.jpeg

I have several ways and devices to deprime cases.  I have three within reach of my recliner as I type: a Lee "nutcracker" press,  a Frankford Arsenal, and an old made by blacksmith tool similar to this one sold by Shiloh (or at least was).

5a5a2896de984_Shilohdeprimmer.thumb.jpg.d4236c07993898819cb900a92e553941.jpg

I also have a Lee App press.

1890244468_LeeAPPpressbulletsizingOct2020.thumb.jpg.469f00b0e03f1ee6ba2db12ea40c7945.jpg

In addition, I have the small Lee C press.

I use them all depending on volume and case.  I have the APP press set up for depriming 44WCF and 38WCF.  We have a lot of these after a match.  I use the homemade deprimer when I have only larger cases a few to do.  I use the Frankford for smaller cases. I don't like the Frankford for a lot of reasons but it serves a purpose. 

Fretless, I wish I could show you my setup at the next shoot but Ill be out of town. I have an APP, I think Lee has a new one now the "ACP" with a universal decaping die.

Check em out on youtube. Around $100.00

1 hour ago, Texican Slim # 87963 said:

After seeing & reading all this, I wouldn't even consider anything but the Harvey tool.

Good ol' shooting buddy Lonesome Ryder has one.  He shoots black powder and decaps after each stage and dumps into a jug.

792583694_LonesomeRyderJuly2019.jpg.1cb5e29bcc3423e6282a95f5ca4d8325.jpg

I think I tried to buy one but couldn't find them in stock. 

The hand made one I have was the one he retired when he got the Harvey 

I have a "Top Shot" RP1000 reloading press with the "click and load" quick change die adapters that I'd be willing to part with for $50 and whatever it costs to ship it to you...

3 hours ago, Ranger Mike said:

I have a "Top Shot" RP1000 reloading press with the "click and load" quick change die adapters that I'd be willing to part with for $50 and whatever it costs to ship it to you...

Thanks for the offer.  I'll leave that one for somebody else

If you are going single stage press you might want to think about a case ejector.

They will speed you up 50 % as you only have to put the case in the shell holder as they auto-eject out.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/case-ejector-system  sells them or build your own.

I use one for de=priming BP brass prior to wet-pin tumbling.

I have an RCBS Reloader Special that I find I don't have a need for. I mounted it to a 4x6x1 piece of hardwood that you can either c clamp or screw down. Makes it portable. 

It's in very good condition. 

I'll post a pic when I get home.

20210529_160319.jpg

On 5/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I have an RCBS Reloader Special that I find I don't have a need for. I mounted it to a 4x6x1 piece of hardwood that you can either c clamp or screw down. Makes it portable. 

It's in very good condition. 

I'll post a pic when I get home.

20210529_160319.jpg

That's a nice press and a good setup with the board.  Perhaps somebody else will see it and want to take it off your hands.

Since my primary plan is for depriming, I'm going with a Lee APP plus their universal case feeder and collator, for around 150 shipped.  That said,  I guess I'm now going to start biding my time for a good deal on a turret press for loading batches of 38-55. 

Thanks to everybody who commented (or sent PMs) for all of the thoughts, advice, and offers.  You are appreciated.

I have EXACTLY what you're lookin for, it's a medium size Pacific "C" type press with & RCBS snap in shell holder ram & an RCBS deprimeing die with the new decapping pin that will work with Lapua brass. $125. shipped. sonny45@gmail.com. Let me know one way or another. I'll take PayPal or a USPS money order. If we do PayPal I'll put it in the mail Monday.

1 hour ago, Kid Death 6683 said:

I have EXACTLY what you're lookin for, it's a medium size Pacific "C" type press with & RCBS snap in shell holder ram & an RCBS deprimeing die with the new decapping pin that will work with Lapua brass. $125. shipped. sonny45@gmail.com. Let me know one way or another. I'll take PayPal or a USPS money order. If we do PayPal I'll put it in the mail Monday.

6 hours ago, Fretless said:

Since my primary plan is for depriming, I'm going with a Lee APP plus their universal case feeder and collator, for around 150 shipped.  That said,  I guess I'm now going to start biding my time for a good deal on a turret press for loading batches of 38-55. 

Thanks to everybody who commented (or sent PMs) for all of the thoughts, advice, and offers.  You are appreciated.

Thank you anyway Kid Death.  Hopefully somebody else will see your comment and take you uip on that deal.

Archived