SASS Wire Forum

Grips Thread!

Solomon Kane 18264

Been waiting 3 month now for mine from Altamont. Last heard I can't get walnut and they changed my order to rosewood for my Wranglers.

Elk antler grips by Patrick Grashorn.

9244A735-FF10-4BAE-A12B-5A754ABA5608.jpeg

B6FD497F-3392-4234-B8A5-250E965B928A.jpeg

Big Horn Sheep. They work very well, especially in wet or sweaty conditions. They get “tacky” instead of slippery. When I bought them I asked the guy if they were durable. He asked if I’d ever seen what sheep do with them????

A252B79C-C29F-497C-84B1-DAF80836D54F.jpeg

My favorite is ivory.  Just love how it offers a smooth yet still positive grip.  Unfortunately all my ivory was on S&W double action revolvers and got sold off to fund SASS guns.  While I love fancy grips I honestly find the black plastic checkered grips that come on Colt and Ruger revolvers to be the best performers (for me).

18 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

What's sursum satis mean?  Up and enough? 

No one has ever been able to give me a translation.

Perhaps “sursum satis” means “high enough” In English, but I don’t know for sure.  That’s the only translation that makes sense to me.  However, depending on the context, I guess it could have a couple meanings.

Cat Brules

I have more grips than guns. Always looking for the perfect feel and look. Think finally have come up with that. Ordered blocks from Henry at Texas Grips and am making extended grips for my shooters. First set I made while not perfect are darn good and fit and feel in my hand what I am looking for. 

1 hour ago, MBFields said:

I have more grips than guns. Always looking for the perfect feel and look. Think finally have come up with that. Ordered blocks from Henry at Texas Grips and am making extended grips for my shooters. First set I made while not perfect are darn good and fit and feel in my hand what I am looking for. 

Same here.  Especially 1911 grips.  I keep seeing awesome 1911 grips, buy them, then don't have a 1911 to put them on.  So I look for another 1911 to buy.  Problem is, most of them already have nice grips.  It's nigh on impossible to find an otherwise decent 1911 with crappy grips.  I may not technically have more grips than guns but I do have more unused 1911 grips than 1911s. 

Patrick Grashorn on the 1911, and Lone Star Custom Grips in Texas for the birdshead Rugers... Zane? I don't recall the last name.

StagGrips.jpg

Classic old school Jay Scott plastic stags w/grip adapter on an "experienced" old school Model 36 street queen. :D

M36.jpg

Vintage Eagle Sambar stag on a Single Six. I don't know what the other set fits or who made them, but they don't fit Ruger, Uberti, or ASM - maybe Colt? Judging by the number of alignment holes, they've been on a lot of different things over the years. :lol: I got them on an ASM, but it's a poor fit and not what they were made for.

SingleSixStags.jpg

Four Ruger Old Armies, four sets of Ajax Sambar Stag over 20 years old, back when Sambar was still being exported.  The grips are as they came from Ajax, no additional fitting has been done.

I take one side of each set of grips and put it on each gun.  That way, in strong side holsters, the visible grips match   regardless of which gun goes in which holster.

IMG-2394-1.thumb.jpg.124aa2b15cedddf8d22a5c1427250415.jpg

IMG-2395-1.thumb.jpg.6454e36e46c7c8845c0306aaf60874e7.jpg

Colt Frontier Six Shooters, one piece India Stag grips from Nutmeg Sports, roll stamped barrels, (Frontier Six Shooter) black powder frame, bullseye ejectors, case colored hammers.:)

179110136_DSC_4816copy.jpg.3e6e87f3416c490988a044b88e8d5c57.jpg

On 5/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Classic old school Jay Scott plastic stags w/grip adapter on an "experienced" old school Model 36 street queen. :D

M36.jpg

I LOVE that celluloid Parker!

navy1.jpg

OK, folks, what are these (pictured above) - Sambar or plain ol' American elk? Another member is interested in them, but there is nothing remaining on the back that would indicate Eagle, Ajax, or Nutmeg imported India stag. The color, bark, and weight are consistent with Sambar and similar to the quality being imported in the late-70's and 80's, but without the red & yellow oval sticker or purple ink stamp Eagle used, how do you tell?

XR3grips.jpg

Your grips are Sanbar.

Archived