SASS Wire Forum

What's the going rate on an unmodified 97 shotgun?

Bison Bud

I said "unmodified," but it did have screw chokes installed at some point and because of that I never cut down the barrel.  It is a take down model as well.  Otherwise, it is all original and in good shape and has become a safe queen at my house.

I would also say $400 to $450 depending on the series, D-C-or E, with E being the most desirable.  The over all condition, patina or blue left, the bore or cylinder condition, and how well it functions.  They have had some issues with cracks in the wrist and the left ejector failing.

Personally, I would cut the barrel down.  If you want chokes, just have it re-threaded.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

With screw in chokes, I'd offer you 200 bucks, that is if I didn't pass on it entirely for them being there.   Assuming a 30" full choke barrel in "average" condition, I'd offer $400.   If it's in excellent condition or somehow unusual, that price could go up.

I'd sure like to know what average is ... And for a few bucks you can cut those horrible screw in chokes off and you'll have a $450 plus gun on your hands.

10% Std Config 97's that are functional will bring at least 400. 

Busted left hand extractors and cracked "thin wrist" stocks are common and no biggie.

Phantom

A local gun store had 6 97s recently. None in pristine condition. They were all well used. Each were priced at $750. They've sold 4 of them.

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'd sure like to know what average is ... And for a few bucks you can cut those horrible screw in chokes off and you'll have a $450 plus gun on your hands.

10% Std Config 97's that are functional will bring at least 400. 

Busted left hand extractors and cracked "thin wrist" stocks are common and no biggie.

Phantom

Yeah, but then you have cut barrels, which to me even further detracts from the value.  By "average" I mean a gun in good working order that has an overall grayish patina to it.   That's what most of the 97's I've seen over the years look like.  There are of course many, many exceptions to this.

In truth, the price for 97's HAS gone up in recent years.  Sometimes I wonder about that.  :)

In mn the going rate is about 350.  Depending on condition.  A couple weeks ago I was at an auction and picked up a clean one for the kids to shoot for 275  .  Screw in chokes would detract from the value a bit around here. We still see a couple a month come in at the store.   

19 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

In mn the going rate is about 350.  Depending on condition.  A couple weeks ago I was at an auction and picked up a clean one for the kids to shoot for 275  .  Screw in chokes would detract from the value a bit around here. We still see a couple a month come in at the store.   

Interesting...with the internet, hearing of regional price differences is unusual this days.

Phantom

The last decent $350 1897 I bought was a 1906 D model in 2005 (it's my wife's favorite shotgun).  Currently, around here, you'd be fortunate to find a 97 at a gun show for less than $500 and the average price is $700 and up.  There are some cheaper ones available, sometimes, but most of them are totally worn out guns that some cowboy shooter has run into the ground.

I paid $550 for a 1908 in 60% condition in 2005, $475 for a 1928 in 50% in 2008 and $225 for a 1914 in 20% condition.  That $225 is the ugliest but best shooter for our game of my three.  

I do not understand screw-in chokes in a full-choke barrel.  I think that the choke in these old guns runs 6-10 inches from the muzzle.

15 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I sure wish I knew where these $350 working 97 shotguns are.

I can sell them thru the shop (the ones that I don't keep for myself) for $500+ pretty quickly.

I'll keep you in mind for the next ones we get in.   I've enough for our needs and an extra.   I've had probably 20 in the last few years that came home with me. There just isnt much of a market around us.   With my wife preferring them, and now the kids  too, I try to keep 5 or 6 around.

Wow, a lot more variation than I expected, but I must admit that I liked Widder's answer best!  I've shot with Deuce and other amazing 97 shooters and it is indeed impressive.  As for the screw chokes, they were installed when I bought the gun and one of the reasons I never cut down the barrel.  Since everyone sees them as a big negative, maybe I'll go ahead and cut down the barrel after all.  Anyway, for $300.00 to $400.00 it's going to continue to be a safe queen at my house.  Thanks for the input!

HA!  You can't find a parts gun for any anything near these prices in Florida.  Sounds like I need to take a road trip. 

Average condition down here you are looking at $550-600.  Unmolested (no cowboy gunsmithing) $700+.  If you find one for around $400 you can bet that they will have broken or missing parts. 

And good luck even seeing them here.  Over a year and a half, I kept track of how many 97's I saw at gun shows.  Out of 11 shows, I saw a grand total of 2 all over the sunshine state.  

7 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

HA!  You can't find a parts gun for any anything near these prices in Florida.  Sounds like I need to take a road trip. 

Average condition down here you are looking at $550-600.  Unmolested (no cowboy gunsmithing) $700+.  If you find one for around $400 you can bet that they will have broken or missing parts. 

And good luck even seeing them here.  Over a year and a half, I kept track of how many 97's I saw at gun shows.  Out of 11 shows, I saw a grand total of 2 all over the sunshine state.  

So...yer saying...that people actually still go to gun shows????

Phantom

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So...yer saying...that people actually still go to gun shows????

Phantom

Not in a long time, but some do.  

In 2019, there were two Win '97s hanging on my LGS' wall.  Externally, they looked in "fair" condition and wanted $199.00ea.

Being a soot shooter, I wasn't particularly interested in them.  No, I didn't rack them to see what they felt like.

I figured, maybe someone who shoots them could use 'em as I still have two in the safe I don't use now...  

I told some other shooters about them.

They might have been a bit rough as they hung there for quite a while.

Archived