SASS Wire Forum

ATF nominee gives definition of "Assault Weapon"

Raylan

Essentially any semi-automatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine and is over .22 in caliber such as .223 and above. He is on record saying he would like to ban them or failing that make them all NFA weapons. He was a "hero" at Waco. My so called assault weapons have killed fewer women and children than he participated in at Waco. 

May be okay on the Remington Model 8 if the magazine is fixed. But you're screwed if you have a Winchester Model 1907.

winchestermodel1907.jpg

The Supreme Court needs to rule on the second amendment and void all laws restricting any firearms.

The federalist papers explain in detail what the citizen's rights are and what the government can not do.

No laws can restrict the rights.

Changing the constitution is required.

Politicians who make laws against the constitution have violated their oath of office and should be prosecuted and jailed.

That ***hole can say whatever he wants. He’s a “regulator” not a lawmaker. Give to your favorite 2A groups and associations that can keep this arsehole and the dictatorship of the proletariat at bay in the courts. 

My question is this, if I use my “assault weapon” to defend myself, would  it then be considered a “Defense Weapon”??

Well, according to WA state ALL semi-automatic rifles are considered assault rifles regardless of caliber, capacity or feeding system. Even my tube-fed .22LR Marlin Model 60 is one. It took me a month to finally bring it home thanks to the additional red tape I had to go through to buy it.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Well, according to WA state ALL semi-automatic rifles are considered assault rifles regardless of caliber, capacity or feeding system. Even my tube-fed .22LR Marlin Model 60 is one. It took me a month to finally bring it home thanks to the additional red tape I had to go through to buy it.

This is true, but it's worth discussing why. This is a result of an initiative, passed by the people, not a legislative action. Washington, notwithstanding its well-know liberal politics, has had very good gun laws. This is gradually being eroded, especially by ultra-wealthy types who fund initiatives, who are very liberal notwithstanding their capitalist wealth, and of whom w have a surplus here.

The authors of this pernicious initiative took note of the fact that in many states, opponents of 'assault weapon' restrictions get around the restrictions by avoiding a single attribute ascribed by legislation purporting to define an 'assault rifle'. The authors of the initiative here avoided the whole 'problem' by defining a semi-auto assault rifle as any semi-auto rifle. So they avoided what they regard as the 'definition' game.

They aren't banned, of course. You just have other hoops to go through, including an extended waiting period, for any semi-auto rifle whatever.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:39 PM, Raylan said:

May be okay on the Remington Model 8 if the magazine is fixed. But you're screwed if you have a Winchester Model 1907.

winchestermodel1907.jpg

And if I have a fifteen round Police Equipment Co. magazine/

15 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

This is true, but it's worth discussing why. This is a result of an initiative, passed by the people, not a legislative action. Washington, notwithstanding its well-know liberal politics, has had very good gun laws. This is gradually being eroded, especially by ultra-wealthy types who fund initiatives, who are very liberal notwithstanding their capitalist wealth, and of whom w have a surplus here.

The authors of this pernicious initiative took note of the fact that in many states, opponents of 'assault weapon' restrictions get around the restrictions by avoiding a single attribute ascribed by legislation purporting to define an 'assault rifle'. The authors of the initiative here avoided the whole 'problem' by defining a semi-auto assault rifle as any semi-auto rifle. So they avoided what they regard as the 'definition' game.

They aren't banned, of course. You just have other hoops to go through, including an extended waiting period, for any semi-auto rifle whatever.

That is all true, but then a bill was introduced this year to make those same semi-auto "assault rifles" illegal. ALL of them.

Archived