SASS Wire Forum

Anyone here done Autocross recently ????

Wayback in the Dark Ages I did some Autocross on my off racing weekends.....

And now that I'm officially Retired and looking for some other activities besides CAS :D and Yardwork :wacko:

I'm too Old & Fat to get back into Motocross..... But Autocross was a lot of Fun.

The last time I did an autocross Carter had just been sworn in.......  I bet there is a Lot I need to brush up on.

So.......  anyone here recently into that Sport ??????

ran one in a tesla last  year. the mall is closed and tesla dealership set it up   .

we all got to use a Model S with the go fast package 

not as much fun as when we got to drive out own cars long ago 

but it was going fast and that is always fun 

Howdy,

It has been a good while since I ran one but folks still compete.

Just air up your tires and remove every loose item from your car.

Study the course and watch the more serious competitors for pointers.

I always liked using my own helmet.

They might not even allow loaners these days.

Maybe give it a try and consider it good if you dont finish last.

And torque those lug nuts.

Give it a try just for fun.

Im sure it would wear me to a frazzle.

Best

CR

dont fergit yer canteen.

A Helmet is one of the things I have questions about, you're right using a Loaner is not a great idea.

But the rules say it has to be Snell approved SA2015 or newer....

And that leaves out All of my old Racing Helmets and every Helmet I've looked at in several Motorcycle Shops.

I've found some online But they are $$$$$ and I've never gotten a new Helmet without trying several on first.

There has got to be a good source somewhere ???

And the only forum I've found online that even mentions Autocross is a Porsche Owners forum ....

Anyone know of a good place online to look for answers?

You'd think the SCCA would have such a place, but if they do I cant find it.................

10 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

A Helmet is one of the things I have questions about, you're right using a Loaner is not a great idea.

But the rules say it has to be Snell approved SA2015 or newer....

And that leaves out All of my old Racing Helmets and every Helmet I've looked at in several Motorcycle Shops.

I've found some online But they are $$$$$ and I've never gotten a new Helmet without trying several on first.

There has got to be a good source somewhere ???

And the only forum I've found online that even mentions Autocross is a Porsche Owners forum ....

Anyone know of a good place online to look for answers?

You'd think the SCCA would have such a place, but if they do I cant find it.................

Check this out then look below:

https://www.racinghelmetguide.com/autocross-helmets.html

Lookie here:

https://www.revzilla.com/snell-m2015-motorcycle-helmets?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Text-Generic-Category-Helmets&utm_id=bing_73174404_1346901765729503_77584437452105_kwd-84181369802759:loc-190_m&utm_term=%2Bsnell %2Bhelmet&msclkid=2f1c7b9c26321aa38b0f1b32fc1a710a

and here:

https://www.cyclegear.com/motorcycle-helmets?view_all=true&page=1&limit=96&facets[]=3808&is_new=false&is_sale=false&is_made_in_usa=false&is_holiday=false&is_blemished=false&ships_two_day=false&sort=featured&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=bing_73271666_1233652254143272_77103396913113_kwd-77103437999577:loc-190_m&utm_campaign=CGD-Text-Generic-National-Category-Helmets&utm_term=%2BSnell %2BHelmets&msclkid=b7852d3a3608128319994d94ec2030f1

Thanks, I THINK the events here require a Snell A rated helmet, an M Rated wont cut it,

And I KNOW they have to be 2015 or newer............ 

I've have located a Local Autocross Guru ............ he said I could call him tomorrow....

Hopefully I can get my questions answered............ THANKS !!!!!

Howdy,

The Grassroots Motorsports magazine and website might help.

Maybe go to one event and ask around, try on some helmets if folks

are immunized??? maybe??

Autocross is NOT racing.  The helmet rules may be more flexible?

Depending on the setup an autocross is probably safer than driving

on a big city street....

Maybe dont start jumping into the deep end.

Best

CR

If you have an older helmet in top condition they might allow it once or twice.

9 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

ran one in a tesla last  year. the mall is closed and tesla dealership set it up   .

we all got to use a Model S with the go fast package 

not as much fun as when we got to drive out own cars long ago 

but it was going fast and that is always fun 

Does 1968 count as recently?

Actually, in regards to motorcycle racing helmets a helmet older than 7 years is considered too old. I got a lecture over the phone from a snotty punk at Arai when I called about parts for a helmet that I bought in the late 90’s. 
He explained I would need a new helmet as they wouldn’t sell me parts. I thanked him and then said I would have the Bell Helmet rep call him to thank him for sending my business their way again. 
That shut him up. And I hung up. 
I didn’t tell him I was just a bike rider, not a racer. 

For cars, you want a car helmet, not a motorcycle helmet. The difference is the flammability or lack of it for the lining.  Motorcycles don’t worry about it as there is almost no chance of the rider catching on fire.  For cars it’s one of the most common ways to be injured.   I have heard some of the motorcycle linings can melt under high heat causing burns.   

Got ahold of my personal Guru... And got several questions answered also got several informational links and a copy of the Rules.

Looks like most every group that runs an Autocross has some different rules though......

Many do accept M rated Helmets, but not all ....  They All do accept SA2020 rated ones.

And now I have to buy Two of em.....

Kalamity Kathy sez since we're using Her Car, she wants to drive too.....  This is gettin' expensive!!

maxresdefault.jpg.8b820b79b125a64ebe98afe1f384dbd7.jpg

Oh Yea.... My Guru sez he will let me ride with him on one of his early runs....

He drives one of these........

external-content.duckduckgo-1.jpg.e285187a087b76579b55a643d5d6245a.jpg

Thanks All !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived