SASS Wire Forum

Dogs sleepy time toy

Trigger Mike

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Do you remember how your kids had the one toy they kept close while they slept?

This morning I went outside and saw my dog snuggled up close to a baby deer.

20210526_084420.jpg

Oh no....I take back the THANKS button. Needs the sad!!!:(

Sometimes my dogs show up with a deer leg or other part.  I don't think they are fast enough to hunt down a healthy one as they limp a lot.  Mainly they likely bring back weak deer.  Once in a while we find a fawn lost from its mama.  We have coyotes around as well as a black panther so it's mama may be unable to help it.  

I will add that we are trying to grow corn and watermelon and edamame(edible soybeans) to sell as well as eat, and deer are so abundant that we lose more to deer than to drought so we don't mourn a dead deer.  

The only black panthers are in cities. I told a friendly wildlife biologist that I thought I had seen one and he corrected me. There are black leopards and Jaguars but not mountain lions

Yeah I kinda think it's dead too. Fawns don't lay on their sides with their big white belly exposed. And they don't lay out in the open so everyone can see them. They lay down on their belly, covering up the white, so their brown camouflage back is showing, slightly, through the concealing brush.

fawn in the woods.jpg

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yeah I kinda think it's dead too. Fawns don't lay on their sides with their big white belly exposed. And they don't lay out in the open so everyone can see them. They lay down on their belly, covering up the white, so their brown camouflage back is showing, slightly, through the concealing brush.

fawn in the woods.jpg

Yep

IMG_20180526_141212712_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

20210526_084420.jpg

Maybe he’s waiting for you to cook it! :P

We pit it out by our corn field where deer have been destroying our crops and later this evening a vulture was eating it and my son was walking down a freshly plowed row of potatoes to harvest them and the vulture chased him to his truck.  

I shot a deer one year and because of poor shot placement it ran onto the next property.  By the time we got over there and found it the neighbor's greater pyranees was cuddled up next to it.  The dog followed us home.  Much better than the time we found the deer by following the bloody dog who had started eating it's guts. 

I am not sure of the laws where you live TM, but in Pennsylvania a dog seen chasing deer can and should be shot. At least that is the way it was when I was growing up there. 
I know that the owners of dogs that chased deer could be cited and fined if there dog killed a deer. 

I am not posting this as a criticism, just information you should check on regarding laws and regs in your state. 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, Trigger Mike said:

20210526_084420.jpg

could be he's practicing to become a deer rancher.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not sure of the laws where you live TM, but in Pennsylvania a dog seen chasing deer can and should be shot. At least that is the way it was when I was growing up there. 
I know that the owners of dogs that chased deer could be cited and fined if there dog killed a deer. 

I am not posting this as a criticism, just information you should check on regarding laws and regs in your state. 

Never heard of such a law here, matter of fact just last night the county finally appointed a dog catcher but he only comes out for vicious animals.  Dogs roam free all the time here and a pit bull once kept coming around and the deputy that came said for me to shoot it next time.  

Archived