SASS Wire Forum

Is anybody shooting a takedown lever rifle?

Mustang Gregg

How well does it hold up to the repeated SASS use?

I'm curious to know too.  Seems really convenient for transport and cleaning from the breech. 

I shoot with one guy that has a 1892 clone that is a take-down model.  I believe the gun is manufactured by Chiappa.  The barrel, mag tube, and forearm all have an unsettling shift to it when I have handled the rifle.  The owner just shrugged and said no matter what he does it won't stay tight. 

I have a '92 made by Chiappa that I bought from Nate Kiowa Jones.  Haves put 2000 to 3000 rounds per year through it every year for the past 10 years and it is just as tight and accurate as the day I bought it.  It is in 357 and has put many deer on the ground at 75 plus yards, great little rifle.

4 hours ago, Tracker Jack Daniels,58780 said:

I have a '92 made by Chiappa that I bought from Nate Kiowa Jones.  Haves put 2000 to 3000 rounds per year through it every year for the past 10 years and it is just as tight and accurate as the day I bought it.  It is in 357 and has put many deer on the ground at 75 plus yards, great little rifle.

Do you take it down regularly?

Please, let of these responses be bad.  I have a hankering for another 1892 in .32WCF, and the recent run of Jap-chesters included a pistol-grip take-down SRC in .32 WCF.

Very pricey and hard to find.

All bad responses, all bad....

Does this count?

MaresLeg.jpg.016b4eab8db29bea52872034ef53377c.jpg
It's the Chiappa Mare's Leg in take down configuration.   I have one, and find it to be a sweet shooter.  (Not SASS Legal, but sometimes you can use 'em if you ask the MD nicely well in advance.)  The takedown feature makes cleaning a lot easier.  While I am a "Lightning guy" this handy little pistol has me very seriously considering getting a takedown 92 rifle to add to the collection.   If not a real Winchester, I'd go with the Chiappa.  No stupid safety, and the action is every bit as smooth as an original.  More expensive than others on the market, but worth the expense in my opinion.

Chief Rick, I take it down before every major match, 4 to 5 times a year.  I find it is much easier to do a deep clean and lube that way.  I like to make sure all the black powder fouling is gone everywhere in the innards.

My old Pard ran a gunsmithing shop in Fremont, NE called Brass Action.

He was a master at big and small lever rifles and Colt SAA's. 

But alas, Ed passed away a few years ago.  It was before I could give him a .44 M1892 to make into a takedown.

He built several of them that I got to try out and they worked great.

Rest in peace, Ed.

I don't think it would be inexpensive. But this guy can do it to your gun. I truly believe you'd be ahead buying a Chiappa or Japanese Winchester already made that way, WAY ahead.

http://www.thearmsroom.com/index.html

Archived