SASS Wire Forum

WTB: authentic looking knife with a leather sheath

Howdy 

Currently I am carrying Buck 119 on my rig and was looking to add something more time period correct... not too bulky, not bigger than 119...  antler or wood handle, leather sheath...  budget is definetely low - up to $50-60.... as it will be mostly for looks

Thanks

Hi!,

Go to ebay and do a search for "Jeff White Knife"; you'll see a number of them listed  for just a bit over your price range (but below $100).  Many of these will work as simple fairly period correct knives. (I have no connection to these knives or the seller who uses the rifle and colored blanket as background.)

Do a search for cowboy knives. Lots to see.

Check out chisholm trail leather online. Great historical and western movie reproductions there.

http://www.westernleatherholster.com/cowboy-knives-leather-knife-sheaths-bowie-knives/

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

If I'm not mistaken most knives of the period were more like camp knives. Closer to a kitchen blade and wood handle.

Most fixed blade knives were what you described. From what I've  read though most cowboys carried a small folding knife in a pocket. A large knife worn on a belt while riding could become quite troublesome when the rider suddenly found himself not riding anymore at the horse's whim...  A pocket folder was and still is quite a useful tool. Generally carried in a cowboy's vest pocket.

CAS cowboys carry a larger belt knife on their gunrigs for all sorts of reasons real cowboys did not.

39 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Most fixed blade knives were what you described. From what I've  read though most cowboys carried a small folding knife in a pocket. A large knife worn on a belt while riding could become quite troublesome when the rider suddenly found himself not riding anymore at the horse's whim...  A pocket folder was and still is quite a useful tool. Generally carried in a cowboy's vest pocket.

CAS cowboys carry a larger belt knife on their gunrigs for all sorts of reasons real cowboys did not.

True enough about the pocket knife. I think the camp knives were also referred to as trade knives. Some examples, many to choose from. My pard Billy Boots picked up a silver handled carving knife and had a sheath made for it. Here are some examples.

knife cowboy.jpg

knifetrade.jpg

www.crazycrow.com

Green River knives for great authenticity for truly old school/old old west knives like Goody is describing.

here is the one I carried on my Classic Cowboy rig. I will sell it for 90.00 shipped. I realize it is above your stated price range.

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg

Hillbilly Drifter,

What are the blade and overall measurementsnof your knife?

4 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Hillbilly Drifter,

What are the blade and overall measurementsnof your knife?

5" blade. 9 3/4 " overall

There were a few at least some large knives in the hands of early fighting men traveling/living in the west.  The Ames Rifleman's Knife would have been an example of one dating to the 1840s and earlier, do not forget some of the descriptions of the Bowie were of a large fighting knife.  I am in a care setting right now and do not have a reference to my library right now but I do also remember a reference in one of my famous fights histories of the old west in which a saloon fight took place at a card table.

As I remember the guy with the pistol emptied it from across the table into a really large miner type following which the big guy got hold of him and carved him up with a large knife he was carrying.  The big guy died very shortly later as I recall.  I Like the big knives, they add balance for the big pistols and do come in handy BUT I do wear smaller ones,depending on the costume style! 

Archived