SASS Wire Forum

WD-40 and guns

Buckshot Bob

My van is 12 years old.  The plastic covers over my headlights are cloudy and scratched.  Wipe them with WD40 and they become remarkably transparent,  Repeat weekly.

I won’t use it on a gun.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:05 PM, Cat Brules said:

Spoiler.

i use WD40 to clean my guns.

I use it outdoors, over paper to blast out the gun,...

Me too.  Gets the gunk off the blow back off the Carrier block so I can shoot the next stage.  Yes it would be smarter to clean the '66 at home but being smart is not something I've been accused of.   

On 5/25/2021 at 11:05 PM, Warden Callaway said:

I remember dad trying it on his knees to relieve arthritis pain. 

My dad use to spray it on his Big Toe to relieve his Gout! Swore by it. 

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

My van is 12 years old.  The plastic covers over my headlights are cloudy and scratched.  Wipe them with WD40 and they become remarkably transparent,  Repeat weekly.

I won’t use it on a gun.

Use Turtle Wax polishing compound on those lenses.

Lasts for months.

OLG 

On 5/26/2021 at 2:05 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I remember dad trying it on his knees to relieve arthritis pain. 

Did it work?  I's sure more than a few who hang-out here would be interested! 

55 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Did it work?  I's sure more than a few who hang-out here would be interested! 

Google it.  Some have tried it.  Medical industry and WD40 won't endorse it. 

A blizzard of pop-ups.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2470140/Can-WD-40-cure-arthritis-Wacky-home-remedies-test-panel-doctors-new-TV-Health-Freaks---surprising-results.html

On 5/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

It's actually terrible for keeping rust away. It is good for displacing water and dissolving itself if you let it gum up. That's it and there hasn;t been can in my house for over 30 years.

It is not corrosive. It's a petroleum based oil and that's what kills primers.

The only way to use it on guns. If you want something that does the same thing but doesn't gum up use Birchwood Casey Barricade, spray or wipes. Barricade is a water displacing polarized oil.

I have found it very good as a final wipe down after proper cleaning, before the guns go back in the safe.   If its terrible for keeping rust away you wouldn't know it from my experience. And that's with guns shot with BP loads.   Seems to keep the bluing "blue" too....

Kils primers?  yeah..that's what everyone says.  I was curious and did a little experiment years ago...  sprayed WD-40 directly into 10 primers...let em sit for a few days then loaded them...(no propellant or bullet...just the primer)  All 10 went off.   Not sure where that idea came from that its an "Insta Kill" on primers but it sure is widespread....Of course there are many "Everyone knows" matters in the gun world that have been handed down as gospel.... ;)

Well everyone wants to downplay WD-40. That is the way I feel about "Balistol".  I have used WD-40 most of my life and consider it a Staple in the shop, around the house and indispensable in the RV or anyplace you need something to quickly get things moving.  It makes things work faster than Jack Swift. Yeah, yeah, all the stories about it turning to wax and gumming up guns, I've not had that experience, but I have also never used it as or expected it to be a permanent lubricate. It is a solvent and darned good one for quickly loosening up something that needs to be loosened. It displaces water very quickly and a quick squirt on a rag and wipe down of a gun or anything else is a fast and effective short term treatment for rust. The guy in the video that blast it and doesn't want it in the shop is just full of Baloney. Know how and when to use it and it is one of the Best front line sprays to have around. It's not the number one spray used around the world for no reason at all. It works.

Snakebite

8 hours ago, Snakebite said:

\a Staple in the shop, around the house and indispensable in the RV or anyplace you need something to quickly get things moving. ........ It is a solvent and darned good one ....

Snakebite

I looked at the SDS for WD40 and its 2/3rds Stoddard solvent so Snakebite has it correct, very useful but its not my favorite like Brake Free CLP or Hoppe's 9 is.

Fordyce

Archived