SASS Wire Forum

WD-40 and guns

Buckshot Bob

Had a smith that taught at local college that hated WD 40 just for that reason.That was over 20 years ago.

Largo

WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant formula 40. 

It is not a lubricant. It is not a cleaner. Works pretty good at keeping water from rusting things.

I've always worked on guns.  Had an FFL for 10 years.  Guys would bring me 22 automatic rifles that wouldn't function.  They'd say, "I sprayed WD40 in it and it worked for a few shots.".  I'd take the gun apart to find what looked like a wad of chewing tobacco inside.  I'd clean it up and oil it properly and give them back the gun and tell them to quit using wax coated bullets and WD40.

WD-40 is a corrosive. Don't let it get around your primers.  

We use it lightly in the SG chamber in between stages.

BS

Spoiler.

i use WD40 to clean my guns.

I use it outdoors, over paper to blast out the gun, including the inner mechanisms and bore.  A few swipes with a rod-driven bore bore brush and swab, then pinpoints of gun oil and small, oily swab through the bore.  Light wipe-off.  I leave it wrapped in a gun rag for a while, then store.

Many moons ago I traded for a west german Weatherbey .300

The previous owner used nothing but wd-40 on it. The bolt and locking lugs were so gummed up it took some effort to close and lock the bolt. After about 3 hours of scrubbing and thorough cleaning and some real gun lube, you could  tilt the gun barrel down 45° and the bolt will close and partially lock without touching it !!

That's german precision!

It's definitely a keeper.....

Wd-40 is an amazing product, just not for shootin irons !

I have had several Smith and Wesson revolvers that haven't been out of the safe for 30 years

that were locked up tight.   Back then used a lot of WD-40.   Let Krol seep in for a day

and they were as good as new.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant formula 40. 

It is not a lubricant. It is not a cleaner. Works pretty good at keeping water from rusting things.

It's actually terrible for keeping rust away. It is good for displacing water and dissolving itself if you let it gum up. That's it and there hasn;t been can in my house for over 30 years.

1 hour ago, Barry Sloe said:

WD-40 is a corrosive. Don't let it get around your primers.  

We use it lightly in the SG chamber in between stages.

BS

It is not corrosive. It's a petroleum based oil and that's what kills primers.

59 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

After shooting on a wet day my guns get wiped down with WD40 before going in the gun socks. Peace of mind if I don’t get to them for a while. Later, at home, they get wiped down again, this time with CLP. Then they get cleaned and lubricated.

The only way to use it on guns. If you want something that does the same thing but doesn't gum up use Birchwood Casey Barricade, spray or wipes. Barricade is a water displacing polarized oil.

I scrub my guns with dawn and water. Shake off the excess water, spray wd40 in the hard to reach spots to make sure there's no water sitting in there. Dry/shake out as much as I can then lubricate them with bore butter. Been doing that for years. Oh yeah I'm a bp shooter 

What's Inside WD-40? Superlube's Secret Sauce
  • Mineral Oil. Seriously. ... 
  • Decane. WD-40 contains an abundance of alkanes—hydrocarbons that match the formula CxH2x+2, usually in a long, zigzagging chain. ... 
  • Nonane. Another alkane. ... 
  • Our lab analyzed WD-40 with gas chromatography (GC) and mass spectroscopy (MS). ... 
  • Tetradecane. ... 
  • Cyclohexane. ... 
  • Carbon Dioxide.

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Of all the great gun products out there...we have to actually give time to the notion of WD-40 being a good gun cleaner/lub/etc???

Good lord.

Phantom

Actually no , the Brownells guys are saying it’s terrible. It’s just always surprised me how many people think it’s great for guns . And even after hearing form a couple of guys that represent a company like Brownells , and would be considered subject matter experts , some people will still refuse to believe it . 
Totally agree with you that there are tons of great gun products out there . Guess that’s why I don’t get why people would want to use WD , motor oil or axle grease .

22 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Actually no , the Brownells guys are saying it’s terrible. It’s just always surprised me how many people think it’s great for guns . And even after hearing form a couple of guys that represent a company like Brownells , and would be considered subject matter experts , some people will still refuse to believe it . 
Totally agree with you that there are tons of great gun products out there . Guess that’s why I don’t get why people would want to use WD , motor oil or axle grease .

You do realize most gun grease is literally just repackaged axle grease, right?

2 minutes ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

You do realize most gun grease is literally just repackaged axle grease, right?

Some is , some is not and can ruin the finish on some guns and stocks . You can purchase a product that is intended for firearms and not have to find out the hard way. There’s lots of very inexpensive gun oils and greases out there . And unless you’re a professional shooter a can of oil and a small container of grease will last a long time.

I have a buddy that’s a t chemist that has formulated allot of additive packages for grease and motor oil and even they can vari quite a bit depending on the application. 
I just think for how little it costs it’s easier to use something that is intended for the application.

Nothing I know of has been tested more than Breakfree CLP . The military probably has more money into it than any taxpayer wants  to know. Breakfree is cheap . And unless you’re shooing a  garand allot or BP most people don’t use much grease . 
Allot of guns these days are dipped , or ceracoated , painted with something. So the wrong additive could effect a finish that’s expensive to replace.

Ive see a few guns ruined by carb cleaner , it just safer to use something intended for firearms 

FYI, WD-40 is great for removing pine sap from chest hair areas.

as stated in the video its great on a wet gun.  I was in a duck blind one morning and my foot hit my shotgun leaned against the blind.  it rotated and went splash right through the slats in the floor.  they were just wide enough the gun slid right through.  lucky the water was only about 2.5 ft deep.  one of the guys in the blind had a small can of WD-40.  it saved my gun that morning.  field stripped it and sprayed the crap out of it and was able to hunt the rest of the morning.  we were hunting a back bay of Galveston bay.  Saltwater.   when home of course I cleaned it thoroughly .  great stuff when used for its intended purpose.

Skinny

6 minutes ago, Skinny snake eyes pickins said:

as stated in the video its great on a wet gun.  I was in a duck blind one morning and my foot hit my shotgun leaned against the blind.  it rotated and went splash right through the slats in the floor.  they were just wide enough the gun slid right through.  lucky the water was only about 2.5 ft deep.  one of the guys in the blind had a small can of WD-40.  it saved my gun that morning.  field stripped it and sprayed the crap out of it and was able to hunt the rest of the morning.  we were hunting a back bay of Galveston bay.  Saltwater.   when home of course I cleaned it thoroughly .  great stuff when used for its intended purpose.

Skinny

I think that’s one of the good points of the video. They really aren’t slamming WD-40 . Just stating it’s a bad lubricant and rust preventative for firearms. It’s very useful for cleaning and displacing water . 

When I first got interested in guns, I borrowed a Sig 380 from a feller at work. Got it home and it wouldn't cycle. Disassembled and it was all gunked up with what looked like hardened vaseline. Talked to him and he had only been lubing with WD-40.

How about Eezox ... cleans smokeless and black powder foul, is a lube and rust preventative... all in the same can. 
Shop rag with it used to wipe down all metal on firearms before they are stored in safe

PS:  WD40, a water displacement is primarily mineral oil

I’ve heard good things about Eezox also know people who swear by Ballostol . Also have heard fantastic things about  Hornady one shot . For about the last 5 years I’ve been using slip 2000 products. They have a citrus based cleaner and carbon killer you can soak parts in and their oil is purchased by the military. They just emailed me a holiday cupon code if anyone wants to try their stuff . Not pushing it or affiliated in any way, just feel it’s made a chore I don’t really enjoy easier .

Today Through June 2nd

SAVE ON ALL OUR LUBRICANTS, CLEANERS, CLEANING KITS, & MORE!
S.gif

Use Code: MEMDAY
S.gif
S.gif
8c075b77-a1a5-43f8-93ac-d72aea366e72.png
S.gif
S.gif

52e54eeb-5635-4519-b8ff-739b6d3fdd96.png

Follow us on Instagram!

Stay updated on products, get tips, and be the first to know about specials we have going on!
2cd0d98f-d84d-4702-b682-d0403c266198.png

This offer cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Coupon not valid for Gift Certificates and cannot be used on clearance items. Offer is only valid for Slip 2000 online orders. Discount cannot be applied to orders already being processed. The discount is applied to listed prices. Order(s) must be placed by June 2, 2021 11:59PM PST. Subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Slip 2000 | 559-374-2101 | Slip2000.com

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sprayed on a shop towel, I use WD-40 as a wipe down before they go back into the safe.

Never had any issue and my guns are rust free.

Never used it as a 'lube'. 

OLG 

Exactly. It's not a lube.  Wipe it on, it displaces the water very effectively.  Years ago I had a 1969 GTO.  Something weird was going on with the distributor cap and living in LA (lower Alabama) we got a lot of rain.  I got in the habit of keeping a can or so of WD40 in the car.  When I would hit torrential downpours, or standing water and stall out, a quick shot of WD40 and I was back on the road. 

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sprayed on a shop towel, I use WD-40 as a wipe down before they go back into the safe.

Never had any issue and my guns are rust free.

Never used it as a 'lube'. 

OLG 

Thats how we use it in the gun shop.

After a gun is handled; it is wiped down with a shop rag that has been sprayed with WD 40 - removes fingerprint oils and keeps a light film on the outside of the gun.

Kept out of internals - it works perfectly well at an economic price for our purposes.

Archived