SASS Wire Forum

Sad State

Watching the news this morning and they reported on the warm weather, nothing new here. They went on to show a graphic comparing outside air temperatures to the air temp inside a closed car at 10 and 30 minutes.  Now for the kicker, they suggested that you put your cell phone in the backseat, why you ask, so you don’t forget a child, saying you won’t get far before you realize that you don’t have your phone.  It’s a sad state when someone’s priority is a phone over a child, what does that say about people today?

I wish people would put their cell phone on the back seat while driving. It would serve two purposes. One, they could concentrate on their driving instead of their damn cell phone. Two, it might save their kid...maybe.

I really believe that society would have been better off without cell phones, the internet and texting. They have their pros and cons but the cons have begun to outweigh the pros.

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Unbelievable how stupid people can be! 

DON’T ENCOURAGE ‘EM!!  You will find yourself in a constant state of amazement and they will just become more STUPID!!!

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I wish people would put their cell phone on the back seat while driving. It would serve two purposes. One, they could concentrate on their driving instead of their damn cell phone. Two, it might save their kid...maybe.

I really believe that society would have been better off without cell phones, the internet and texting. They have their pros and cons but the cons have begun to outweigh the pros.

"Begun to"?  I've never thought any of them were essential, though I would miss my internet.  It's convenient, but not truly essential.

Or maybe they could repeal the law that says you have to put the kid in the backseat. I never left a kid in the car. They were right there on the front seat next to me.

Anyone that walks away leaving their kid in the car because they forgot them should be subject to a Slap-fest. 
That is where the person is placed in Stocks at the police station and anyone that wishes can walk up and slap them. 

Of course some moron would break a nail and sue…and at that point they should get a Slap-fest. 

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Anyone that walks away leaving their kid in the car because they forgot them should be subject to a Slap-fest. 
That is where the person is placed in Stocks at the police station and anyone that wishes can walk up and slap them. 

Of course some moron would break a nail and sue…and at that point they should get a Slap-fest. 

I’d like to slap a hair lip on most (of these) people. 

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"Begun to"?  I've never thought any of them were essential, though I would miss my internet.  It's convenient, but not truly essential.

I should have left "have begun to" out of my post entirely. Good point.

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A good ole Airplane type Slap-fest....yeah....I like that!;)

I have a different take on this. Many of these incident  when a child is left in a car it’s because it was not part of the daily routine for the parent to be transporting the child. Locked in the normal procedure of driving to the workplace they were essentially on auto pilot. The child was asleep in the back seat. The parent parked hot out and headed to the job, thinking more about a cup of coffee and what was going to happen than the fact that they had forgotten to drop the baby off at day care or grandma’s  house or whatever.

This has nothing to do with intelligence or irresponsibility but the fact that  the brain can get programmed to an amazing extent by constant repetition of the same task. Any change in that task simply may not register as you begging the same repetitive moves. Especially if you are tired or distracted. 
Here’s a for instance. I have two routes out to the main highway. One goes north and then west. When I hit the highway via that route I turn north towards Dove Creek. The other route takes me out to the highway where I turn south towards the Post Office or Cortez. I have occasionally turned the wrong way, due usually to road work, when forced to take the route I had not planned to. I usually get realize turned the wrong way before too long but I’m seldom tired or distracted.
I can understand how these things could happen, tragic as it is.

I think the phone in the back seat is a good idea.

12 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have a different take on this. Many of these incident  when a child is left in a car it’s because it was not part of the daily routine for the parent to be transporting the child. Locked in the normal procedure of driving to the workplace they were essentially on auto pilot. The child was asleep in the back seat. The parent parked hot out and headed to the job, thinking more about a cup of coffee and what was going to happen than the fact that they had forgotten to drop the baby off at day care or grandma’s  house or whatever.

This has nothing to do with intelligence or irresponsibility but the fact that  the brain can get programmed to an amazing extent by constant repetition of the same task. Any change in that task simply may not register as you begging the same repetitive moves. Especially if you are tired or distracted. 
Here’s a for instance. I have two routes out to the main highway. One goes north and then west. When I hit the highway via that route I turn north towards Dove Creek. The other route takes me out to the highway where I turn south towards the Post Office or Cortez. I have occasionally turned the wrong way, due usually to road work, when forced to take the route I had not planned to. I usually get realize turned the wrong way before too long but I’m seldom tired or distracted.
I can understand how these things could happen, tragic as it is.

I think the phone in the back seat is a good idea.

Totally agree

Just ask any cop that has been on the job for a long time. We have seen the most intelligent people do the most stupid things that they would not normally do. And at times seen the most stupid person do the most intelligent thing. As we use to say, "folks is folks". As a cop it's the routine that can get you killed. No one sets out to leave their child in the back seat to find them dead later on, unless it was intentional. Your worse day starts my day.

I’m not saying that anyone intentionally leaves their kid (though I’m sure some have), but c’mon, forgetting your child is in the car, sleeping or otherwise, I’m not buying it.  Taking a wrong turn is one thing but forgetting a baby?   When that child is in the car that becomes  priority 1, no cell phone, no cup of coffee, nothing should get someone distracted enough to forget a child.   Now I’m not saying that every parent should be prosecuted because just living with the realization of what they did should be tormenting enough for any sane person. 

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’m not saying that anyone intentionally leaves their kid (though I’m sure some have), but c’mon, forgetting your child is in the car, sleeping or otherwise, I’m not buying it.  Taking a wrong turn is one thing but forgetting a baby?   When that child is in the car that becomes  priority 1, no cell phone, no cup of coffee, nothing should get someone distracted enough to forget a child.   Now I’m not saying that every parent should be prosecuted because just living with the realization of what they did should be tormenting enough for any sane person. 

Taking a wrong turn and forgetting the baby are not the same thing. But the reason for both is exactly the same.
What I’m saying is the brain gets programmed. That’s just the way it works. It’s science. Ask a neurologist.
And I’ve never met a human being that’s wasn’t able to be distracted.

I think leaving the phone or something you know you will need when you get out of the car is a pretty good solution. Even talking off your shoes and putting them in the back seat would work. 

My dad had issue with leaving the lights on in his truck during the day.

It did not take long for him to get tired of charging the battery to start his truck almost every day he drove it.

He put a cloths pin on the ignition key to remind him the lights where on.

Ended the recharging to drive the truck.

Using cell phones in cars has always been a bad idea in my opinion.

After 20 years without a phone or cell phone, I had to get one because of all the hospital visits.

Twice a week for over 2 years now.

I how every have no problem turning it off before getting in the car.

My friends know I don't answer the phone and the old method of communication was e-mail.

Still work today for me.

I think the broadcaster could have used a better word choice than “something important”. Maybe they should have said, “Leave something that makes you habitually look in the back seat...”

Like UB, I believe it is entirely possible for a good parent to be out of their rhythm and forget that they have a sleeping child in the back until it’s tragically too late. No amount of jail time or “slap fest” will punish that parent more than their own conscious will. 

My beef is with parents who knowingly leave kids or pets in hot cars while they make a “short trip” into the grocery or liquor store. In the summer time I’m constantly scanning parking lots for these situations, and have intervened in more than one. 

I will never understand leaving your kid in a car.  People tell me they don’t remember because they are too young.  I was a dad at 22 and just don’t see how that can happen.

IMHO ... I think that very often people don't forget a child in the backseat of a car (when they get out of the car) at all. 

I think they see the child there (asleep or otherwise) and plan on running in and doing something quickly.

Once they are in there it is "THEN" that they forget about the child being in the vehicle. 

Like ... ohhh ... I'm gonna be late to work ... I will simply pull in the parking lot ... run in and make an appearance (make sure people see me) ... then run back out to the car and go drop the child off. 

Unfortunatey .. once inside ... they fall in to their routine and forgot about the child altogether. 

In any case .. I'll bet the "rule/laws" to put kid's carseats in the backseat has killed more children that it has saved from collisions.  

I can understand getting distracted, but if a person values their phone more than their child...that’s wrong. And if they do value the child more than their phone and it isn’t ringing does that still save the the child?  I agree with the OP, if you need to put your phone in the back seat to remember your child, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

17 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I think the broadcaster could have used a better word choice than “something important”. Maybe they should have said, “Leave something that makes you habitually look in the back seat...”

Like UB, I believe it is entirely possible for a good parent to be out of their rhythm and forget that they have a sleeping child in the back until it’s tragically too late. No amount of jail time or “slap fest” will punish that parent more than their own conscious will. 

My beef is with parents who knowingly leave kids or pets in hot cars while they make a “short trip” into the grocery or liquor store. In the summer time I’m constantly scanning parking lots for these situations, and have intervened in more than one. 

Exactly. That is total stupidity, disregard for human life, and illegal. Not ignorance. Not distraction. Manslaughter charge  at least. 

I will never understand forgetting your kid in the car for any reason! That's just being a pure idiot! I was also a dad at 22 like dannyd said, I just can't imagine! :angry:

For many years, riding in the middle of the front seat was dangerous when my mother was driving.  In hard stops or sharp turns, she habitually extended her right arm to restrain the child standing or sitting beside her.  This resulted in many a slap to the face or chest of, now grown, occupants.  

We didn't die.  She never forgot we were there.

13 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

For many years, riding in the middle of the front seat was dangerous when my mother was driving.  In hard stops or sharp turns, she habitually extended her right arm to restrain the child standing or sitting beside her.  This resulted in many a slap to the face or chest of, now grown, occupants.  

We didn't die.  She never forgot we were there.

My Mom would do the same thing!  I’ll never forget the ‘64 Chevy Belaire  Stationwagon, inline 6, no A/C, they put that clear vinyl on the seats that had little raised diamonds, in the summer when you got out of the car you had waffle thighs.  My folks took 3 kids in that car in the ‘60’s to Florida, I can’t imagine the patients they must of had. 

Archived