SASS Wire Forum

CPR on someone that does not need it

Alpo

If you perform CPR on somebody that did not need it - doing that rhythmic pressing on their chest over the heart thing - could that actually hurt the person you were doing it on?

Used to be on television when they were "doing CPR", when they lean down to theoretically push, they actually bent at the elbows, so that (they're) THEIR back and body went down and it looked like they were pushing, but no force was actually done on the "dying" actor's body.

Lately, however, they seem to actually be pushing down on the chest. I suppose they could have a dummy that looks like the actor there, but I wonder if possibly science has discovered that pressing down on the chest over the heart of someone whose heart is beating perfectly does not cause any damage.

When doing compressions, you have to overcome the protective strength of the rib cage in order to massage the heart and lungs. That means some heavy duty flexing that can crack the sternum and ribs. I did CPR on a guy once and heard and felt the crunching from his chest. In that kind of situation it’s a last resort and you do what you have to.

But your question is about Hollyweird and no, you wouldn’t do chest compressions on someone who didn’t need it. 

48 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"Can you damage someone’s heart if you perform CPR while it is beating?

The physicians and scientists at the Sarver Heart Center, have found that the old saying "Never perform CPR on beating heart" is not valid."

Apparently

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

science has discovered that pressing down on the chest over the heart of someone whose heart is beating perfectly does not cause any damage.

If you've done cpr especially on old people you know the feeling.

Bones break. You do cpr cause they're already flatlined

25 minutes ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

Way before I was married, I tried this on a date and got slapped.  I would not recommend it. :D

AS RE another thread:  By any chance did this date happen to be Irish?

CS

8 hours ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

Way before I was married, I tried this on a date and got slapped.  I would not recommend it. :D

Gee, how bad does a date have to be for a girl to fake her own death?

Archived