SASS Wire Forum

How to ship ammo

Irish Pat

I would like to send a few boxes of 45 colts to my son in Colorado.  I plan to use Fed Ex.  Anyone shipped ammo before? Anything special I should do? Irish ☘️ Pat

So I was just looking into this myself. Check this page out, FedEx requirements for all kinds of stuff. 

HazMat-FXG-shipping-guide.pdf (fedex.com) 

You need to have a white diamond on the side of the box along with some other requirements. Diamond image is in the PDF and I just made one in MS Paint. 

Just make sure you get the address correct. All ammo shipment needs to go to a certified ammo depot where it will reside until it is cleared for general use.

That address is:

Cholla

Prescott, Arizona

USA

Seriously,

UPS seems easy to ship ammo when I do. I just slap a few of these on the sides and take it to a UPS hub or gun-friendly partner like ACE Hardware.

image.png.c11649425d03c04ac040356a8172f0da.png

+1 to Cholla.

Last two ammo shipments for me have gone thru UPS.

One to Tennessee, and one to Washington state.
I took one out to Fedex, and was told by the clerk that they no longer accept ammo for shipment.
No problemo thru UPS.

Just print up two copies of the diamond above, and take them to the sides of the box.

--Dawg 

I've used UPS plenty of times for loaded ammo. Never tried FexEx. With UPS, you must have the white/black diamond shown in Cholla's post. The last time I shipped ammo, I was told that UPS had the decal....they did not. They handed me a black lumber crayon and had me draw the marking on the box on several sides....it got to it's destination just fine. You MUST take the package to a UPS Customer Service Center. A UPS hub or Ups Store will not accept shipment of ammo. All loaded ammo must be shipped ground, air shipment is not allowed.

Biggest thing about shipping ammo is to package it securely. Use foam or cut up cardboard spacers to secure ammo in the shipping box to make sure it doesn't slide around during shipment. The very last ammo that I shipped was 2 - .30 caliber ammo cans that were stuffed to the gills with M1 Garand ammo in clips. I used wood paneling for the top, bottom and sides. I then used the cardboard spacers to assure that it didn't slide around and break out of the box. The ammo recipient was happy and sent me a message thanking me for packing it so securely.

As a side note, primed brass with no powder or bullet is NOT considered loaded ammo and does not require the marking. It still must be shipped ground however.

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

Seriously,

UPS seems easy to ship ammo when I do. I just slap a few of these on the sides and take it to a UPS hub or gun-friendly partner like ACE Hardware.

image.png.c11649425d03c04ac040356a8172f0da.png

You wanna check to make sure that this is still required???

Don't think it is.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You wanna check to make sure that this is still required???

Don't think it is.

Phantom

I know for a fact that it was required (at least by UPS) two months ago when I shipped live ammo via UPS.

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I know for a fact that it was required (at least by UPS) two months ago when I shipped live ammo via UPS.

Hmmmm...For some reason I remember reading recent information regarding no longer needing ORM-D markings on ammo shipments...or maybe you just need to put the stoopid icon on the box and not mark it ORM-D.

Good thing I don't ship ammo cuz obviously I'm painfully ignorant.

Phantom

Last week, FEDEX said they no longer took ORM-D.

Went to UPS & they said ammo with ORM-D would no longer be accepted, & that the label on the box needed that image that Cholla put up a picture of.

--Dawg

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hmmmm...For some reason I remember reading recent information regarding no longer needing ORM-D markings on ammo shipments...or maybe you just need to put the stoopid icon on the box and not mark it ORM-D.

Phantom

I read that they no longer use the ORM-D markings and went to the international diamond I posted. It works because the UPS guy new instantly what I was shipping but was puzzled why I was selling ammo when it was so hard to find.

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Maybe time to change my signature line......:P

Archived