SASS Wire Forum

EOT 21 Plainsman Update and Details

For all of those who are attending EOT 2021 and are interested in shooting or watching the Plainsman side match here is an update on how to sign up,  when it’s going to happen and  what to expect.

Please sign up when you pick up your registration package at the clubhouse and let them know what category you will be shooting.

There will be 1st thru 3rd awarded for the following categories.

Men’s and Ladies / Traditional,  Senior Traditional,  Modern and Senior Modern

Please contact me or consult the SASS Rule Book if you have any questions regarding what category your rifle might qualify you for.

The plainsman match will be held Tuesday 6/22      Starting at 12:00 Noon on Stage 7 / Blacksmiths Shop  and we hope to finish by 3:00 PM

We will be shooting 4 stages, 2 on stage 7 and 2 on stage 8

The Round Count will be approximately       40 Pistol  /   35 Rifle  /  20 Shotgun plus make ups   

Rifle targets will be set at 50 yards +/- or less

If you have never seen or participated in Plainsman, this is your chance to check it out first hand.  If you like Black Powder and having a good time,  I guarantee that you’ll love it

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me via Messenger.

Best regards,

Chili Pepper Pete / L11917

Any hawk throwing, bow shooting, lance chucking, body dragging, etc? Or is it just a cowboy stage with different guns and target distance. I used to enjoy Plainsman until it turned into a gun shooting only event.

Assassin 9836L

Ohhh please Mr Pete. I’m a terrible shot, but I throw a mean Lance, I can strike a match and light a fuse, body dragging is one of my specialty’s.

Ohhh and please put these activities on the clock!!

I would be most pleased if everyone with a SASS# over 40,000 walked by and said “ what the Hell are they doing?”

Cahawba Kid

SASS 24792

Thanks for the info CPP I was going to ask.  I will bring my stuff and enter this plainsman event. That is a lot more Rifle than I am use to for 4 stages. :ph34r: Looking forward to it.

Scout

Please do not make fun of me for asking this...or at least wait until we meet at EOT. What exactly is the Plainsman category. What toys do I need to bring to play. Are there caliber minimums for rifle or pistols. I normally do not shoot side matches but this is sounding like fun and I do not even know  what it is. I did not see it in the shooters book or did I overlook it?

Sgt Hochbauer

SGT., P.29 of the Shooters' Handbook:

"This event requires two .36 caliber or larger Frontiersman Category style percussion revolvers, shot Duelist style. - Must use a SASS legal single shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-.30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle. .38 Special is legal. - Must use a side by side or single shot shotgun, with or without exposed hammers, or a lever action shotgun. - Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun)."

CS

13 hours ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

Please do not make fun of me for asking this...or at least wait until we meet at EOT. What exactly is the Plainsman category. What toys do I need to bring to play. Are there caliber minimums for rifle or pistols. I normally do not shoot side matches but this is sounding like fun and I do not even know  what it is. I did not see it in the shooters book or did I overlook it?

Sgt Hochbauer

Sgt. Hochbauer,  Since you are signed up for the main match as a Frontiersman,  you already have almost everything you need.  Your main match Percussion pistols and shotgun should work just fine.   The only thing you need is a single shot rifle. 

Most Plainsman use an H&R Handi Rifle,  Rem. Rolling Block, Win 1885 or a Trap Door.   There are others that work but it must have an external hammer. 

Most shooters use 45-70 or 38-55 but you may also use, 45 LC, 44-40, 38-40 or even 38 Special.  Most find that the smaller shells are harder to control with single loading but they may be used.  

The categories are broken into two main groups based on how the rifle expels the empty cases.   Traditional has extractors, which for us means that if you open the action, the shells will come partially out but not clear the chamber without some other external force.  The Trap Door is the only ejector rifle that also falls into the Traditional category.   In the Modern category the rifle may have an ejector that will fully eject the case from the gun.   H&R Handi Rifles and Newer Win 1885s are the most common in this category.  Please note that H&R Handi Rifles come in both configurations depending on when made and how it is set up so they can be found in either category depending on how it extracts.   

You may want to do a search on the Wire as there was a post a few months ago about popular Plainsman Rifles ?

I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance please let me know.   

Best regards,

Chili

15 hours ago, Cahawbakid said:

Ohhh please Mr Pete. I’m a terrible shot, but I throw a mean Lance, I can strike a match and light a fuse, body dragging is one of my specialty’s.

Ohhh and please put these activities on the clock!!

I would be most pleased if everyone with a SASS# over 40,000 walked by and said “ what the Hell are they doing?”

Cahawba Kid

SASS 24792

Hey Cahawbakidkid

I am not sure what other non shooting activities I am going to include but I'm sure I'll add something.   Because I have elected to have more rifle shots then what's considered normal it will probably be minimal but who knows.   

Thanks for your input and look forward to seeing everyone there.

Best regards,

Chili

As a guy who has not shot Plainsman before.....why would you ever get away from the stuff Assassin was talking about? That sounds awesome, and I have one of those new fangled 6 digit sass numbers. 

I said the same thing on the Facebook post: 

If you can sneak in a fella in that is only getting to shoot Wild Bunch, I'm all for it. I might even wear a disguise if need be. Just picked up some '61 navies a few weeks ago to go with my trapdoor. I was signed up for cowboy side matches before the relocation, but with the change in fee structure this option fell through.

I’m TOTALLY intrigued!!! A customer offered to share his firearms... this could be SOOO much fun! I’ve never shot cap and ball before. Only shot single shot in long range. 

CAN’T wait for EOT!!  See y’all there!!

Bug Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived