SASS Wire Forum

Is it the gun or the scope?

Trigger Mike

A while back I bought a savage axis .223 that was on sale.  My son decided he wanted to use it for night hunting and put a green flashlight on the scope. 

He went to sight it in and a nice group was high and left.  We adjusted the reticle and it brought it more in line but not quite there.

Then bullets started going everywhere.   One round upper right, another upper left, many below the target completely.   I'm wondering if it was the mount but everything seemed tight.  It was one of those that came with a scope from the factory. 

Also check to make sure the screws holding the action to the stock haven't  loosened up. And scope mount screws.

Probly that wonky thing causing the problem!

Cat Brules

I would start from scratch. Remove the scope and Loctite (blue) all the base and ring screws. Remove the action and check the bedding. Put everything back together and make sure a piece of paper can slide between the barrel and stock without binding. Resight it. If there is still a problem, get a new, quality scope. 

12 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

He mounted the flashlight on the scope itself?  That can cause numerous problems. 

Tell him to mount the light under the forearm and leave the scope alone. 

I suggested that to him and told him tomorrow we will try it.  

About... oh, thirty-five years ago or so, Hank and I were hunting in Siskiyou County in Northern California.

I had spotted a HUGE buck, moseying along with three does.  I worked my way into a position where I thought I might be able to get a shot, if he followed the route I expected.

He did.

So there I was... Mister Buck comes along and stops.  Standing stock still, about seventy yards from me, perfect broadside target.  Looking like the Hartford Stag hisself.  I had a nice tree branch for a rest... centered the crosshairs right on his "boiler room."  Perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  I touched off the shot and he hauled a$$.

I was astonished.  After a few minutes I made my way to where he'd been, hoping to find a blood trail.  Nope.  Nada.

About twenty minutes later as I was walking down a trail, Hank comes along with his pickup.  I got in, he looked at me and when he saw the look on my face (total disgust) didn't even ask.

"Hank, drive up to the gravel pit!"

When we got there, I found an old refrigerator box.  I marked a bull on the thing, set it out at about seventy yards, and, using the pickup bed as a rest, fired four shots.  Could not even hit the box!

I took out screwdriver and discovered that every single screw in the rings and bases were loose.  

I remembered then that when I mounted the scope, I couldn't find my tube of Loc-Tite.   Well... there'd been a hard freeze the night before - and the rifle had been in the truck, and that was that.

Loc-Tite is your friend!  ;)

(Ruger 77, 300 Win Mag, Leupold Vari-X II) 

Howdy,

Purple loctite.

If you cant find it on shelf, just ask at local auto store.

They got some for me it one day.

They dont get a lot of call for it.

Its lighter than blue and easier to take apart.

Also the scope should lay in the rings and slide easy.

If you need a scope dont forget Redfield.

Best

CR

The Savage Axis, like many other entry-level bolt guns, has a light-weight, thin barrel that is great for carrying and firing an occassiinal round.  If it being shot so fast that the barrel gets hot, it will simply spray bullets.  Guns that will be fired quicker, like varmint or competituve guns, have thicker stronger barrels and often have fluting to disipate the heat quicker.

39 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

The Savage Axis, like many other entry-level bolt guns, has a light-weight, thin barrel that is great for carrying and firing an occassiinal round.  If it being shot so fast that the barrel gets hot, it will simply spray bullets.  Guns that will be fired quicker, like varmint or competituve guns, have thicker stronger barrels and often have fluting to disipate the heat quicker.

Yup.  I have a Ruger No. 1AB in .270 that has a ridiculously thin barrel - at the muzzle, the barrel walls are .1 inch.

It shoots well if I shoot it slo-oo-ow.  Anything faster than that and it'll shoot a pattern instead of a group.

But it's too purty to replace or part with.  ^_^

It wears an inexpensive scope, but high-end glass would be a waste.   

Those Savage package rifles are notorious for the base screws to be loose.  When working the sight in service here if someone has one of those that has not been shot yet I will take the scope and mounts off and start over.  Some times the screws can be turned with just the screwdriver bit in the fingers.

I do wish Savage would get this under control.

Howdy,

Sounds like they need to hire Mongo from the Uberti folks.

Those screws dont turn for nothin.

Best

CR

Archived