SASS Wire Forum

HVAC tape legal on front rifle sight?

Go West

I sometimes lose my rifle sight on a stage and wondered if covering it in aluminum HVAC tape would be legal. I checked the rules and it seems to be ok to do so. Many folks are using the brass sight covers on their pistols and this seems to be a cheap way to something similar on a rifle. This stuff comes in rolls and has adhesive on one side. I could easily get a piece off my furnace at no cost. 

Interesting idea.   Sight covers a wider than I would like.        GW

I use gold leaf paint from the craft store and a layer of clear nail polish for my pistols. I’m sure that would work for my rifle as well.

im not sure a piece of tape at the end of your rifle is what your looking for or will it be durable enough.  Take a look at exterior modifications in the handbook and make sure the tape would be in compliance.  Don’t want you to get a dq in a state or larger shoot.

I can't find any reference to "tape" in the SHB (other than grip tape is not allowed).

There are many other approved methods available. (REF: SHB pp. 34-35)

Any firearm modification not specifically referenced in this Handbook is prohibited.

SHB p.32

If you are talking about the front bead, I've used a dab of white epoxy in an emergency.  Works great.

Since this topic was brought up, regarding coloring your sights, quoting page 34 from the January 2021 shooter hand book:

- Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era. Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

- Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

- Rear and front sights may be “blacked,” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

At a recent match, I saw someone with fluorescent orange painted front sights. I'm not sure how strictly these rules are enforced, such as at a match like EoT. But folks should be careful.

2 hours ago, vidette said:

Since this topic was brought up, regarding coloring your sights, quoting page 34 from the January 2021 shooter hand book:

At a recent match, I saw someone with fluorescent orange painted front sights. I'm not sure how strictly these rules are enforced, such as at a match like EoT. But folks should be careful.

Always a problem when rules are not enforced at local level. That shooter will go to state match, get penalized, whine “it’s allowed at my club”!

52 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Always a problem when rules are not enforced at local level. That shooter will go to state match, get penalized, whine “it’s allowed at my club”!

Exactly. In the past 9 months I’ve seen 2 shooters get stage DQ’s for using a 93/97 at a 2 day cowboy match. When told it was an illegal shotgun for a cowboy match, both shooters said that they had been using them locally all the time and nobody ever questioned them. It’s a hard lesson learned that way. 

At our monthly matches we have a few shooters who never shoot anywhere else.  Never travel to other clubs. If they have some illegal gun or mod or clothing, I always point out that if they shoot somewhere else that won’t fly. Safety rules are always enforced. 

"Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed. - Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights. - Rear and front sights may be “blacked,” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material." SHB p.34

HVAC tape is not the material silver, but is the color silver which can be applied according to this section. 

9 minutes ago, Go West said:

"Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed. - Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights. - Rear and front sights may be “blacked,” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material." SHB p.34

HVAC tape is not the material silver, but is the color silver which can be applied according to this section. 

I’m thinking tape not allowed. 

Just now, Hoss said:

I’m thinking tape not allowed. 

Why?

People use very thin brass sheet which is then glued on. The tape is metallic and the proper color it just has the adhesive already on it.

kR

2 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Why?

People use very thin brass sheet which is then glued on. The tape is metallic and the proper color it just has the adhesive already on it.

kR

Tell ya what, go to the rules and see what it says.

Something that has adhesive on it does not make it tape.

Phantom

1 minute ago, Kid Rich said:

Why?

kR

Can’t answer that one. But PWB has already spoken on tape. 

This has been presented to the Range Operations Committee (ROC) for a ruling as to whether the application of TAPE to a firearm sight falls under the "plating" allowance.

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

This has been presented to the Range Operations Committee (ROC) for a ruling as to whether the application of TAPE to a firearm sight falls under the "plating" allowance.

I know of several top shooters that do use adhesive backed metal tape on their front sights.

kR

13 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I know of several top shooters that do use adhesive backed metal tape on their front sights.

kR

Unless a previous ruling can be cited regarding the approval of applying tape, that does NOT make it LEGAL.

There is a process for requesting approval in event that the ROC disagrees with that interpretation:

Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters. Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the only source of approval. Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.

SHB p.32

image.png

Archived