SASS Wire Forum

Out of battery 1873

Lunger Dan

45C  Starline brass relatively new, 5.4 gr titegroup, 200 gr rnfp from bayou bullets.  Uberti 1873 with action done by Cody, less than 3 years on it with only once a month shoots so not alot of milage on it
Last stage of the day,first round.
Extracted through magazine-so not mangled trying to get it out.
Bent the lever up read good...
lever safety seems to be "springy" and working still
Opened action to chamber round, felt resistance upon closing-slight "re-open" lever and attempt to close again-not hard either-then boom-couldnt close lever until I finagled with the trigger and lever at same time when I got home.

Its going back for Cody to fix 1st week of June...but trying to figure out how/what happened-out of morbid curiosity/so I dont f it up again....

Any ideas by seeing brass?

IMG_4432.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG

Is the chamber/barrel clear?  My guess, without having the rifle in hand, is that you had a squib.   When you tried to chamber the round the last time, the momentum of the firing pin extension or a stuck firing pin fired off the round.

I see a budge towards the bottom of the case.  That would not eject or chamber well.

So in technical terms, something's broke.

Cody can fix it and possibly give more info.

Hope that helps.  :D

Several years ago I had two OOB in the same match.The rifle would run ,but just didn't  feel right.I fought it for quite a while until we found that the lever was bent.Not very much but enough to throw things out of adjustment. Once the lever was put back right I have had zero malfunctions with that rifle.

Didn't  help my performance  , I still do stupid stuff.

Federal primers and jiggling the lever while attempting to chamber a cartridge is the easiest way to get an out of battery discharge on any toggle link rifle.

The firing pin of any toggle link rifle has a lot of mass.

If you send it back, send back the brass with it. It's always helpful to have some of the deformed brass with the firearm. Ask him if he wants some of the ammo too. That can tell you a lot too. 

1 hour ago, Null N. Void said:

Is the chamber/barrel clear?  My guess, without having the rifle in hand, is that you had a squib.   When you tried to chamber the round the last time, the momentum of the firing pin extension or a stuck firing pin fired off the round.

Barrel and chamber clear-previous stage was clean shoot with rifle

How often do you clean the firing pin pocket?  A stuck firing pin can cause an OOB.

Archived