SASS Wire Forum

A Watershed Sign

Subdeacon Joe

Aahhh... The Great Divide.  :)

Reminds me of that old The Band song of that title ~ ain't got a thing to do with the actual Great Divide, but still a good tune.  ^_^

a product of our current educational system i fear - keep it between the buoys , know which is green and which is red or youll end up on the rocks , 

The divide runs through Fort Wayne. I had to deal with different discharge regulations depending on which side my plants were on. 

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

a product of our current educational system i fear - keep it between the buoys , know which is green and which is red or youll end up on the rocks , 

Left / port is red.  Right / Starboard is right.

Left, port, and red each have fewer letters than right, starboard, and green.

Courtesy of Mel Swenson, a Boy Scout leader when I was a kid. 

We have a divide of sorts where I work. Some of the water flows south and into a private lake resort. Some flows south east and bypasses the lake. The rest flows east and bypasses the lake as well.  No construction on the 600 plus acres is allowed to change the percentage of water that flows into each of the drainage outlets. The most touchy being the amount of water flowing into the lake.  

8 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Riddle 

Is it the bulb or the lense that makes the port running light green?

Neither, it 's envy.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:43 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Left / port is red.  Right / Starboard is right.

Left, port, and red each have fewer letters than right, starboard, and green.

Courtesy of Mel Swenson, a Boy Scout leader when I was a kid. 

When I'm teaching sailing, I use port wine is red.  Most sailors have no problems remembering something related to alcohol. :P

I lived a while in Bavaria on the Uncle’s nickel. There was a hand pump and watering trough in a local park that sat on a slight hill. 

Water that flowed out one side eventually got to the Elbe River and North Sea. The other side went to the Danube and Black Sea. 

Archived