SASS Wire Forum

High Sierra Shootout (aka Railroad Flat!)

Tuolumne Lawman 6127

Hello the camp fire.  Many here may remember the Railroad Flat match, as in the early 90s, it was one of the first and premier annual matches on the west coast.  I went to my first annual match at Railroad Flat in 1995.  At that time, there was a Suttlers row with two dozen tents or stalls, and about 150-180 shooters. To a new SASS shooter like me it was Cowboy Shooting Disneyland! ...  There was playing poker with Bean Pot and the gang at the Gouge Eye Saloon, Cowboy Poetry, home made dutch oven biscuits and "Apple Pie" (the drink, not the pastry!) at the River Junction tent, and much more.  Rio Justice, Diamond Dick, Wild Bill Briscoe, Sand Dollar, and Tinker were the big names of RR Flat back then, and are now all gone

Well, it is still going this Memorial day weekend.  It was cancelled because of Rain in 2019, and COVID in 2020, but it is a go now for 2021.  It will probably have around 50-60 shooters, but it is still an awesome match.  Thursday there is a 3 stage wild Bunch match (which will be my first WB match), as well as lots of side matches.  Friday will be six stages, and Friday night a 3 stage Black Powder only lantern light match by the "Damn it (I missed) Gang".  Saturday will be another 6 stages, and Sunday some fun matches and mano y mano show downs.   I am headed there Wednesday to set up camp and hook up with Abilene Drifter.  He has been going to the match as long as me.

Wild Bunch I will be using my Rock Island 1911A1, original 1897 Winchester take down with an 18.5" barrel, and a Marlin 1894 Century Limited in .44-40.

My BP match will be my HRA 1860 Henry in .44-40, my pair of .45 Colt 1872 Open Tops, and Ithaca Lefever 12 GA 18" double.  That will also be my armory for about half of the main match.

The other Half of the main match will be my 1897 Winchester, 1894 .44-40 Marlin Century, my newly acquired Colt 1873 SAA (1977 vintage) .45 Colt, and one of my 1872 Open Tops...

Side matches will be my Marlin .30-30, HRA .45-70 Single Shot, and H&R .38 S&W top break.

Should be fun.  I can not wait....

It's been a long time since we attended Railroad Flat.  Beautiful setting with pine trees all over and once upon a time, bison in the pasture across the road.  And don't forget the infamous ore cart!

Enjoy!

AH yes, Tinker's (now Peaceful's) Ore Cart!  One time Rio Justice forgot to load his pistols on that stage, and when he drew and realized it, he went  "Bang, Bang..." 10 times with his empty pistols!  That was class!

Also, there was "Fur Lickin Fred" and his motorized miniature rideable covered wagon gun. cart that they would not let him use at EOT!

Hi Doc!  I will do that when we commiserate over cigars and Bushmill's Irish Whiskey the first night.  I will probably be the only tent camper there this year, though my wife and I figure at 68, it is about time to retire and travel. We will probably pick up one this fall.

Yep, that is the fall version of High Sierra Shoot out.  I went in 2019, in the pre-COVID world.

Slo Mo and I will be there! It's a great place to shoot! As far as the Gouge Eye, there's never been a better saloon!

I woke up upside down (head first) in my sleeping bag after a marathon drinking and poker game with Bean Pot, Abilene Drifter,  and "The KId" who was a 14 year old card sharp that took out money!

Never been to the Cowboy shoot there, but I have been to a couple of the Buckskinner rendezvous back in the late 70's and early 80's. Lots of fun back then, too.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

I woke up upside down (head first) in my sleeping bag after a marathon drinking and poker game with Bean Pot, Abilene Drifter,  and "The KId" who was a 14 year old card sharp that took out money!

Oh man, I had such a great time with that kid. Got a ton of stories.  If he's paying attention, let me know when you're in town next.  I'll make chili, and it's gotten better since you had it last.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

I remember sitting in the Gouge Eye and the "KID" giving us Rowdy's private stash of cigars and whiskey. Jim came in and we all had a good laugh about that!!!!

Too many memories to share in this small space. One of the best matches we've ever been to!!

Jasper

Archived