SASS Wire Forum

Something new that I learned about mules

May be an image of horse and outdoors

Have you ever wondered why they cut a mules tail in "bells"? Back in the day.....the Army used mules in service. A green mule had its tail shaved. By the time the mule was broke to pack, a 'bell' was trimmed in the tail. Once broke to drive, a second bell was added below the first. Broke to ride, a third tassel was trimmed below the second. Thus, a three-bell mule was a well-schooled animal. This way, when looking at a corral full of unknown mules, it was easy to identify which one to select for the job at hand! From our friend Tim K

That IS VERY interesting to know!

Cat Brules

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Now, if women would do the same thing...it'd make life a lot easier.:ph34r:

I'll go hide now.

Found one!

image.jpeg.94896b0d2b9f09f41cee458f7b764557.jpeg

She can pack, drive and ohhhhh never mind… :rolleyes:

I found an old book at the library when I was a kid that was about racing mules. There were pictures throughout and they were fast looking animals. I don't recall much about it other than the pictures. I just checked online and apparently, mule racing still goes on.

Mules served in various militaries until at least the end of WWII.  I know they were used during the Italian campaign in the mountains and were extensively used by the British Indian Army in the various campaigns on the Northwest Frontier for over a hundred years and in Burma during WWII.  Mules could go farther on less forage than horses and they could go places even jeeps couldn't go.  

For those of you that are withing traveling distance of Bishop California, there will be a celebration of all things related to mules memorial day weekend. 

When I was stationed at China lake is was one place we went every year. If you have never seen a pack scramble I highly recommend watching it.

The event this year will have to comply with a bunch of covid protocols but will happen.

Mule Days 2021

Mule Days Celebration Logo

6 packing teams with 5 mules and 3 horses each, untack them all and set them loose in an arena only to then go gather them all up and repack them in order to be the first around the track with all packs in tack! Hilarious to watch.

This race the packs look pretty standard. Back when I was attending the packs consisted of big blue plastic barrels, 10 foot sections of PVC pipe in various sizes, a kids plastic wading pool, and other odd shaped over sized stuff that had no real place to attach a rope to.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'll go hide now.

Women do the same thing to us, we've just not discovered the code yet.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'll go hide now.

Run. And zig zag. You can expect incoming any moment.

Brand new to the Army, does not know anything, has to be trained to be useful.

That does sorta sound like a second lieutenant.

My dad was kicked in the forehead by a mule when he was young. Carried the scar to his grave.

I'd like to log our Michigan property but don't want it tore up. I've been told of an outfit that hauls the logs out with mules. Less damage.  Might look them up 

On 5/21/2021 at 3:55 AM, Texas Joker said:

¿Hence the phrase 'shave tail'?

Confirmed.   Merriam Webster online has this entry:

shavetail

noun

shave·tail | \ ˈshāv-ˌtāl

Definition of shavetail

1 : a pack mule especially when newly broken in

2 usually disparaging : second lieutenant

First Known Use of shavetail

1846, in the meaning defined at sense 1

History and Etymology for shavetail

from the practice of shaving the tails of newly broken mules to distinguish them from seasoned ones

good luck, GJ

learned somthin new here , i did not know that , but then ive never gotten on well with mules and had no occasion to learn such , good to know should i ever have the need to select one tho 

Archived