SASS Wire Forum

Good all round pistol powder? Thanks

Dusty Boots

I am starting to reload after several years of not reloading.  Given the cost of powder, l would like to know is there a good “all round” powder type that works for several calibers. I will be reloading for SASS and plinking, shooting 38/357, 44spl/44 mag, 45lc/45acp and 9mm. I would like to buy in bulk as it appears to be more cost effective than buying 1 lb jugs. All guidance appreciated.

Thanks to all who responded...by count of most mentioned

1 Unique - 11,

2(tied) Clays & 231 both -7,

3(tied) Red Dot & Titegroup both-6.

The other 8 powders mentioned all had 3 or less.

Will try to find any of the top three.

I have had success with Shooters World Clean Shot for 38 SPL, 45 Colt, 9mm, and 12 Gauge.  No experience with 44 SPL. 

For 38/357, 9mm, 44 spl and 45acp, I've had real good luck with Win 231, Bullseye and American Select. I don't know how they would work with a larger case fill like 44mag or 45Colt

2 minutes ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Shotgun powders like Clays, Red Dot and Solo 1000 work for all those calibers as well as shotgun. 

Add Clay -Dot to that list, too.

Titegroup, HP-38 (identical to Win 231), Unique.

And of course black powder and all the modern substitutes, if you are so inclined.

Since I am moving towards mostly coated bullets, I am going to buy more Sport Pistol.  I do not load BP or BP subs into 45 ACP or 9 mm Luger cases.  These cases are meant for smokeless powder.  My preference for smokeless handgun powders are those that meter well, are versatile, burn clean and are readily available (in normal times).  There are really lots of good choices.  I don't mind dirty burning powders for CAS.  Our cowboy guns run dirty pretty well.

Ah poo.  I forgot to Crow.  One can load anything that even resembles a CAS pistol/rifle cartridge with 3F APP.  Get you Smoke and Easy Clean-Up at the same time.  Only need ONE propellant for EVERYTHING.  (Even Shotgun you betcha)  :D

I too like HP38/Winchester 231, but good luck getting any!  This is a ball type powder that meters exceptionally well and is very clean unless you load it too light.  I also like Titegroup in larger cases, but it does have a very sharp report and at least in my opinion a considerably stiffer recoil impulse as well.  I have also found that most of the fast shotgun powders work well in target loads for handguns and have used Clays, Red Dot, and recently Clay Dot since it was all I could find.  However, if I had to choose just one powder for everything I load, then Unique would probably be the all around best choice.  Good luck and good shooting to all.    

14 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I use Titegroup for all my pistol caliber reloading.....

Same here.  9mm, 40 S&W and 45 Colt.

.32 S&W

.32 S&W Long

.32-20
.32 Nagant

.38 S&W

.38 Short Colt

.38 Long Colt

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.44 Special

.44 Magnum

.44-40

.45 Colt

.45 Auto Rim [A reduced power load safe for use in Webley revolvers]

.45 ACP [A standard power load used in 1911's and Tommy Guns.]

56-50 Spencer

.30-30

.30-40

.30-'06

.32 Winchester Special

7mm Mauser

8mm Mauser

.45-70

I use the same powder for all of the above.

Trailboss.

That's pretty all around, I think.

It does not work in .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9mm Parabellum or .38 Super.  At least, not in autoloaders.   It would probably be fine for reduced power loads in any revolvers chambered for those calibers.  [They do exist]   I do wanna see if it'll work in .38 ACP someday, but I'll need a gun in that caliber first.  

I use Red Dot for 12 Gauge, .30 Mauser and .30 Tokarev.   I have also used it as a substitute for a few of the above when I was out of TB and I've seen data for pretty much everything I listed above.

Goex 3F ,,,,,,, Or  Red Dot I buy it in a box with two 8 pound jugs in the box .... Promo Is the cheaper version of RED DOT . 

I have used it in .38 spl, .357 Mag. , .44 spl. , .45 Colt, .38-40 , 12,16 and 20 ga. Shot shells. 

Jabez Cowboy 

On 5/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Shotgun powders like Clays, Red Dot and Solo 1000 work for all those calibers as well as shotgun. 

Solo 1000 is a dandy powder for all around use, but I think it has been discontinued. I used it to load skeet rounds years ago. Unique gets a vote, as does Red Dot. I like Clays best of all. Great powder IMO.

I have good loads using Titegroup for all my cowboy pistol and rifle rounds.

I use Reddot for my shotgun.

I use Reddot for acceptable and cheaper loads in cowboy. 44 mag and .45 Colt loads.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You can load everything in SASS, including SG, with Unique. 

WW231 is a good second choice. 

OLG 

Unique offers a very wide variety of published loads.
OP, it covers all your requirements.

Archived