SASS Wire Forum

What weight Mobil 1 oil to use for BP in Rugers & Marlin

Eyesa Horg

Title says it all. Also, which Mobil 1 grease do you all like for BP. I have Clenzoil on hand and M-Pro 7 LPX which states on the msds that it has petroleum distillates, couldn't find anything on Clenzoil.

Goin to the darkside for the first time this Sunday. Yee-Haw

Thanks,

EH

I always thought I was bit weird, but as this would otherwise NEVER come up otherwise, I'll declare here,  paraffin based Automatic Transmission Fluid is liberally used on all my cap and flint locks as well as my C&B actions.

Dusty

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP first you asked about oil weight.

Then you say grease. 

Which is it, or both.:huh:

OLG 

Mainly the oil, but I believe they have different greases too. I knew someone would catch that. :)

Thank you folks. Looks like 5w-20 on the oil and red grease if needed. I've used a Valvoline synthetic grease on my C&B arbors.  But having not ever shot BP out of my Marlin or my Rugers, thought oil would be a better product.

Much Obliged,

Eyesa

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

For our guns...I don't know why anyone would use grease...does nothing but hold in crap.

I didn't understand using this at first either, but it was suggested to me when shooting my 51's/60's C&B's to use some on the base pin to help prevent binding when using real black.  Afterwards, I found it easier to cleanup.  No caked on fouling.  Same thing when I used it in the guts of the gun.  I used to use olive oil, but then I would have weird cravings for freshly sliced tomato's with mozzarella and basil.

PLUS ONE to Phantom . . . . Except

I shoot Cap Guns.  Or Open Tops.  Use Mobil 1 Grease on the Arbors.  Tube of that will last a Long long long long . . . . . . . .

2 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

I use Mobil 28 grease and Mobil 1   20/50.    Mobil 28 grease is similar to Brian Enos slide glide, but cheaper, it is used in the aircraft field.  The grease stays where you put it and it works.

Grease is generally used for heavy load applications or where one needs long time application. In an open environment that's rather exposed to contaminants, it a poor lube.

If you never fire or clean your guns...I guess grease is good.

Phantom

I prefer (Mobil 1 red) grease for heavy pressures that are not exposed to dirt and blow-back. 

So it works very well on rifle levers, the internal links. pistol arbors, and even the hammers of my rifle and 97's.

It is definitely a superior lubricant, but as Phantom says, in open places it gathers just which can become a grinding compound.

Archived